Author Topic: USS ORLECK (DD-886) MOVING TO JACKSONVILLE FROM LAKE CHARLES, LA?  (Read 1506 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: USS ORLECK (DD-886) MOVING TO JACKSONVILLE FROM LAKE CHARLES, LA?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »
And the problem for me with ideas that fail (even if there is no cost) is that they reinforce the false narrative that downtown is a lost cause and won't be worth any investment.

This is the unfortunate thing and probably one of my largest concerns with spending so much money on Lot J. Without purposely clustering to create pedestrian scale synergy, many of the most expensive proposals out there will fail to be as successful as their backers claim. These failures will only result in making it more difficult to build support to finance the things that downtown really needs.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 02:31:50 PM »
Heights, this is the same group that tried to get the Adams.  I agree with you that it would be a good thing, but then I believe we are both navy vets.
Navy vet here... strongly oppose this rustbucket becoming our problem
"Rustbucket," LOLOLOL...she is very old, and probably is a rust bucket. I say give it a shot and see what happens. They are estimating almost 200,000 visitors a year I think. Don't know if that is a lot or not, but I'll bet with all the traffic that comes up and down I-10 and I-95, and I-295, I really believe quite a few visitors will stop in, tour it, and move on south; hopefully this will be the case along with superior marketing, promotion, etc. of the museum. And yes, our hearts have been broken before...it's coming, it's not coming, maybe it'll come, good chance it won't come, etc. Always getting our hopes high; but I hope they bring her on in and let's see whether it all comes together for the good of downtown and the city.
This ship was built in 1945... It certainly has not been  maintained well and will absolutely need more and more maintenance to keep it afloat and presentable. The Navy decommissions and retires ships every year. Get a relatively new ( modern) and maintained warship for this type of attraction and I am onboard...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
Heights, this is the same group that tried to get the Adams.  I agree with you that it would be a good thing, but then I believe we are both navy vets.
Navy vet here... strongly oppose this rustbucket becoming our problem
"Rustbucket," LOLOLOL...she is very old, and probably is a rust bucket. I say give it a shot and see what happens. They are estimating almost 200,000 visitors a year I think. Don't know if that is a lot or not, but I'll bet with all the traffic that comes up and down I-10 and I-95, and I-295, I really believe quite a few visitors will stop in, tour it, and move on south; hopefully this will be the case along with superior marketing, promotion, etc. of the museum. And yes, our hearts have been broken before...it's coming, it's not coming, maybe it'll come, good chance it won't come, etc. Always getting our hopes high; but I hope they bring her on in and let's see whether it all comes together for the good of downtown and the city.
This ship was built in 1945... It certainly has not been  maintained well and will absolutely need more and more maintenance to keep it afloat and presentable. The Navy decommissions and retires ships every year. Get a relatively new ( modern) and maintained warship for this type of attraction and I am onboard...

That was tried with the USS Adams, but the Navy said "No."  The Orleck is available because it has passed through several hands after the Navy decommissioned it.

acme54321

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
FWIW the Orleck is probably a better deal than the Adams.  It was decomissioned in 2000 and converted to a museum ship.  The Adams was decomissioned in 1990 and has sat ever since. I don't really think either is a great idea though. It will make a great artificial reef in 15 years.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:02:05 PM by acme54321 »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
Both should be reefs... why did the Navy decide to scrap Adams?  I believe it was because they didn't think our groups museum plan wasn't very good. Why would Orleck be any different?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

acme54321

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 06:07:47 PM »
Both should be reefs... why did the Navy decide to scrap Adams?  I believe it was because they didn't think our groups museum plan wasn't very good. Why would Orleck be any different?

It wont.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
My Dad served during WWII on Naval Ship LSM 82

Three or four decades later my Dad encouraged me to move from native and at one time past Idyllic Miami Native Neighborhood to Jacksonville.
Upon my arrival at JIA the first Jacksonville Showcase was...... Downtown Jacksonville.

I am certain my Dad would join me in No Support for parking/ placing a giant chunk Naval Hull Downtown in the guise of some sort of “ Attraction”.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
^Where did you live in Miami?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »

East Miami, bet.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »

North Miami

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »

East Miami, bet.
[/quote

Ha!...... born at Miami Beach, pretty Far East I guess.
Then North Miami.
Water environments: beaches, Miami River, Coconut Grove Sailing Club, Dinner Key, Biscayne Bay and often, as far West as possible; Everglades Conservation Areas, Big Cypress Preserve.....
Jackie Gleason Center, Eden Roc, Trail Glades Gun Range......my Dad gave me a Ruger Single Six for my birthday as soon I was old enough to possess handgun. My dad was an arch conservative with a good dose of Native Michigan Progressive outlook.
He would not be bogged down with chants of “ Liberal”, anti Military etc due to something like defending the Jacksonville Downtown viewscape from Navy Ship.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:49:35 PM by Florida Power And Light »