Author Topic: Rules Governing Mayoral Resignation/Recall  (Read 610 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Rules Governing Mayoral Resignation/Recall
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
I believe it's time to actually start this thread. I'm not saying that Mayor Curry will resign or be recalled, but this is the first time I've ever thought it could conceivably happen since I've lived here (1995):

(someone correct if any of this is wrong)

Vacancy in the Office
If the Mayor's Office becomes vacant, it is filled in this order:
1. City Council President (Currently Scott Wilson, likely to be Tommy Hazouri in July)
2. City Council Vice President (Tommy Hazouri)
3. Chair of the Rules Committee (Joyce Morgan)
4. Chair of the Finance Committee (Aaron Bowman)
5. (Council Designates an Acting Mayor)

A Special Election is then called by the Supervisor of Elections between 1 and 6 months in the future.

Recalling a Mayor
(this is governed by State Law, and is NOT simple)
1. Curry must be in office until July 1st, 2020 (25% of his term)
2. A recall petition must be approved for circulation (not sure by who). The petition must cite one of these reasons: malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty, drunkenness, incompetence, permanent inability to perform official duties, and conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude.
3. 5% of the registered voters in Duval County must sign it within 30 days (31,112 people).
4. The signatures must be provided to, "the auditor or clerk of the municipality or charter county, or his or her equivalent." Not sure who that is. The Clerk of Court is Ronnie Fussell, but I don't think that's who this refers to.
5. The "clerk" mentioned above presents to Supervisor of Elections (required to do so immediately), and the group organizing the petition has to pay $0.10/signature (to validate the signatures)
6. Assuming the SoE can validate the signatures (the SoE has 30 days), the SoE states this to the "clerk"
7. The "clerk" serves this to the Mayor
8. The Mayor has 5 days to respond with a statement in his defense.
9. The group organizing the petition has to then get a second set of signatures (15% of the electorate, or 93,337 people)
10. Repeat steps 4-6
11. The Mayor is given 5 days to resign.
12. If no resignation, then a recall election is staged between 30 and 60 days later.
13. If the mayor is recalled, then the vacancy is temporarily filled as if the Mayor had resigned.
14. Between 30 and 60 days later, the Chief Judge of the Circuit Court (not the SoE) calls a special election to elect a new Mayor.

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Rules Governing Mayoral Resignation/Recall
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »
Truly, I don't see a full recall happen as the process is crazy difficult. But conceivably, could the process start and could the Mayor resign during it (Nixon-esque)? I suppose.

Personally, I don't see it happening. If I had to predict, they get Brian Hughes and it stops there. Given the seriousness of the situation however, it's worth looking at.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »
Does being drunk on power count?

Also, prior to JEA, I felt the only reason we may be able to recall him would be for misfeasance, but I don't think that'd hold up well to the general public's scrutiny.

However, depending on these investigations, we might have a strong case for malfeasance. Bonus points; the investigations may wrap up around the time 25% of his term is over...

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »
I'll sign it.  In fact, I would help collect signatures.
Third Place

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
I have never heard as much talk from so many quarters about recalling a mayor as I have recently.  In fact, I haven't found anyone who is opposed to it although I have to admit I haven't spoken to his wife and kids  ;D

Would love to see a current opinion poll regarding his standing with the electorate.  How low can he go?

Tacachale

• Administrator
Rules for recalling the Mayor of Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »

Recent events have led some in the city to look into the rules for recalling the Mayor of Jacksonville. State and local law provide for two different procedures for recalling elected officials.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/rules-for-recalling-the-mayor-of-jacksonville/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 06:41:22 PM »
What will be the "charges" represented in a recall petition?

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
What will be the "charges" represented in a recall petition?

This could be a starting point:

Definition of misfeasance:  : trespass specifically : the performance of a lawful action in an illegal or improper manner