Author Topic: Just say no to density  (Read 9768 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
Just say no to density
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:03:01 AM »
And here comes the handwringing.

https://www.rightsizesanmarco.com/

Traffic! More people..no...more poorer people! Noooooooooooo!

My favorite was the concern that the church apartments will “tower” over the new million dollar McMansions that were just built on Alexandria Place. Think of the property values!  :'(

I may join this group as I have a cool idea about how we can all wear armbands with an “S” on them to show our SanMarco solidarity.

Kerry

Re: Just say no to density
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »
Something they must learned from Murray Hill residents.
Third Place

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
Well.... I just tried to click the link and it immediately set off security threat alerts on my computer....

Sounds about right.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »

Well.... I just tried to click the link and it immediately set off security threat alerts on my computer....

Sounds about right.

Oops. Sorry.
I made the mistake of signing up for next door ( watch out for that non-White...err...sketchy character!)awhile ago and it was an email notification from that site that led me to the density rebellion. In a shocking twist, the leader of the rebellion  owns one of the Million dollar properties that the apartments will tower over and evidently torpedo the property value. But the real concern is protecting the character of the neighborhood.    ;D

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
I'd probably be annoyed if someone was proposing to build a 4 story parking deck behind my house too.  Sucks to be them.

Papa33

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 10:20:33 AM »
I'd be more concerned about the Publix (but that ship has sailed).

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:26:33 PM »
I'd probably be annoyed if someone was proposing to build a 4 story parking deck behind my house too.  Sucks to be them.

I am sure I would be too.

Oh wait. If I was going to spend a mil building a shrine to my wealth, I would have taken a walk down the street behind the property, considered trends, maybe even pondered what may happen, before purchasing. As  Gordon Gekko said, “ a fool and his money is lucky enough to get together in the first place”.

But considering the area track record, I will believe this project when I see it so I think their precious property values will survive.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »
Why exactly would their property values decline? I get the impression they'll go up as the blocks facing Hendricks and Atlantic fill in with mixed-use development. As for the garage, how it impacts them will be dependent on the design but it doesn't have to be any more negative than the blighted surface parking lot there today. Am I missing something?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 01:36:28 PM »
Why exactly would their property values decline? I get the impression they'll go up as the blocks facing Hendricks and Atlantic fill in with mixed-use development. As for the garage, how it impacts them will be dependent on the design but it doesn't have to be any more negative than the blighted surface parking lot there today. Am I missing something?

I can understand the complaint, but obviously this isn't going to stay church property, and housing seems like a much less intense and traffic-heavy use than even a one-story commercial strip.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
Do your homework before buying a house.  A growing city and a hot neighborhood and this is going to happen. 

vicupstate

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
In fairness, is the developer seeking a zoning change?  It is one thing if the project is already allowed as designed. It is another if they are seeing to change the law about what is allowed.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
I think most of the excuses being offered are just a smokescreen to deflect from the fact that the snobs don't want their property values to be negatively impacted when the proles arrive.

I lived on St Johns Avenue when they built that ugly pink apartment building (I think it is now called the Bell apartments or something). It is over 200 units and hasn't really made traffic unbearable in the area. Nor did the Publix shopping center, come to think of it.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

JPalmer

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
In the San Marco Resident I do recall a person complaining and basically telling everyone they lived in one of the newly constructed homes on Alexandria and opposed the apartments. 

77danj7

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
In fairness, is the developer seeking a zoning change?  It is one thing if the project is already allowed as designed. It is another if they are seeing to change the law about what is allowed.

From what I can remember, they are trying to go from current zoning of 20 units per acre on a 3 acre lot to 60.  With that increase they are looking to build 143 units on the 2.4 acres as opposed to the ~48 units under current zoning.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »

For most property I would say you are correct and it would go up. What you may be “Missing” is this particular property, it’s elevated cost, and the current/future market for it. Personally I would never care about the future value of my primary residence as I think it is rather stupid, But if I was this owner (and did care)I would 100% agree with him to think his will go lower.

As the resident San Marco snob who monitors the upper end of the SM market for possible future housing decisions I can offer a detailed opinion if necessary but probably not needed.

I think the other typical nimby concerns will be echoed by others and the “think of the property values” rally cry probably won’t be.