Author Topic: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down  (Read 4612 times)

Snaketoz

Re: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 08:02:19 AM »
Yes, Hemming Park.  I guess Curry and company will put it there so only the council, the mayor and staff will see it.  That way they will say it isn't of interest to the public and privatize it.  Next year instead of ornaments the new tree will sell advertising space for small billboards, be on private property and will charge admission.  Instead of an angel on top, there will be a sign advertising why we should sell Jacksonville's port.

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »
Yes, Hemming Park.  I guess Curry and company will put it there so only the council, the mayor and staff will see it.  That way they will say it isn't of interest to the public and privatize it.  Next year instead of ornaments the new tree will sell advertising space for small billboards, be on private property and will charge admission.  Instead of an angel on top, there will be a sign advertising why we should sell Jacksonville's port.

I don't know about all that but my question back to her was, "If not Hemming Plaza then where would be better?"

She didn't have an answer for that.  To use the parlance of our time, we don't need a communal front yard, we need a communal living room and preferably one that doesn't have someone sleeping on the couch.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Friendship Park? Then, it would still be visible from the Riverwalks and the reflect off the river - like it did when at the Landing.  Hold off on the FP renovation for a few weeks.

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »
I'll agree that Friendship Park is as close as Jax has to a signature urban park and would be far better than Hemming Plaza.  At this point though I don't even know if having a Christmas tree on display is even worth the cost if this is the best we can do.  To bad we don't have a Civic Organization that can do something like this:

https://downtownindecember.com/lights-on-broadway/

The Christmas lights on Laura Street were pretty good last year and I would just as soon they do that on all downtown streets.
Third Place

sandyshoes

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »
I've always liked the little Christmas decorations they would hang on the light poles in the shopping centers - Orange Park has them along Park Avenue's streetlight poles (for people new to the area, Hwy 17 becomes Park Avenue when you cross into Clay County).  Used to see some Christmas banners downtown hung from the streetlight poles - haven't been downtown in a while so they might be there now for all I know.  [sigh] Truly mourning the demise of The Landing.  And of a society where you could go someplace, even your own front yard, without getting shot at.  Maybe the gangs are tryna make quota so they can have Christmas off...

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »
I've always liked the little Christmas decorations they would hang on the light poles in the shopping centers - Orange Park has them along Park Avenue's streetlight poles (for people new to the area, Hwy 17 becomes Park Avenue when you cross into Clay County).  Used to see some Christmas banners downtown hung from the streetlight poles - haven't been downtown in a while so they might be there now for all I know.  [sigh] Truly mourning the demise of The Landing.  And of a society where you could go someplace, even your own front yard, without getting shot at.  Maybe the gangs are tryna make quota so they can have Christmas off...

Along Laura Street that is exactly what they did last year.  All the trees and had lights and the decorations were hanging from light poles.  It looked pretty cool, but they only did it on one street for about 4 blocks.  It needs to be all of downtown from Water to State and Jefferson to Liberty.  Give people a reason to go downtown because for hells bells, people will wait 3 hours to drive through the lights off Girvin Road.  It wouldn't kill the business owners in Springfield and 5-Points to up their game as well.
Third Place

vicupstate

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
Does anyone know if the on-ramp to the Main Street Bridge from Independent Drive (which serves as a flyover at the corner of the Landing property) is definitely going to be demolished as well?

The image of Lenny's Lawn shows that, but I was not aware of hearing it was going to happen officially.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
No it's not. Lenny's Lawn is just a drawing on paper. There's no funding for it either. That site will be sodded just like the former City Hall Annex site. It will be dead and inactive at least through 2020.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
Looking at the FDOT Work Program
Project 435845-1  SR5(US1/MAIN ST) at Independent Drive On Ramp - Bridge Demolition
Fiscal Year 2019/2020 (which is the current fiscal year)  Preliminary Engineering (on-going) $192,051
There is no "Construction" funding through 2024
However, if you look at the link for "View Scheduled Activities" it shows Fiscal Year 2021/2022. I think this means it could be ready for construction, if funding is allocated.
https://fdotewp1.dot.state.fl.us/fmsupportapps/workprogram/Support/WPItemRept.ASPX?RF=WP&D=02&CD=72&ITM=435845~1&RP=ITEM

This means design work is underway, but no money has [yet] been allocated for construction (or demolition, in this case).

Peter Griffin

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
Looking at the FDOT Work Program
Project 435845-1  SR5(US1/MAIN ST) at Independent Drive On Ramp - Bridge Demolition
Fiscal Year 2019/2020 (which is the current fiscal year)  Preliminary Engineering (on-going) $192,051
There is no "Construction" funding through 2024
However, if you look at the link for "View Scheduled Activities" it shows Fiscal Year 2021/2022. I think this means it could be ready for construction, if funding is allocated.
https://fdotewp1.dot.state.fl.us/fmsupportapps/workprogram/Support/WPItemRept.ASPX?RF=WP&D=02&CD=72&ITM=435845~1&RP=ITEM

This means design work is underway, but no money has [yet] been allocated for construction (or demolition, in this case).

Keep in mind "Preliminary Engineering" could just be PD&E, which is more-or-less a study of the feasibility and obstacles for a given project, and may include conceptual designs, but likely does not mean they will develop a full set of plans for construction. Final Engineering will likely need to take place before it goes to construction.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
Nope, PD&E is a separate phase, that precedes PE, and according to the info at the link, has no funding. Probably just do PD&E stuff within the PE (Design) work, since it wouldn't be that much to study.

sandyshoes

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
Updated pix of the demolition, as of yesterday:  https://www.jacksonville.com/photogallery/LK/20191212/PHOTOGALLERY/121209990/PH/1
Where is this debris being moved to...is anyone scrapping the metal and putting the money to good use - it belonged to the City, so I would think that $$$ could help a lot of programs.  I hope the palm trees won't be scuttled as well.  No reason they should be, but then again there was no reason to do any of this.  Very, very sad. 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
Doesn't the salvageable material typically belong to the demolition company?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
Doesn't the salvageable material typically belong to the demolition company?

Yes.

I hope the palm trees won't be scuttled as well. 

Barring unforeseen issues, the demo contract stipulated that all trees and light posts remain (functional) on site.

but then again there was no reason to do any of this.  Very, very sad. 

Also, yes!

JaGoaT

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 09:54:24 PM »
Just saw the pic of everything basically cleared out and it just shifted my opinion. I see the vision for a beautiful park being built there. The downside of the vision is the city’s track record with keeping up with parks.