Author Topic: Parking Privatization: Jacksonville vs. Nashville  (Read 5189 times)

vicupstate

Re: Parking Privatization: Jacksonville vs. Nashville
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2020, 10:01:11 AM »
Good thing consolidation got rid of all the corruption and shady deals.

I promise you, there is not any form of government that cannot be corrupted if the wrong people are in control (elected or appointed) and the public is not diligent in their responsibilities.  The fact that incompetent and corrupt leadership is JAX's real problem is borne out all the more by these fiascoes. 

There does need to be more constraints put on the Mayor's role. For instance, JEA board USE to have appointed by the Governor and the Mayor, not just the Mayor. I don't know how or when it changed but that was a mistake.   

Moving to non-partisan elections would be a BIG help. JAX and FL are under one party control and absolute power has corrupted absolutely. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
Moving to non-partisan elections would be a BIG help. JAX and FL are under one party control and absolute power has corrupted absolutely. 

I’m not sure I agree with this. Yes, the elected republican mayor has made a mess. With that said, even if the (R) wasn’t after his name, you’d know what party he belongs to.

It also wouldn’t change the fact that the local Dems apparently forgot they were allowed to support a candidate in the race.

vicupstate

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
It takes the US vs THEM out of it. Candidates run on their ideas and experience and the voters do the same, at least to a more significant degree. The party's also hold purse strings and information/assistance over the heads of their incumbents too.

There is literally no benefit that I see to partisan elections and no downside to nonpartisan ones that I see. That said, I do know and have lived in cities that have partisan elections, but that aspect is largely ignored. Jax is clearly not of that vein though. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Bativac

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
It takes the US vs THEM out of it. Candidates run on their ideas and experience and the voters do the same, at least to a more significant degree. The party's also hold purse strings and information/assistance over the heads of their incumbents too.

There is literally no benefit that I see to partisan elections and no downside to nonpartisan ones that I see. That said, I do know and have lived in cities that have partisan elections, but that aspect is largely ignored. Jax is clearly not of that vein though.

Have to agree with you there. Partisan elections only help the candidates get themselves elected. If all you're doing is campaigning as a representative of a party, then tribalism takes over and each tribe votes for their person. Nowadays people seem particularly attached to their party to the point where I'm not sure anything else the candidates say really matters, and it's a shame this is happening with local elections since political party affiliation shouldn't be a factor. Especially in a place like Jacksonville.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
"
 since political party affiliation shouldn't be a factor.
"

You're in the wrong country.

vicupstate

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
"
"

It shouldn't and there is no reason for it to. There is no liberal or conservative way to pick up the garbage or do 90% of what local governments do.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »
"
"

Ok. Not sure what the heck that means, but Ok.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »

Here's the thing: Lenny Curry is the first mayor I've seen that I truly thought was a party "hack". meaning someone who thinks, "to hell with the other side of the aisle".

- Delaney was the exact opposite of a party "hack"
 - Peyton I thought did a poor job as mayor, but it wasn't because of partisan politics. He definitely wasn't a unanimous party choice or anything, though him and Hightower did box everyone (READ: Mike Weinstein) out in the 2007 re-election.
 - Alvin Brown is a Democrat but had some very conservative views and appointed numerous Republicans. His downfall mostly was due to his terrible financial stewardship, as well as issue embracing some social issues.

Jacksonville's elections aren't non-partisan but they're Unitary, so it's not like there's a Republican Primary and Democratic primary so each party's zealous can find the furthest right and furthest left person on earth and pit them against each other like in Tallahassee or Washington.

I guess my point is, Lenny Curry's is a clown and a Republican hack that likely should have kept his role behind the scenes versus being the actual candidate. But, I struggle to find that the system was truly the issue. Sometimes people just suck.

vicupstate

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
I think Peyton started the trend toward making the city government more partisan and it has only gathered strength since, with Curry putting it into high gear. Brown took stands he shouldn't have and I think wouldn't have (or at least not as vocally) in an effort to appease the GOP elements in the city. That never works for a Dem and he would have been better served to avoid partisan stands as much as possible.

I also think the partisan aspect has been a factor in more than a few city council races over the years, again getting stronger over time.

JerryHen

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
City politics only mirror what's going on nation-wide, no?

I-10east

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2020, 07:19:08 AM »
Sorry for going offbase, but alot of Illinoisans are fleeing to Nashville. Of course Illinois has a 'preferable' political atmosphere, with 'reasonable' taxation and safety, with their 'fair' gun laws in Chitown...Nashville might have to change it's name to Nashicago.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2020, 07:58:22 AM »
Sorry for going offbase, but alot of Illinoisans are fleeing to Nashville. Of course Illinois has a 'preferable' political atmosphere, with 'reasonable' taxation and safety, with their 'fair' gun laws in Chitown...Nashville might have to change it's name to Nashicago.

The population of Illinois is approximately 12.5 million people. The population of Chicago is roughly 2.5 million people. There's a lot more to Illinois than just Chicago. I'd not be surprised if some of the purported migration constitutes hicks from Southern Illinois. Nashville is a redneck mecca.

All joking aside, you've done a typical I-10: you took one statistic and then came up with a rationale for "why" which conveniently fits your political views. Doesn't matter if it's true or not - you KNOW it must be true.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:03:21 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

I-10east

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
^^^Why did you conveniently leave out the metropolitan area of Chicago? ChiTown metro is around 9.4 million. I never said that all of Illinois is Chicago, but don't kid yourself; Chicagoland is a HUMONGOUS part of Illinois's population. Like you said 12.5 minus 9.4 leaves only around 3.1 million not in Chicagoland.

I'm not even saying that people are fleeing to muh 'conservative cities' but just 'more sane' cities, just my opinion. Cali to Arizona, or Cali to Texas has similar migrations. Chicago local news and other news has spilled the beans, the secret has been out for a loong time... Don't shoot the messenger.

https://wgntv.com/2018/05/21/illinois-residents-fleeing-state-for-financial-reasons/

https://tennesseestar.com/2018/09/06/dear-tennessee-get-ready-for-historic-mass-migration-from-illinois/

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
^^^Why did you conveniently leave out the metropolitan area of Chicago? ChiTown metro is around 9.4 million. I never said that all of Illinois is Chicago, but don't kid yourself; Chicagoland is a HUMONGOUS part of Illinois's population. Like you said 12.5 minus 9.4 leaves only around 3.1 million not in Chicagoland.

I'm not even saying that people are fleeing to muh 'conservative cities' but just 'more sane' cities, just my opinion. Cali to Arizona, or Cali to Texas has similar migrations. Chicago local news and other news has spilled the beans, the secret has been out for a loong time... Don't shoot the messenger.

https://wgntv.com/2018/05/21/illinois-residents-fleeing-state-for-financial-reasons/

https://tennesseestar.com/2018/09/06/dear-tennessee-get-ready-for-historic-mass-migration-from-illinois/

I can't access the first article in my region. The second one posits that it is tax rates that is driving migration. Kind of undercuts your, "muh political atmosphere, muh safety, muh gun laws" argument.

There's also the weather, but until you can find some way to blame that on the Libtards, you'll probably ignore it.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

I-10east

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2020, 09:18:35 AM »
^^^I'm not gonna get political, because I probably will get censored. I think that I made my point pretty clear.