Author Topic: Just say no to density  (Read 9763 times)

acme54321

Re: Just say no to density
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
I haven't heard anything about the chapel coming down or the development being in two phases. Is this something mentioned by the developer and church or rumor? Also, how does the height compare to the previously approved height of the East San Marco? Shorter, higher or the same?

The developer apparently has a clause for a 7 year right of first refusal on the remainder of the church property.  That's where the rumor of a second phase is coming from. 

jaxjags

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
No new development will be perfect or satisfy everybody. That's a fact. That's why our government leaders make decisions on what is good for the WHOLE community and not just one or two residents. If we continue to deny these kinds of developments we will stop getting the proposals. Too hard to do business in Jax, will be the line. More abandoned buildings will come. As SMM said this is not a 500 unit 20 story building going in.

Also as to the height, I'm not sure it will be much differ than the neighboring Publix.

As I don't live in the area I don't want to be accused of supporting something I don't believe in. I live in an old subdivision in rural North Country. We have close to 300 homes in 2 subdivisions going in a .25 mile from our home. I encourage this development. It is the only way we will continue to get more service, both public and private in this area. Also I am positive my home value will increased compared to these builder grade homes at over $100/sf on micro lots.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2019, 12:11:19 PM »
My only qualm is with the design.  I'd prefer red brick like what is there now or Mediterranean to match East San Marco next door.  This may be "bungalow inspired" but it looks too beach style for me.  I'd love to see more renderings and be proven wrong, however.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »
No new development will be perfect or satisfy everybody. That's a fact. That's why our government leaders make decisions on what is good for the WHOLE community and not just one or two residents.

This goes both ways. If a majority of residents come around and decide that they believe this isn't good for their community, are you willing to accept that?

MusicMan

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Well, I did actually drive over today to take a good look at the site. The bungalows on Mango are 50/50 commercial residential. The homes which back up to it on Alexandria are big expensive homes. AS I STATED I DON'T HAVE A DOG IN THE FIGHT. But the resistance seems to be spearheaded by the folks living in the homes on Alexandria. If you drive around the several blocks that surround the site there are more "Right Size San Marco" signs than I would have expected. I'm not sure what point Adam was trying to make, I don't think he lives in San Marco or went to the meeting. BUT I DO drive down that street every morning for several years taking my kids to school at Julia Landon and it backs up pretty far down the street, so much so that I go back through Holly Lane and bypass the Square and Hendricks Ave entirely to get to school.  Change coming to such an established and well to do neighborhood is usually met with resistance correct? 

For the record there has been almost ZERO push back for SoBa, plus the two huge new developments on Philips Hwy, Correct?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
AS I STATED I DON'T HAVE A DOG IN THE FIGHT.

You know what's a great way to say that you're a neutral party? Typing IN ALL CAPS THAT YOU'RE NOT TAKING SIDES!!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
Well, I did actually drive over today to take a good look at the site. The bungalows on Mango are 50/50 commercial residential. The homes which back up to it on Alexandria are big expensive homes. AS I STATED I DON'T HAVE A DOG IN THE FIGHT. But the resistance seems to be spearheaded by the folks living in the homes on Alexandria. If you drive around the several blocks that surround the site there are more "Right Size San Marco" signs than I would have expected. I'm not sure what point Adam was trying to make, I don't think he lives in San Marco or went to the meeting. BUT I DO drive down that street every morning for several years taking my kids to school at Julia Landon and it backs up pretty far down the street, so much so that I go back through Holly Lane and bypass the Square and Hendricks Ave entirely to get to school.  Change coming to such an established and well to do neighborhood is usually met with resistance correct? 

For the record there has been almost ZERO push back for SoBa, plus the two huge new developments on Philips Hwy, Correct?

I'm reticent to try and explain my point, as your comments about whether or not I live in San Marco,whether or not I attended your friend's meeting and the fact that you've driven down the street indicate to me that you clearly just aren't going to get it. We're clearly talking at cross purposes here. Or so it would seem.

Maybe I don't get your point.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:07:34 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

acme54321

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2019, 03:24:46 PM »
This going in front of the city council tonight I believe.  I contacted our representative like Matt did and suggest you do too.

I would like to see higher end architecture in that spot ascetically but am for the overall concept.

jaxjags

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2019, 03:41:11 PM »
No new development will be perfect or satisfy everybody. That's a fact. That's why our government leaders make decisions on what is good for the WHOLE community and not just one or two residents.

This goes both ways. If a majority of residents come around and decide that they believe this isn't good for their community, are you willing to accept that?

jaxjags

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »

Not sure. This is not the same as a home owners association where you can vote for these type of things. We have a representative system with city council representing the whole neighborhood and the city. If you take a vote, who gets to vote. Just the neighbors, within a mile, the whole CC district, the city. What happens when some like the development, but don't like the color or finishes. I here your point, but running new development this way can lead to no development. If you took a vote by just the businesses it would win, correct? Also those who don't want this should make valid points. For instance home values will  not go down and traffic will not be significantly impacted. If you just don't want apartments, not sure that flies.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
I emailed in support of the development.  City council should be interesting tonight.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »
Council meeting was ugly with a parade of Speakers including the Mensa members  that recently built obscene homes bordering a commercial property. They are so concerned about our neighborhood, character and it’s green space that an older home on a double lot was demolished so they could build new McMansions just overflowing with the historic character they are trying so hard to protect. I must admit, I came close to tearing up with the inevitable “think of the children!”.

If I have to choose between 200 new residents in an apartment who will likely walk to most places in our neighborhood or 200 of these special Current  residents who drive everywhere, use stupid amounts of water and chemicals on their historic lawns, I choose the renters every time.

I am going to need more popcorn.

Note...sounds like much negative feedback to council members. If you are in favor, please contact city council. As with most things, The nays  tend to be active and vocal.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:01:39 PM by sanmarcomatt »

jaxjags

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
I emailed my support to all City Council Members.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2020, 03:59:24 PM »
Did the developer get the zoning change?

I've seen a lot right size San Marco signs, even in other neighborhoods.  Curious if they blocked it in the end or not.

77danj7

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
According to the facebook for these guys the developer submitted a revised PUD and site plan.  I haven't looked at them to see what is different as of yet.