Author Topic: Just say no to density  (Read 9777 times)

acme54321

Re: Just say no to density
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2020, 07:19:10 AM »
It seems like they've shifted their focus away from the density to the architectural appropriateness.  Not going to fault them to trying to force the developer into a nicer product.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
Not going to fault them to trying to force the developer into a nicer product.

Agreed. Sounds like the developers are really trying in that department. Hopefully, the SMPS eventually gets on board.

At this point I am not sure what will make me happier...more density finally coming to San Marco or getting rid of the hideous yard signs. Plus, my wife has had about had it with me “mistakenly” referring to the catch phrase as Get it White.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:53:08 AM by sanmarcomatt »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »
Guess I should have waited 5 minutes as SMPS just submitted an update. There will be another town hall to discuss the changes but the biggest is the reduction of 10 units(boo) and the parking deck being reduced a level. (Now that is a big change)

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2020, 09:38:46 AM »
Guess I should have waited 5 minutes as SMPS just submitted an update. There will be another town hall to discuss the changes but the biggest is the reduction of 10 units(boo) and the parking deck being reduced a level. (Now that is a big change)

This doesn't seem like it adds up (though not doubting you or SMPS). A reduction of 10 units allows them to not build an entire level of the garage? If they allocated 2 spots per unit then that's 20 cars. Was the garage only 20 spots per level?

I do agree about the architecture - no issues with pushing them in that direction. I didn't think the original renderings were terrible, but nothing special.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »

This doesn't seem like it adds up (though not doubting you or SMPS). A reduction of 10 units allows them to not build an entire level of the garage? If they allocated 2 spots per unit then that's 20 cars. Was the garage only 20 spots per level?

I do agree about the architecture - no issues with pushing them in that direction. I didn't think the original renderings were terrible, but nothing special.

I haven’t seen much detail but my best guess is that we are going to lose some of the public parking that was going to be available when the Church wasn’t using it.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
Not going to fault them to trying to force the developer into a nicer product.

Agreed. Sounds like the developers are really trying in that department. Hopefully, the SMPS eventually gets on board.

At this point I am not sure what will make me happier...more density finally coming to San Marco or getting rid of the hideous yard signs. Plus, my wife has had about had it with me “mistakenly” referring to the catch phrase as Get it White.

Haha, perfect.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »
In my opinion, every change that was made to the development has made it worse.  Hopefully the decreased garage size will not remove the public parking, as that is the main positive that the development has going for it.  Removing the units on Mitchell and increasing the setbacks also don't really do anything for the urban character of the neighborhood.  This is turning into a suburban complex dropped into a historic core neighborhood. 

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »
In my opinion, every change that was made to the development has made it worse.  Hopefully the decreased garage size will not remove the public parking, as that is the main positive that the development has going for it.  Removing the units on Mitchell and increasing the setbacks also don't really do anything for the urban character of the neighborhood.  This is turning into a suburban complex dropped into a historic core neighborhood. 

Any concerns about less public parking were happily unfounded.

The units on Mitchell were a big issue for the “people who built McMansions bordering commercial property because they couldn’t afford to build similar McMansions in San Marco that wasn’t bordering commercial property “. And that’s fine.

I am optimistic that this is still going to be a great project and will be approved.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »
Does anyone know of a handy summary of all the zones used in JAX?   Duval GIS makes it easy to see them.  But I wouldn't know whatr CRO means vs PUD vs CCG1, etc al.  g

Des

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2020, 07:34:08 AM »
COJ used to have a helpful summary of all the zones in PDF form, but I guess that was too convenient so they got rid of them.

https://www.coj.net/departments/planning-and-development/development-services-division/zoning-district-summaries

Chapter 3 of the Zoning Code
https://www.coj.net/departments/planning-and-development/development-services-division/zoning-section

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
COJ got rid of everything. The website is literally worthless now. I believe it had something to do with ADA compliance.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
COJ got rid of everything. The website is literally worthless now. I believe it had something to do with ADA compliance.

That is just an excuse for not spending money. Any website can be made ADA compliant. And, it fits in with the non-transparency of the current administration.

realestatejax

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
Does anyone know of a handy summary of all the zones used in JAX?   Duval GIS makes it easy to see them.  But I wouldn't know whatr CRO means vs PUD vs CCG1, etc al.  g

Go to municode: https://library.municode.com/fl/jacksonville/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=ZOSE_CH656ZOCO

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2020, 02:41:57 PM »

That is just an excuse for not spending money. Any website can be made ADA compliant. And, it fits in with the non-transparency of the current administration.

In fairness, does anyone know whether that is actively in work? ADA Compliance on the web allows for ALMOST all content to be displayed, but it takes a fair amount of work to do (it could be a couple years of rework).

To be clear-this needs to get done and if it isn’t in work then shame on them. But it isn’t necessarily simple.

acme54321

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
Our organization has had similar moves by departments and they seem to get away with it.  They get caught out of compliance on something and it's easier for them to just eliminate it than go through the effort to correct it.  Admittedly they probably don't have the bandwidth to come into compliance and maintain some of the discrepancies.