Author Topic: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down  (Read 11134 times)

Ken_FSU

Re: Last chance to see: the Landing is quietly coming down
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
^Thanks for the market study! What's our bill this time around?!

$100,000 for the market study, plus another $150,000 to Wakefield Beasley for mocking up some conceptual ideas.

I actually really like the direction they're heading in with the design.

I think it's got a lot of potential for the space:

itsfantastic1

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »
Ken, I think you are onto something!
Anybody know how to get the mayor's attention for this?

Offer to lead a sale of JEA?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2020, 04:31:09 PM »
^I actually think there’s a way to do both.

What if we did a small fountain/splash pad near the middle of the property, and then built the restaurants, bars, and shopping around it?

We’d have to get a little creative with the architecture, but I’m thinking something a bit like a horseshoe might work.

Would probably even leave enough space in front of the river to add a stage for live music.

I know our downtown’s still a bit behind in terms of population and parking, but even with what we have today, there’s still likely a market for, I don’t know, maybe 30 restaurants, local retailers, banks, and artists to stay afloat on that property.

VyStar is building a new garage, Hyatt Place is adding a hotel across the street, new residents are moving into the downtown core, feels like the type of opportunity that many cities can only dream of.

Hope we can make the horseshoe idea work. We just need to find a proven local developer with a passion for the city and a strong track record of success, lock him or her in long-term, and set them up for the same kind of success we’re setting the Jags up for by properly maintaining the public infrastructure at the site and being a good partner on parking and security.

With all of the other downtown development investments that we’re making, particularly $270 million at the sports complex between Lot J and the Hart Bridge ramps, I know it’ll take a sizable public commitment to bring such a dream to fruition (Alvin Brown estimates as much as $12 million!), but strategically, I can’t think of a more important investment to help bring true vibrancy back to the urban core.

This is brilliant. Front page of the Jaxson worthy, even.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

I-10east

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2020, 12:09:04 PM »
The Landing looks like it's gonna be fully razed today. There is only a very small area of the facade and columns left on Independent Drive.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
^I actually think there’s a way to do both.

What if we did a small fountain/splash pad near the middle of the property, and then built the restaurants, bars, and shopping around it?

We’d have to get a little creative with the architecture, but I’m thinking something a bit like a horseshoe might work.

Would probably even leave enough space in front of the river to add a stage for live music.

I know our downtown’s still a bit behind in terms of population and parking, but even with what we have today, there’s still likely a market for, I don’t know, maybe 30 restaurants, local retailers, banks, and artists to stay afloat on that property.

VyStar is building a new garage, Hyatt Place is adding a hotel across the street, new residents are moving into the downtown core, feels like the type of opportunity that many cities can only dream of.

Hope we can make the horseshoe idea work. We just need to find a proven local developer with a passion for the city and a strong track record of success, lock him or her in long-term, and set them up for the same kind of success we’re setting the Jags up for by properly maintaining the public infrastructure at the site and being a good partner on parking and security.

With all of the other downtown development investments that we’re making, particularly $270 million at the sports complex between Lot J and the Hart Bridge ramps, I know it’ll take a sizable public commitment to bring such a dream to fruition (Alvin Brown estimates as much as $12 million!), but strategically, I can’t think of a more important investment to help bring true vibrancy back to the urban core.

This is brilliant. Front page of the Jaxson worthy, even.

It's just astounding to read all of these articles in the local media and hear all the man-on-the-street reports asking citizens what they'd like to see in the spot of the former Jacksonville Landing.

To a person, nearly every single respondent pretty much just describes what was already there (restaurants, retail, public space).

Mind-blowing to walk down Laura Street every day and see that insane, needless wreckage when all the Landing needed was some TLC and a plan.

JaGoaT

« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »
Drove through downtown tonight past the Landing site and loved the view of the Main Street Bridge. I think I’ve been converted into liking the removal of the landing. I’m shocked at myself

acme54321

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2020, 06:44:14 AM »
Yeah, not gonna lie, if the city could build out AND MAINTAIN a top quality greenspace there I don't think I'd have much issue with it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2020, 07:14:46 AM »
I drove through last night after spending a weeknight in DT Orlando and had the complete opposite reaction. A place with activity, life, people and energy vs an empty post apocalyptic scene. I don't think Jax really knows what it wants with downtown or how to get there in a timely and cost effective manner. As a result, we're 50 years in on talking visions and dreams but coming short in getting them off paper.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Todd_Parker

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »
I drove through last night after spending a weeknight in DT Orlando and had the complete opposite reaction. A place with activity, life, people and energy vs an empty post apocalyptic scene. I don't think Jax really knows what it wants with downtown or how to get there in a timely and cost effective manner. As a result, we're 50 years in on talking visions and dreams but coming short in getting them off paper.

And to think that we are currently in "the greatest economy in the history of all economies". What will happen to DT Jax when the next recession inevitably comes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
^That is the worst part. Some type of way, we've largely squandered opportunities during an epic point in history for economic prosperity. I'm really hoping most of these Northbank proposals get underway this year. Despite the pretty renderings, continued media puff pieces and Curry's promises of changing the skyline (unfortunately he is doing this by demolishing things, but that's not a positive), I'm really not confident that any of the mega development proposals will materialize as depicted.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2020, 11:32:06 AM »
It is a good view without those pesky people and businesses being in the way. On a related note, I bet we’d have a dope ass view of the Dames Point Bridge from the Timucuan Preserve if we could do something about all those damn trees.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2020, 11:43:52 AM »
^That is the worst part. Some type of way, we've largely squandered opportunities during an epic point in history for economic prosperity. I'm really hoping most of these Northbank proposals get underway this year. Despite the pretty renderings, continued media puff pieces and Curry's promises of changing the skyline (unfortunately he is doing this by demolishing things, but that's not a positive), I'm really not confident that any of the mega development proposals will materialize as depicted.

It's critical to get going before the summer IMO on most of these plans. I think there will potentially be a wait and see approach depending on the Democrat nominee later this year. There is a lot of angst among developers, investors and Wall Street types if the Democratic nominee is not Biden, Bloomberg, or even Mayor Pete.

I-10east

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2020, 05:36:16 PM »
Drove through downtown tonight past the Landing site and loved the view of the Main Street Bridge. I think I’ve been converted into liking the removal of the landing. I’m shocked at myself

The Northbank view of the MSB might be there, but the Southbank view of the main skyline leaves alot to be desired with the Landing gone. 25 percent of me agree with you, only because I question the viability of even a renovated Landing (while most people think that sunshine and roses would have been in the bag with a renovated Landing).

Jax MIGHT have did the correct thing by demoing the Landing, and people just don't know it. Even a 25 million dollar renovation wasn't enough to provide rejuvenation to Phoenix's Arizona Center.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/03/14/arizona-center-begins-25m-renovation-adding-hotel.html

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2020, 06:05:42 PM »
I'd argue that the Landing at its worst with COJ as a slumlord is better than the current state. Even then, you had 30 businesses employing hundreds and consistent programming stimulating foot traffic. Now that section of downtown is a ghost town and will be for quite a while. If a recession takes place within the next two or three years, it could be a dead spot for another decade. That's a likely worst case scenario for Jax, considering we've already wasted 15 years to get to this point.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:09:58 PM by thelakelander »

I-10east

« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
^^^I feel ya. Hypothetically I would've kept the Landing like it was (mainly mom and pop local stores and restaurants); I chose that over razing it or putting a bunch of money into it.