Author Topic: Changed plans for Park Place at San Marco  (Read 7298 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Changed plans for Park Place at San Marco
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »

Following pushback from some in the neighborhood, the developers behind San Marco's planned Park Place apartment complex have tweaked their plans.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/changed-plans-for-park-place-at-san-marco/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

Re: Changed plans for Park Place at San Marco
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
I love that working with RSSM has resulted in a taller building with larger set backs.  Keep going until it's a 20 foot by 20 foot spire reaching 1,000 feet into the air.  It will be a global monument to their nimby-ism.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
I love that working with RSSM has resulted in a taller building with larger set backs.  Keep going until it's a 20 foot by 20 foot spire reaching 1,000 feet into the air.  It will be a global monument to their nimby-ism.

Heights Unknown likes that idea.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »

Yeah, it's quite the thing. To be fair, they apparently aren't happy with the current plans either.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 01:36:45 PM »
Very interested to see what the architectural changes are...

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
Them move to Ponte Vedra! 
So, the apartments against the garage are gone? 

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
SMPS is allegedly deciding tonight on whether to support the project or not.

jaxjags

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 08:19:09 PM »
Time to email all City Council Members again. All Jaxson's show your support. If not, I don't have a good feeling about this.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
SMPS came out against most of it.

In other news, water continues to be wet.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:35:56 PM »
The original design was less than 35 feet tall, they try and accommodate the hypocrites at alt-Right Size San Marco, which results in a height increase to 45 feet, now they are getting scolded for going above 35 feet....??  These guys just can't win.  I think everything about the previous site plan was better, but I just want this built.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
Alt-Right in San Marco?
Third Place

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 04:03:06 PM »
The original design was less than 35 feet tall, they try and accommodate the hypocrites at alt-Right Size San Marco, which results in a height increase to 45 feet, now they are getting scolded for going above 35 feet....??  These guys just can't win.  I think everything about the previous site plan was better, but I just want this built.

Agreed. About the only thing that may please these groups is 4 new McMansions with a plaque commemorating how great San Marco is surrounded by the 77th green space/passive park that no one uses.

Personally I would resubmit the original design with the only deviation being a giant phallic water feature on the garage fronting Mitchell.

Tacachale

• Administrator

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »
On a wide scale, this is the exact attitude that eventually results in $4,000 studio rents and a wide-sweeping homelessness crisis.  Just saying...it HAS happened to other cities and could happen here at some point in our distant future.

At some point, and while we still can, we should ask these opposition groups to draw up the plans and designs the DO want.  What is it that they DO want?  Can they hire an architect and engineer and pull permits and eventually hire a contractor and manage the construction and then lease-up of what they DO want?

I am not part of the conversation, so it could be that these opposition groups are working quite well hand in hand with Corner Lot, and maybe it is emotionally easy to arrive at a joint conclusion on what gets built.  My experience tells me that the personalities involved in opposition groups are quite difficult to handle and BECAUSE we aren't quite San Francisco yet in our NIMBYism, there should be pragmatism but also practicality.

Many precedents will be set by what happens with this development.  Let's not let any of them be bad precedents.

And by bad precedents - for anyone following the squatting Oakland moms...they DID end up getting the house!  Now that is an example of a BAD precedent.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/21/mothers-who-occupied-vacant-oakland-house-will-be-allowed-to-buy-it

(for background beyond what was stated in the above article, these moms took over this house with their children, shortly after it was bought out of foreclosure, and the company that bought the house actually offered to pay to relocate all of the moms/children and cover a period of rent somewhere, and these moms said HELL NO BITCH and continued squatting and drumming up a huge politically motivated PR campaign for their cause until there was so much bad press on the owner of the house that they were essentially forced to sell to a non-profit at appraised value...

the backlash against the movement is simple - it entirely erodes private property rights and sets incredibly bad precedent.  The way to solve homelessness and the issues that cause it is not to take property forcefully the way they did.)
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Transman

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 09:03:55 AM »
It is sad that a very small local group can hold up a good development. 

Basically, this is all about a few homes on one street and one person who just completed a new home opposite the development.  His home and the others have driveways and garages on the adjacent street where the apartments are going to be built.  There was nothing wrong with the original plan.  Now that San Marco Preservation Society has jumped on the bandwagon, we now have a bunch of people who really don't know anything and have no risk, trying to call the shots.

This is really bad for San Marco and Jacksonville.  There are a lot of places to build apartments and other developments than Jacksonville.  If I was a developer why would I want to mess around in the area with this type of grief?  There is a lot of developable land in the San Marco area, the word will get around and firms may not want to invest in the area, not good.