Author Topic: Just say no to density  (Read 9779 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Just say no to density
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2019, 01:18:19 PM »
Yeah. I get the impression most in Jax don't know what real density is but still remain confused when the retailers and grocery chains they desire won't locate to certain areas. These things go hand in hand.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
It seems to me that there is willingness to walk in North San Marco more...but I don’t have as much exposure so can’t say for sure.

Yeah we resided in the dregs aka north san marco, and there was plenty more pedestrian activity up there. I even routinely walked to the library, hightide, v pizza, bistro aix etc. Maybe it's cause us folks in those parts couldn't afford cars.

Seems like less traffic than the previous approved East San Marco plan. Did Doug compare the two?

East San Marco was originally approved for 280 residential units and the Publix.  They are now doing 35 units.  This development will have 135-140 units.  Between the two projects there will be over 100 fewer residential units than what was proposed and approved in the East San Marco development.

Mic drop

I live in north San Marco now and my wife and I walk pretty much everywhere when we're out. There definitely are more folks walking here than other parts of the neighborhood. That said, our neighbor seems to make a point of driving his truck everywhere even when he's just going to Aardwolf or the Square which are each less than 5 blocks from us.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
Probably about 95% of what I post is intended to only be taken half seriously but if I may take a moment to be a thoughtful, genuine, adult.

I honestly believe that the Park Place development is a small step in the right direction for San Marco. If you agree, please email LeAnna Cumber, LCumber@coj.net.

And if you don’t agree, go screw yourself. (Ahhhh... good to be back).

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
This just brings to mind the people who move near SJTC or SJCounty and complaining about all these new people moving in and ruining our area and causing traffic. 

MusicMan

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
I talked to my friend who lives on Arbor Lane, very close to the proposed development. He said one of the concerns is the height of the garage. It's gonna be pretty damn big, as tall as the church chapel he said. Also, he mentioned that this development could be in 2 stages, and eventually the chapel may come down in favor of even more units. I don't really have a dog in the fight, but both of these issues are legitimate concerns for folks who live within 2-3 blocks of the proposed sight.

Did they discuss a second stage of development at the meeting...?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »
I haven't heard anything about the chapel coming down or the development being in two phases. Is this something mentioned by the developer and church or rumor? Also, how does the height compare to the previously approved height of the East San Marco? Shorter, higher or the same?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »
I do not know, this was the principal concern as stated by my friend who lives there AND went to the meeting. However, if you go over to the site or better yet, stand across the street and imagine a garage behind the chapel but equal to it in height, I get the concern. PLUS this site is adjacent to some pretty luxurious homes. The East San Marco site does not abut any homes that I can see. It was/is more of a stand alone project. This one is snuggled up next to the neighborhood.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
I do not know, this was the principal concern as stated by my friend who lives there AND went to the meeting. However, if you go over to the site or better yet, stand across the street and imagine a garage behind the chapel but equal to it in height, I get the concern. PLUS this site is adjacent to some pretty luxurious homes. The East San Marco site does not abut any homes that I can see. It was/is more of a stand alone project. This one is snuggled up next to the neighborhood.

Why does it make any difference how "luxurious" the homes are? Or is it just that rich people deseve special treatment?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

acme54321

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »

Why does it make any difference how "luxurious" the homes are? Or is it just that rich people deseve special treatment?

It's funny that this keep bringing this up, of course we all know the answer.  I keep hearing about these poor rich folks whose houses back up to this. 

Not one mention of the bungalows on Mango that will look directly at a 4 story garage 75' from their front door. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:30:25 PM by acme54321 »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »

It's funny that this keep bringing this up, of course we all know the answer.  I keep hearing about these poor rich folks whose houses back up to this. 

Not one mention of the bungalows on Mango that will look directly at a 4 story garage 75' from their front door.

Exactly. I appreciate why anyone might object to having this built for that reason. But the way the plight of the "$1 Million Plus" homeowners is being treated as somehow strenghtening the argument against construction is insulting.

MusicMan

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »
"Not one mention of the bungalows on Mango that will look directly at a 4 story garage 75' from their front door. "

I doubt they like it either, but I'm pretty certain that strip is mostly commercial, so that is a significant difference.  And yeah, this is America where who ever has the Gold makes the rules.... Did either of you go to the meeting? I was just telling you what my friend, WHO LIVES VERY CLOSE TO THE SITE, was saying.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
"Not one mention of the bungalows on Mango that will look directly at a 4 story garage 75' from their front door. "

I doubt they like it either, but I'm pretty certain that strip is mostly commercial, so that is a significant difference.  And yeah, this is America where who ever has the Gold makes the rules.... Did either of you go to the meeting? I was just telling you what my friend, WHO LIVES VERY CLOSE TO THE SITE, was saying.

Kerry

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2019, 08:13:55 AM »
I wonder if anyone here will ever live long enough to see the day when a new development is opposed because it will over-crowd the sidewalks and adjacent mass transit stops.
Third Place

J Random Sucker

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »

Well...

one mention. ::)

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »
I wonder if anyone here will ever live long enough to see the day when a new development is opposed because it will over-crowd the sidewalks and adjacent mass transit stops.

Aside from NY, SF, DC, and Chicago, no city in America has this issue.