Author Topic: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down  (Read 11132 times)

Papa33

Re: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »
Could you imagine Curry running for office promising to do what he has actually done (or at least wants to do)?

Tear down the Landing (replaced by nothing)
Tear down the Courthouse Annex (replaced by nothing)
Sell JEA
Not fix Memorial Park or the Northbank Riverwalk
I would also add the harebrained idea of a  convention center and hotel that was so out of proportion and scale of what Jacksonville’s budget could support and what it would ever need.  I have no problem with the  new convention center, but not the one  of the size and scale being proposed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2019, 03:16:27 PM »
My guess is that one would focus on the positive rather than the negative in selling themselves. So....Lot J (assuming the first phase is completed), Brooklyn (even though things got started prior to his first term), VyStar coming downtown, Vestcor's work in LaVilla and Fidelity's plans to expand their headquarters in Brooklyn.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »
I can't imagine him successfully running for another office if things don't get turned around quick, although that's not saying much. I never imagined Trump would become president either.

Sometimes I think Herb and John Peyton put Curry where he is, so John wouldn't look as bad by comparison.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Kerry

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
My guess is that one would focus on the positive rather than the negative in selling themselves. So....Lot J (assuming the first phase is completed), Brooklyn (even though things got started prior to his first term), VyStar coming downtown, Vestcor's work in LaVilla and Fidelity's plans to expand their headquarters in Brooklyn.

He won't be selling downtown progress, at least not to the 99% of Jax that doesn't care about that.  All people know about downtown is the Landing is gone.  My wife has lived in Jacksonville most of her life and she didn't even know there was a part of town called Brooklyn until she met me.  And what is the big progress in Brooklyn to even be proud of, a gas station an apartment building and a small shopping center?  Have you seen the Town Center area lately?
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
He can claim Town Center too. It isn't located in a separate city. Anyway seems like Lot J and selling JEA are his legacy moves. Neither is guaranteed to actually happen.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »
If Curry tries to claim the Town Center he would get laugh off the stage.  The Town Center opened 14 years ago.  I guess he could claim spending $18 million to Amazon, but not sure if he wants to own up to corporate welfare.
Third Place

tufsu1

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »
^ Lakelander means the Town Center is in Jacksonville - so Mayor Curry can take some credit for anything that has happened there since 2015

Kerry

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
^ Lakelander means the Town Center is in Jacksonville - so Mayor Curry can take some credit for anything that has happened there since 2015

Yea, I know what he meant, but the Town Center isn't the result of any City involvement other than plan reviews, permits, and streets (which is probably why it is so successful).  It's not Like Curry was out there cutting a ribbon at the new Hobby Lobby.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »

Yea, I know what he meant, but the Town Center isn't the result of any City involvement other than plan reviews, permits, and streets (which is probably why it is so successful).  It's not Like Curry was out there cutting a ribbon at the new Hobby Lobby.

Why should that stop a lying politician from claiming credit for something he had no part in?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2019, 07:20:04 AM »

Brooklyn's and downtown's redevelopment started prior to Curry's first term. Claiming influence on market rate projects there would be no different from making a claim on similar development all across town. Oh and yes, politicians in general do make such claims.

avonjax

« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »
So to say it was dead long before it came down is an inaccurate assumption.

I'm stating a personal anecdote, not a factual account. Dead to me, dead as in "dead mall"

Factually, though, it WAS in severe decline. Sleiman gave up anticipating the city giving up, and they both came together to sell it off and tear it down. In the end the people who had the most vested in keeping it thriving gave up on it. Tenants can't fix that, the tenants didn't draw the activity that warranted such a space, the emptiness of the whole structure was uninviting and eerie outside of special events; there were lots of times I rode right past and wondered if the place had closed.

I think it coming down is a shame. I think the state it was in and the fact that it was WORSE 20 years after I first visited was an even bigger shame.

My overall take on the whole matter as it stands is that what is, is, and it's coming down, nearly gone. Lamenting what could have been if only we had kept the structure, or let Brown's proposal go through, or if we had sold the land to Sleiman, is completely unproductive. In its final years it was in a sad state and only declining. Living in the past or in the land of coulda woulda shoulda doesn't do me any favors.

tl;dr - Rest In Peace, Jacksonville Landing.

Even though you are young you will probably never see anything worth visiting in your lifetime. Believe me, I've been waiting for many, many years for downtown to reach it's potential. I don't think it ever will. Reusing the Landing could have had a similar draw as the Riverside Art Market if done properly, but now we will never know. We do get to have hundreds of studies with the same results. NOTHING! Like I posted a while back I have given up on DT as a place for people not living there to go. Let me add I worked at several places DT when I was young in the sixties and seventies and I have watched it be demolished ever since. The worse part is most people really don't care. When downtown has something to offer there is nothing else like it.

Snaketoz

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »
I too grew up in a time when downtown Jacksonville was THE place-for everything.  Before we had any malls we had great stores.  I loved Rosenblum's, Wolf Bros, Furchgotts', May-Cohens, Iveys', etc.  There was the Empress, Imperial, Center, Florida, theaters.  Many nightspots in the many hotels, and with an assortment of restaurants and Morrison's cafeteria.  "Shorter line in the Carriage Room".  I always felt like I was somebody back then.  I could go downtown on my own and everything was convenient. The people working in the stores were career people who knew their business.  Before I could drive I could take a bus with no worries.  The Landing could have been repurposed and used to rekindle the old days.  Now we have a few tall buildings, a lot of parking lots, and no soul.  The younger generations will never experience what we did, and it's a shame.  Downtown is being torn down and it hurts me.  My parents would be shocked to see what it has become. Shameful.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2019, 07:36:22 PM »
Even though you are young you will probably never see anything worth visiting in your lifetime. Believe me, I've been waiting for many, many years for downtown to reach it's potential. I don't think it ever will. Reusing the Landing could have had a similar draw as the Riverside Art Market if done properly, but now we will never know. We do get to have hundreds of studies with the same results. NOTHING! Like I posted a while back I have given up on DT as a place for people not living there to go. Let me add I worked at several places DT when I was young in the sixties and seventies and I have watched it be demolished ever since. The worse part is most people really don't care. When downtown has something to offer there is nothing else like it.

Avon, I have to agree with you here with one exception.  I think people do care but we keep electing "leaders" who don't have the vision, genuine (vs. political expediency) passion or leadership skills to deliver a worthwhile downtown.  When I travel, I find almost every town and city of any size has more going for its "downtown" than Jacksonville.

We would make a great case study in how to perpetually not invigorate an urban core.  It's not complicated and doesn't necessarily take big scoops of public dollars, but it does take some thoughtful, creative and collaborative thinking (not to be confused with worthless and never ending consultancy studies) and the ability to execute.  Even a simple copy and paste would be better than what we have seen.  Decade after decade, we don't get that, hence, we just fall further behind. 

The worst:  Of all Florida cities, Jacksonville started with the best vintage architecture, richest history and the beautiful St. Johns River as a centerpiece, and we have not only not taken advantage, but essentially destroyed and/or detracted from these very assets and continue to do so, all the while wasting public dollars and losing valuable credibility while giving the public a bad taste for downtown efforts making forward movement even more difficult.

It doesn't help that much of the media acts like everything is great.  I love what the Times Union has done in reporting over the last year or two with the exception that, to promote their "J" magazine, they have totally pushed the idea that Downtown is better than ever.  Its a false narrative that I worry is giving politicos a free pass for their dismal track record.

Overall, very frustrating.

Kerry

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
My son came home from college this week and a few days ago a young lady from his school came to visit and brought her parents.  They are from Toronto and wanted to see downtown Jax so he took them.  Needless to say, they were far less than impressed with downtown Jax.  Their entire trip downtown lasted less than 15 minutes.  I think the quote went something like, "Why do you even bother having a downtown?".  Of course, not many places in the US can rival downtown Toronto but Jax would lose a fight with downtown Saskatoon.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2020, 09:12:03 PM »
Jax will lose a fight to most mid sized US cities as well. I feel sorry for the Gator Bowl fans wondering around like zombies today. Heard of people at the Hyatt walking up to 7-11 at State and Union for a bite to eat because of the lack of options. I bet they would have appreciated a Fionns or Hooters maintaining consistent hours. With that said, the "why bother" issue deals with the clown show wasting public money to make the place worse. DT would be fine if the 4th floor of city hall left it alone for a few years.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:14:11 PM by thelakelander »