Author Topic: Jax Post-Jags  (Read 2558 times)

Kerry

Re: Jax Post-Jags
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2019, 08:36:36 AM »
It is sad that so many people think Jacksonville has nothing else to offer except the Jags.
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
It is sad that so many people think Jacksonville has nothing else to offer except the Jags.

I would say that some of the best things Jax has to offer are not well known outside of the city. And unfortunately, I don't think our city leaders do a good job of showcasing them or really maximising their potential.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »
I agree.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
If the Jags disappeared, bed taxes for other uses wouldn't go up. They'd likely go down for the foreseeable future, unless the Jags paid off the existing debt and we bulldozed the sports complex.

Don't give Lenny any ideas!

Peter Griffin

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »

I don't think there are many people who think the Jags are all that Jax has to offer. You're really pulling imaginary people out of thin air to make your point

This whole thread is a jag-off, not an actual discussion but a lightningrod to make your grievances even better known about the Jags

Boring!

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »

I don't think there are many people who think the Jags are all that Jax has to offer. You're really pulling imaginary people out of thin air to make your point

This whole thread is a jag-off, not an actual discussion but a lightningrod to make your grievances even better known about the Jags

Boring!

No.  The intent is to see what else could happen in Jax if the Jags were out of the equation.

Jax has some attributes that haven't been developed, some that are under developed, and some things that don't even exist - but should.
Third Place

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2019, 07:19:19 PM »

Boring!

Jax has some attributes that haven't been developed, some that are under developed, and some things that don't even exist - but should.

Just like every other city on earth...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »

Boring!

Just like every other city on earth...

So in what area do you think Jax is knocking it out of the park?  What is our success story?
Third Place

Snaketoz

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2019, 08:17:48 PM »
How is it possible to "have an attribute" that doesn't exist?

minder

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 08:28:29 PM »
Here are some effects:

Hotel stays and therefore the bed tax plummets. Most planned new hotels are canceled immediately.

Obviously there would be no more talk of stadium improvements, Lot J, the Shipyards, etc.

Nothing is ever built at the Landing site. Jags games were a major source of revenue for the bars and restaurants there, and that would be gone.

We fight like hell to keep the Florida-Georgia game and make the Gator Bowl relevant again. The former works and the latter doesn't.

Naive people hope that the loss of the Jags would lead to reinvestment in the Downtown core. The opposite happens: for a lot of people, the Jags are the only reason they think or care about Downtown, let alone go there.

We try to lure in MLS or something of that nature, spending as much on the stadium for that goal as we would have for football.

Jacksonville loses a big part of its culture and quality of life, and the civic pride that comes from thousands of people from all walks of life cheering for the same team.

Whichever mayor loses the Jags gets publicly tarred and feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail made from the stadium's less comfortable goalpost.
Spot on.

Theres an almost NIMBY like opposition to Khan from some quarters on here. Its bordering on petty.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
This right here. Downtown should have taken off after hosting the SB but all that energy pack and left with it. Jax went back to what it knows best, Middleburg's backyard. Let Kerry tell it and Jacksonville becomes San Diego with Baltimore's water front the day the Jags leave. Take this thread for what it's worth which is zero creditabilty!!

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »
How is it possible to "have an attribute" that doesn't exist?

Try reading it again.
Third Place

jaxjags

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2019, 10:58:01 PM »
Here are some effects:

Hotel stays and therefore the bed tax plummets. Most planned new hotels are canceled immediately.

Obviously there would be no more talk of stadium improvements, Lot J, the Shipyards, etc.

Nothing is ever built at the Landing site. Jags games were a major source of revenue for the bars and restaurants there, and that would be gone.

We fight like hell to keep the Florida-Georgia game and make the Gator Bowl relevant again. The former works and the latter doesn't.

Naive people hope that the loss of the Jags would lead to reinvestment in the Downtown core. The opposite happens: for a lot of people, the Jags are the only reason they think or care about Downtown, let alone go there.

We try to lure in MLS or something of that nature, spending as much on the stadium for that goal as we would have for football.

Jacksonville loses a big part of its culture and quality of life, and the civic pride that comes from thousands of people from all walks of life cheering for the same team.

Whichever mayor loses the Jags gets publicly tarred and feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail made from the stadium's less comfortable goalpost.
Spot on.

Theres an almost NIMBY like opposition to Khan from some quarters on here. Its bordering on petty.

I don't believe Khan or Lot J is a save all. But I agree with Tacachale's comments. Welcome back to the environment of 1989.

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2019, 11:18:18 PM »
Maybe I've over-estimated Jacksonville's potential.
Third Place

jaxjags

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2019, 12:14:41 AM »
No. But you may have over estimated Oklahoma City's potential without the Thunder.