Author Topic: Downtown's Akers-Cody Building to be demolished?  (Read 971 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Downtown's Akers-Cody Building to be demolished?
« on: January 17, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »

In a city where structurally sound, historically significant properties come crashing down like dominoes, a building that was home to a luxury downtown retailer for 51 years may become the next to go.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/downtowns-akers-cody-building-to-be-demolished/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snaketoz

Re: Downtown's Akers-Cody Building to be demolished?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 09:30:07 AM »
Oh, the memories.. that intersection used to be the area for the best shopping in the area.  It was busy, vibrant, and always had the latest quality products available.  Wish it was like it was 60 years ago.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
When is this demolition, wrecking ball, and razing madness going to stop?
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:37:05 AM »
If the building is still able to support 8 floors of development above the current 2, I see no reason to demolish it.  If not and there are plans to increase the density of that block, then so be it.  However, the developer should be required to start construction of whatever comes next within 30 days of demolition.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
It will be interesting to see what they come up with but what has been mentioned so far is demolition to create a more open campus style setting. That gives an impression of a surface parking lot or pocket park as opposed to increased density.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »
If the building is still able to support 8 floors of development above the current 2, I see no reason to demolish it.  If not and there are plans to increase the density of that block, then so be it.  However, the developer should be required to start construction of whatever comes next within 30 days of demolition.

I have long advocated that the City not even have a demolition permitting process.  The demolition should be part of the building permit so we can see what the replace is going to be and be sure that financing and everything else is in place...first.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »

I have long advocated that the City not even have a demolition permitting process.  The demolition should be part of the building permit so we can see what the replace is going to be and be sure that financing and everything else is in place...first.

I actually agree with this in the urban core, save for areas where something catastrophic happens and the building is genuinely in danger of structural collapse.

A model could be the Southern Ground project in Avondale.

acme54321

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 12:22:28 PM »

What's up with that?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 01:35:08 PM »

What's up with that?

They’re demolishing a building on St Johns Ave in the shoppes of Avondale, and replacing it. It wasn’t a historic building but a vacant lot would look terrible. They agree to do it, so long as the permits for the demo and construction were filed simultaneously.

fieldafm

• Editor

Bativac

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
When is this demolition, wrecking ball, and razing madness going to stop?

Welcome to Jacksonville!!

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »

What's up with that?

They’re demolishing a building on St Johns Ave in the shoppes of Avondale, and replacing it. It wasn’t a historic building but a vacant lot would look terrible. They agree to do it, so long as the permits for the demo and construction were filed simultaneously.

Oh yeah.  Doesn't seem like there's been any movement on the project lately though.

jagsonville

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »

What's up with that?

Oh yeah.  Doesn't seem like there's been any movement on the project lately though.

They just demoed the entire former structure this week.

acme54321

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 08:24:54 PM »
Lol, well there ya go.

JaGoaT

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 11:10:54 PM »
At this point I’m starting to think there has to be some sort of secret influx of funding into the Downtown area. I refuse to believe They are destroying perfectly good buildings with no ready plan to replace them. This is happening way too frequently. So frequently that I’m developing conspiracies. Is Jax expecting a lot of Chinese investors? Are we getting Saudi oil money that’s trying to diversify??? WTF is going on?