Author Topic: Former Springfield Jacksonville Jewish Center proposed for redevelopment  (Read 1093 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The former Jacksonville Jewish Center could be the next property to join revitalization efforts in Springfield. 

Developer Springfield Lofts LLC wants to secure $3 million in taxpayer-backed incentives to convert the space into a $14.8 million mixed-use residential and commercial office project.

The project includes 78 market-rate residential units and 8,000 square feet of commercial office space, according to a Jan. 23 memorandum from the City’s Office of Economic Development.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/former-springfield-jacksonville-jewish-center-proposed-for-redevelopment
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

Re: Former Springfield Jacksonville Jewish Center proposed for redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Wasn't this supposed to happen like 5 years ago?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:12:28 PM »
Yes, but I don't believe they were asking for incentives back then.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
Wasn't this supposed to happen like 5 years ago?

Here's what they proposed previously (link below) in 2016:
https://www.sparcouncil.org/revised_plans_for_springfield_lofts

I've seen the updated plans, it's a bit different.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:31:14 PM by Bill Hoff »

Steve

• The Jaxson
Glad to see this moving forward, but man, CM Becton doesn't get it. It's not a giveaway, it's trying to make a pro forma on a development work. The numbers likely won't work without the incentives.

Who paid for the road improvements into his brand new Ikea? I bet he didn't turn those down.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
Glad to see this moving forward, but man, CM Becton doesn't get it. It's not a giveaway, it's trying to make a pro forma on a development work. The numbers likely won't work without the incentives.

Who paid for the road improvements into his brand new Ikea? I bet he didn't turn those down.

Given that Becton's district has basically nothing older than what, the late 80s? Does he understand how to get it in this case?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Putting lexus lanes on I-295 East Beltway or building SR 9A with public funds is a giveaway. We've become so used to thinking these types of projects are of great public need, that we assume spending hundreds of millions on asphalt, concrete and sod is for the greater good.