Author Topic: I remember back in 1990s when if you were going to the Avenues Mall on I-295  (Read 881 times)

Megabox

I remember back in the 1990s when if you were driving to the Avenues Mall on I-295 and accidentally turned the wrong way on I-95 you had to drive a long way before you could turn around. I was once riding in the car with someone back then when we were headed to the mall and they accidentally turned in the wrong direction on I-95. It was terrible. I am glad things are different now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:31:22 PM by Megabox »

Adam White

• Facebook
I remember back in the 1990s when if you were driving to the Avenues Mall on I-295 and accidentally turned the wrong way on I-95 you had to drive a long way before you could turn around. I was once riding in the car with someone back then when we were headed to the mall and they accidentally turned in the wrong direction on I-95. It was terrible. I am glad things are different now.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

210 in St Johns County?
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^Yes, 210 in St. Johns County was the next exit south of I-295 back in the day. It was similar on I-4 in Central Florida a few decades ago. There were no exits between US 192 near Disney and US 27 near Circus World. The most interesting stories I've heard of Florida travel come from my parents. My dad vividly remembers traveling through the the state and the south during segregation before the interstate was constructed. Black travel across the south back then took some planning to say the least.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:21:26 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
^Yes, 210 in St. Johns County was the next exit south of I-295 back in the day. It was similar on I-4 in Central Florida a few decades ago. There were no exits between US 192 near Disney and US 27 near Circus World. The most interesting stories I've heard of Florida travel come from my parents. My dad vividly remembers traveling through the the state and the south during segregation before the interstate was constructed. Black travel across the south back then took some planning to say the least.

I had totally forgotten about Circus World!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^I spent many days at Circus World and Boardwalk and Baseball. Now its a large strip mall.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
^I spent many days at Circus World and Boardwalk and Baseball. Now its a large strip mall.

And Boardwalk and Baseball! You're really bringing back the memories. Where were they located? We went to both when I was a kid - we also went to Six Gun Territory.

Papa33

How about Marco Polo Park, just south of Palm Coast off of I95?  My dad took me there in late 70s early 80s.  In fact, the road is called Marco Polo Blvd.

Charles Hunter

How about Marco Polo Park, just south of Palm Coast off of I95?  My dad took me there in late 70s early 80s.  In fact, the road is called Marco Polo Blvd.

After the park closed, it went back to what it's former name "Old Dixie Highway". The site is still used for games, just more sedate - it is a golf and country club now.

fieldafm

• Editor

And Boardwalk and Baseball! You're really bringing back the memories. Where were they located? We went to both when I was a kid - we also went to Six Gun Territory.

Haines City, off the exit of I-4 and US 27. 

My grandparents had a farm in Sebring, and spent many summers begging them to take me to Boardwalk and Baseball after all my dirty farm chores were done (spoiler alert: we didn't go often).

Circus World was originally a joint venture with Sarasota-based Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

The site served as the former Spring Training site for the Kansas City Royals. I did go to one game and got to meet George Brett... who scratched his balls and then threw me a baseball from his nut-scratched hand. It was... odd?

Boardwalk and Baseball had a mini 'hall-of-fame' with rotating items on loan from Cooperstown.  After the amusement park closed, they also took those same items to a pop-up hall-of-fame exhibit in St Pete when the city was trying to get an expansion major league baseball team (now the Rays).
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:48:13 AM by fieldafm »

Wacca Pilatka

I have a fascination with lost regional tourist attractions, so I'm jealous of everyone who got to go to some of these closed parks!  Thanks to all for sharing your memories!
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I grew up 20 minutes from Disney. Most of the old theme parks in Central Florida were school field trips and things done for entertainment when someone employed by one would provide free tickets. Cypress Gardens, Six Flags Atlantis, Bok Tower, etc. are others I vividly remember. Also, I haven't kept up with the times. I didn't know Wet & Wild had closed and been redeveloped until driving down I-Drive a few months ago.

Wacca Pilatka

Atlantis is another one I wish I had seen.  Six Flags made some eccentric ventures to expand its brand in the 80s.  Thankful I got to see their attempt at an indoor theme park, the Power Plant, in Baltimore, though I really wish I'd seen the ill-fated Autoworld in Flint.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Adam White

• Facebook
I grew up 20 minutes from Disney. Most of the old theme parks in Central Florida were school field trips and things done for entertainment when someone employed by one would provide free tickets. Cypress Gardens, Six Flags Atlantis, Bok Tower, etc. are others I vividly remember. Also, I haven't kept up with the times. I didn't know Wet & Wild had closed and been redeveloped until driving down I-Drive a few months ago.

Wet & Wild was the one in Orlando, right? My sisters and I always wanted to go - but we ended up going to Wild Waters in Ocala (I think) instead.

Adam White

• Facebook

Haines City, off the exit of I-4 and US 27. 

My grandparents had a farm in Sebring, and spent many summers begging them to take me to Boardwalk and Baseball after all my dirty farm chores were done (spoiler alert: we didn't go often).

Circus World was originally a joint venture with Sarasota-based Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

The site served as the former Spring Training site for the Kansas City Royals. I did go to one game and got to meet George Brett... who scratched his balls and then threw me a baseball from his nut-scratched hand. It was... odd?

Boardwalk and Baseball had a mini 'hall-of-fame' with rotating items on loan from Cooperstown.  After the amusement park closed, they also took those same items to a pop-up hall-of-fame exhibit in St Pete when the city was trying to get an expansion major league baseball team (now the Rays).

Thanks Mike.

Weird nut-scratching aside, it's cool you got to meet George Brett. He was huge when I was a kid.