Author Topic: Curry finally admits what everyone already knows about his desire to sell JEA  (Read 728 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Mayor Curry says he backs JEA effort to explore a possible sale

Mayor Lenny Curry told City Council members at Monday’s JEA fact-finding workshop that he will oppose any effort to stop Jacksonville’s public utility from exploring a possible sale.

In 5 minutes of prepared remarks, Curry weighed in for the first time on JEA’s privatization process in front of Council, putting his support behind the utility's efforts to explore a sale.

Curry said he would not let JEA’s planning process end “because of baseless conspiracy theories, and unprecedented negative onslaught from a small segment of the media, or because the conversation is simply difficult to have.”

“I philosophically believe that less government is better for the people and the limitations of a government-run utility monopoly does not serve the best interests of our community in the long term,” Curry said.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/mayor-curry-says-he-backs-jea-effort-to-explore-a-possible-sale
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson

Mayor Lenny Curry told City Council members at Monday’s JEA fact-finding workshop that he will oppose any effort to stop Jacksonville’s public utility from exploring a possible sale.

In 5 minutes of prepared remarks, Curry weighed in for the first time on JEA’s privatization process in front of Council, putting his support behind the utility's efforts to explore a sale.

Curry said he would not let JEA’s planning process end “because of baseless conspiracy theories, and unprecedented negative onslaught from a small segment of the media, or because the conversation is simply difficult to have.”

“I philosophically believe that less government is better for the people and the limitations of a government-run utility monopoly does not serve the best interests of our community in the long term,” Curry said.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/mayor-curry-says-he-backs-jea-effort-to-explore-a-possible-sale

Wow. So why not admit it from the beginning?

That tells me the original plan isn’t working so he’s moving to plan B.

Charles Hunter

So, the "new, unbiased" negotiating team are appointees of Lenny "Sell, Sell, Sell" Curry?
I am sure their path will not be steered by the desires of their boss.  Is the next step to hire Sarah "Don't call me a liar" Sanders to handle PR?

MusicMan

The people of Jacksonville aren't interested. Beat it, Lenny

Snaketoz

Lenny has set this city back at least 2 decades.  I still can't believe he was elected-TWICE! Amazing.  I hope he disappears at the end of his current term.

Tacachale

• Administrator
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

I was watching online and the live-stream cut off just as C/m Carlucci was asking about other areas where private electric utilities are being bought out by cities.  What was the full question and answer?

vicupstate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5veZY0UMUm4

159 views?  Make that thing go viral !

Put it on your FB, Twitter, etc.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5veZY0UMUm4

I guess, tech-nic-al-ly, what Lyin' Lenny says is true.  HE has not introduced legislation to sell JEA.  He's he Mayor. He can't introduce legislation in City Council.

copperfiend

Lenny doesn't care what citizens want. Put it on the ballot. See what happens.

Captain Zissou

“I philosophically believe that less government is better for the people"

Except he has not shown this in any other situation.  He is interjecting himself and other members of his administration into tons of situations where they do not belong.  The truth is a very fluid concept with him.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

That's actually what he'd likely want. On the ballot after months of a political sales campaign where a yes vote will result in the voter getting a one time check coming out of the expected one time profit from a sale.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

itsfantastic1

That's actually what he'd likely want. On the ballot after months of a political sales campaign where a yes vote will result in the voter getting a one time check coming out of the expected one time profit from a sale.

I agree; he wants this on the ballot because he thinks he can convince people to vote against their own interests by giving them a "refund" or by saying look at all this nice stuff we can do with the money from the sale; Lot J, debt free, and whatever other projects will get groups to back him.

I don't think it's a coincidence he came out of the shadows Monday, the same day former Mayor Godbold came out and asked the council to "End this now!". If the council kills it, it puts an end to the whole thing. That appearance was probably a signal to the Curry diehards on the council that they had better start convincing some of the more independent-minded members to fall in line with the Mayor.

He'll more than likely hide any defeat as "I was just for exploring all options, not necessarily a sale" but he'll sure as hell take credit if it does sell.