Author Topic: A Walk Through Orlando's Lake Eola Park  (Read 1617 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
A Walk Through Orlando's Lake Eola Park
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:54:22 AM »

Every great city is home to a great park. For the City of Orlando, that great space is known as Lake Eola Park. Today, Modern Cities takes a virtual walk through one of Central Florida's most vibrant urban public spaces.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-walk-through-orlandos-lake-eola-park/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

Re: A Walk Through Orlando's Lake Eola Park
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
Beautiful park!

Does the city operate and fund it, or a public/private conservation?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
From my understanding, the city of Orlando operates and maintains it. According to this article, as of 2014, it attracted 2.5 million annual visitors.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-crowded-lake-eola-20141004-story.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
Do they have to rebuild that fountain every three years, like Friendship Fountain?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »
I don't know why things cost so much in Jax for many projects to be completed in a substandard fashion. Part of me believes much of the spending, contracts and finished results are ingrained in the local political culture.  Lightning struck the Lake Eola fountain back in August 2009. In October 2009, the mayor announced a $2.3 million city project to repair and upgrade it. That project was completed in 2011.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:19:22 PM by thelakelander »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 01:26:26 PM »
With that said, these are the types of spaces people expect within vibrant urban core settings and what DT Jax is currently being judged against by the average person (right or wrong). Excuse making for why such a place isn't already in DT Jax or can't be replicated should immediately be put to bed. At this point, its common sense applications that need implementation and they don't require $233 million and bringing expressway ramps down type up front public investments to come to fruition.

avonjax

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 07:56:55 PM »
I love this park. I often go there when I visit Orlando.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
It feels like the potential for this is more or less in place with Kuthlo and Confed.  Ideally we'd be able to connected those two ( again ? ).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
Yes, the potential has always been there. 80 years ago, they were this.

I-10east

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
The fountain itself reminds me of this in Chicago (Grant Park I believe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8t5cOjlEPU