Author Topic: Doro Fixture Site to be demolished, replaced with Apartments/Retail  (Read 7186 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Doro Fixture Site to be demolished, replaced with Apartments/Retail
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 05:18:17 PM »
I haven't seen the renderings yet. But currently taking a break by eating in an oyster house and bar that used to be an auto repair garage in a regular neighborhood in Charleston. It's pretty shocking to see how one city's trash is another's treasure.

Leon’s?
Yes!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »
I haven't seen the renderings yet. But currently taking a break by eating in an oyster house and bar that used to be an auto repair garage in a regular neighborhood in Charleston. It's pretty shocking to see how one city's trash is another's treasure.

Leon’s?
Yes!

Excellent. You should go across the street to Melfi’s if you like Italian.

jagsonville

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »
Does this project need rezoning?  The article doesn't mention rezoning, but do apartment fit in the same zoning as whatever Doro was?
Will Shad/Cordish oppose the rezoning? (competition for Lot J apartments)

I would think Khan would be all for all this project as it would make Lot J more viable.

I-10east

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »
^^^Yeah. I would be surprised if there is any pushback.

jagsonville

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 07:00:54 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/photo-gallery/design-approval-sought-for-the-doro-apartment-retail-and-restaurant-community

Well, it does look nice. Shame they are destroying the Doro buildings with all the available land downtown but I guess they are really banking and piggy backing off Lot J.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:03:54 PM by jagsonville »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 07:41:50 PM »

Leon’s?
Yes!

Nice.

We need another Charleston eating thread!  I ate my way through there a few weeks ago, but never really made it north of Market St.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2020, 09:08:02 PM »

Leon’s?
Yes!

Thanks! I saw quite a few places north of US 17 that I haven't paid much attention too in the past. I'll definitely return.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/photo-gallery/design-approval-sought-for-the-doro-apartment-retail-and-restaurant-community

Well, it does look nice. Shame they are destroying the Doro buildings with all the available land downtown but I guess they are really banking and piggy backing off Lot J.

If they start in May or June, they'll beat the Lot J stuff by at least a decade or so, probably two. Hopefully, they're banking on their own ability.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2020, 06:33:37 AM »
Here is the full DDRB conceptual plan presentation for the Doro project:

Mixed-used project planned for Doro Fixtures block

If Valdosta-based Rise Properties has it their way, the historic Doro Fixtures complex in the Sports and Entertainment District will be razed and replaced by an 8-story mixed-use development.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/mixed-used-project-planned-for-doro-fixtures-block/

vicupstate

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »

The architecture completely sucks. Does not even attempt to fit into or compliment its surroundings.

I take it these building are not designated as Historic, albeit they probably meet the criteria easily?

It is great that they want to invest in the area but it seems there are better sites that don't require the loss of historic buildings.  This is especially true considering how much land the city owns all over DT, including most of the land in the vicinity.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

MusicMan

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
While a Charleston dining thread may not be apt, discussing the re-purpose of their downtown historic building stock IS! Has anyone in the current Jacksonville city leadership position ever visited Charleston? You would think they would understand the value of saving quality older buildings if they had.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2020, 09:37:01 AM »
While a Charleston dining thread may not be apt, discussing the re-purpose of their downtown historic building stock IS! Has anyone in the current Jacksonville city leadership position ever visited Charleston? You would think they would understand the value of saving quality older buildings if they had.

Curry and company would probably look around and think, "Ooh, look at all these old buildings we could demolish and replace with vacant fields."

Lostwave

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2020, 09:38:42 AM »
This is terrible.  This area needs to be activated, not deactivated.  The entire ground floor should be entertainment/retail.  I am sure the rooftop will not be for the public.  I like the size and quantity of units, but taking this entire block out of the picture for entertainment is a big loss.  This is the sports and entertainment district... not the ground floor apartment district. 

Plus, who would want to live on the ground floor in this area.  If you open your blinds you are liable to see a homeless guy wizzing on your window.

If this city lets them move forward with this building in this location, we are done for.  This is exactly the kind of thing that kills vibrancy.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »
Look at the plans. Ground level retail with a courtyard, same thing on the rooftop, and the plans explicitly show an elevator to access the rooftop amenities.

It's kind of a shame to see the Doro facades go, but this project adds residential and retail on Bay St and directly adjacent to the entertainment district.

Some of y'all are a buncha bellyachers who will complain about anything, even unfounded aspects of a project's design.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2020, 10:01:29 AM »
After reviewing the plans, it still sucks but it sucks different. The ground floor usage is terrible, especially have a drive out onto APR. That makes zero sense and even if this was a vacant lot I don't think they'd agree to that. I'm also not sure I get the point of the spaces - resident pickup/dropoff? Surely you can move that somewhere else.

I feel like the ground floor needs to be something other than residential. I don't know if the market can handle 100% retail, but a Leasing area could take some of that, and at least it's a (somewhat) active use. Additionally, you can have the garage entrance, trash pickup, utility, etc. on that back half (which is tough to make vibrant unless Maxwell House shuts down/across from the Arena which because of the loading dock will always be a tough spot to make vibrant. 

Additionally, the covered space at the corner of APR and Adams should be connected with the retail use - this way they can throw some tables out there for dining.

The rooftop retail is legit, as they have a separate elevator to go from the retail to the roof. Basically they want the Black Sheep model there. I don't THINK people would want to lease there on the ground floor but when I look at these I try to not cross the line about business viability; to me that's a dangerous thing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:18:51 AM by Steve »