Author Topic: JU Drops Football  (Read 1846 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JU Drops Football
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
It sounds like (and when I was a student this was the dialog as well), they either needed to invest a ton to compete for real, or drop the program. If it results in a funding boost for the other sports like Basketball and Football then I'm fine with it.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
Smart move! Football is a total drain for a school if you aren’t able to raise capital.

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:15:10 PM »
Can Florida and Florida State be far behind?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »

Absolutely, as soon as Florida finishes spending $85 million on that new training center, football is done for here.

acme54321

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »
LOL.  I can't speak for FSU but there is no lack of funding or support for football at UF. 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 05:40:06 PM »
Reading the title of this thread, for a moment, I thought "JU" was a Jaguars receiver or offensive back.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
LOL.  I can't speak for FSU but there is no lack of funding or support for football at UF.

I go to school here, believe me when I say that I can tell.

Kiva

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »
JU made it clear that it was a financial decision to get rid of the football team. No wonder, when the president of JU is Tim Cost, who has an MBA in finance! Personally I think it is great that they concentrate on academics and other sports instead of football. It would be fantastic if the city would spend money on a variety of sports instead of "investing" in the perennially losing Jags!

copperfiend

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »

This is a joke, right?

copperfiend

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »
It is not a huge surprise. The football program has been flailing for a few years. When Kerwin Bell was coach, he wanted the school to move to a scholarship program with a likely move to a bigger conference. The school's unwillingness to do so was probably the death knell for the program.

I hope this means they are going to put more resources into their basketball program and the facilities used for it.