Author Topic: Miami investor proposes the city’s tallest building  (Read 4419 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Miami investor proposes the city’s tallest building
« on: November 04, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »
I'll believe it when I see it but this will make Heights Unknown pretty giddy!

A Miami investor has proposed Jacksonville’s first Northbank high-rise in almost 30 years that also would tower over Downtown’s tallest buildings.

Miami real estate investor Ramon Llorens presented conceptual designs for a 54-story, mixed-use tower at the site of the former Downtown Greyhound terminal to Downtown Investment Authority CEO Lori Boyer.

Boyer said Monday that Llorens and a Miami-based architect presented plans for the 1.46-acre site during a meeting at her office in October.

Llorens did not respond to a request for comment Monday.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/miami-investor-proposes-the-citys-tallest-building
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Miami investor proposes the city’s tallest building
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 12:28:35 PM »
I mean, Llorens seems to be able to pull this off financially....if he wanted to.

It's certainly a nice piece of property, but this plan probably lies somewhere in between a done deal and the hotel on the Farah & Farah parking lot that the Peyton Administration teased but acknowledged the developers hadn't called them back for 6 months.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 12:28:56 PM »
Didn't the economy implode the last time people started proposing giant high-rises in Jacksonville?

Correlation doesn't equal causation, but…

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »
In an interview after the program, Boyer said the tower would include multifamily residential units, corporate office space, hotel rooms and a parking garage, as well as ground-level restaurant space.

So, it's SimCity? Sounds a little too good to be true IMO.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
Heights Unknown brain explosion in 3...2...1..
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 12:47:56 PM »
Heights Unknown brain explosion in 3...2...1..

Cue recession in 3...2...1...

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
So tomorrow he is supposed to appear before a judge about his illegal parking lot in downtown Jax and today DIA and the developer makes this public.  Anyone else skeptical about motivation?
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »
So tomorrow he is supposed to appear before a judge about his illegal parking lot in downtown Jax and today DIA and the developer makes this public.  Anyone else skeptical about motivation?

Not at all!

Kerry, I don't often agree with you but I had the same first thought. I'm not convinced it's related, but it certainly could be. He may genuinely have an interest in developing the lot but I agree, the approach is.....unorthodox.

vicupstate

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 01:14:30 PM »
Since September 2014, through ownership groups, Llorens acquired Jacksonville holdings that include the 30-story TIAA Bank Center Downtown; a Downtown parking garage at 336 W. Bay St.; a 2.78-acre parking lot at Hogan and West Bay streets; a 1.48-acre Downtown parking lot at 317 Water St. by the Omni Jacksonville Hotel; Southbank riverfront commercial buildings;  the former Ford Motor Co. plant and property near the Sports Complex; and 250 acres along New Berlin Road in North Jacksonville.

This is a lot of property. Are we sure his name didn't use to be Cameron Kuhn? 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 02:10:11 PM »
The collection of property is interesting. He's got both parking lots adjacent to Enterprise Center (office building and Omni), and the TIAA Bank Building right across the street from one of the lots, plus this vacant lot next to TIAA Bank.

The optimist in me says this is a ton of land in as good of property possible downtown that isn't on the river.

I-10east

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
Cue someone making a mock up of what a random 700ft tall building would look like from the riverfront.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »

Not at all!

Kerry, I don't often agree with you but I had the same first thought. I'm not convinced it's related, but it certainly could be. He may genuinely have an interest in developing the lot but I agree, the approach is.....unorthodox.

For what it's worth, the talk isn't new.

Someone associated with the property mentioned it to me about a year ago:

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,34634.msg485582.html#msg485582

Llorens has been talking about a "Miami style" skyscraper larger than anything in downtown Jax since he bought the property.

No idea how feasible, sounds pie in the sky, but definitely something that's been talked about for awhile.

Good carrot to float on a string though if you don't want any trouble with your illegal parking lot...

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
I wonder what his intent is for the Ford plant property.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
It’s more likely than the Mooneyham proposal.
Lenny Smash

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »
What exactly is a "Miami-style" high rise and how does it differ from any other style?  I know Vancouver pioneered their highrise style but didn't know Miami did.
Third Place