Author Topic: Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020  (Read 68263 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
^Correct. COJ will be paying for at least $233 million worth of things if council approves what the mayor's office wants. Remediation will be needed. However, it doesn't sound like they have a true idea of how much remediation is needed and how much it will ultimately cost.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »
They can always take funds from the hotel/apartment component since that is just a slush fund anyhow.
Third Place

MusicMan

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 01:55:51 PM »
"“I think the ultimate thing is, we would like to envision a Four Seasons. That’s what we’re targeting on the river once the [Hart Bridge] overpass comes in. That’s going to define the city. Really, what a difference that would make to have people come in who are going to stay in the city.”

Well those rich business men driving down Bay Street will enjoy the jail on one side and the delightful Berkman II on the other side on their way to The Four Seasons.

Is Curry aware of what is planned on Laura Street?

KenFSU

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »
For what it's worth (which ultimately isn't a ton, considering how flexible the agreement is), the current term sheet lists the city's remediation contribution at $6.3 million. I don't think it's going to cost much more than that. The more likely scenario seems to be that it's a worst case estimate, with the unused funds (like all other unused funds from the city's contribution) going back into other portions of the project. I know they're out there testing now, but if you remember back when the Jags were going after JEA, Paul Harden said that they had already completed initial environmental analysis and believed that remediation would take less than three months.

Interesting to hear Khan finally come out and directly mention the Four Seasons goal, which would obviously coincide with a convention center. Perhaps not surprisingly, also interesting to hear his stance on a JEA sale change from "stupid idea" to "no comment." Huge Jags fan. I think having them here is great for the city. Totally get that, with the NFL in particular, you've got to pay to play. That said, when you factor in Lot J, the Shipyards, a convention center, and the inevitable stadium ask, we're putting ourselves in a position to hand the Jags more money than the GDP of some countries. Easily over a billion. To essentially create an adjacent, competing downtown for the well-to-do and out-of-towners, while nickel-and-diming the actual civic downtown core that our citizens live, work, play, and receive essential services in.

More power to him. It's cool that the Jags genuinely want to lay down long-term roots in the city. I don't fault him for making these asks. It's what sports owners all over the country are doing. Let our elected city officials and voters do their jobs and decide if it's the best use of city resources. Just wish we'd discuss it for what it is and quit with the narrative of Lot J being a downtown redevelopment project that's going to catalyze the rest of the urban core.

MusicMan

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
Lori Boyer on WJCT 89.9 FM RIGHT NOW!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »
Was in a meeting and missed it. Did she mention anything worth discussing here?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
I'm aware I am a minority on the subject, but I strongly feel demolishing the ramps into downtown is a BIG mistake.  It's only purpose is to help Lot J to the further detriment of downtown.  This city is demolish-centric.  A stop light at Lot J?  That's funny.  That will make me want to linger in Kahn's development?  While we're at it, why not divert all I-95 traffic down Bay St.?
LOL...I get it snake. And I whole heartedly agree!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »
The Sports Complex is not Downtown Jacksonville. I don’t care how many times Khan, Curry or their underlings say it. The Sports Complex is not Downtown Jacksonville. Also, the rich businessmen who can’t bear the Omni or Hyatt for more than 2 nights are spoiled little babies. They should be forced to live for a week in a place with real challenges.
I don't hate Mr. Kahn, but it appears that's what he is doing, trying to make Lot J either the central urban business district, or a separate downtown by the stadium apart from our tradition central downtown and urban core. As for those business men that don't like Omni or Hyatt, go stay in a Hotel in Ruskin or Baldwin; maybe then you'll more appreciate Hotels of the like and caliber of Omni and Hyatt! Or...go back from where you came from!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
"“I think the ultimate thing is, we would like to envision a Four Seasons. That’s what we’re targeting on the river once the [Hart Bridge] overpass comes in. That’s going to define the city. Really, what a difference that would make to have people come in who are going to stay in the city.”

Well those rich business men driving down Bay Street will enjoy the jail on one side and the delightful Berkman II on the other side on their way to The Four Seasons.

Is Curry aware of what is planned on Laura Street?
Jail and Berkman II LOL...what a beautiful sight for those businessmen...again, LOL, on the way to the beautiful 700 feet tall (and I'll bet it will be the tallest when completed cause Kahn will want to make a statement). Anyhoo, hope it works out; I've got my skepticism lit up on this one, but trying to be positive.

heights unknown

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
For what it's worth (which ultimately isn't a ton, considering how flexible the agreement is), the current term sheet lists the city's remediation contribution at $6.3 million. I don't think it's going to cost much more than that. The more likely scenario seems to be that it's a worst case estimate, with the unused funds (like all other unused funds from the city's contribution) going back into other portions of the project. I know they're out there testing now, but if you remember back when the Jags were going after JEA, Paul Harden said that they had already completed initial environmental analysis and believed that remediation would take less than three months.

Interesting to hear Khan finally come out and directly mention the Four Seasons goal, which would obviously coincide with a convention center. Perhaps not surprisingly, also interesting to hear his stance on a JEA sale change from "stupid idea" to "no comment." Huge Jags fan. I think having them here is great for the city. Totally get that, with the NFL in particular, you've got to pay to play. That said, when you factor in Lot J, the Shipyards, a convention center, and the inevitable stadium ask, we're putting ourselves in a position to hand the Jags more money than the GDP of some countries. Easily over a billion. To essentially create an adjacent, competing downtown for the well-to-do and out-of-towners, while nickel-and-diming the actual civic downtown core that our citizens live, work, play, and receive essential services in.

More power to him. It's cool that the Jags genuinely want to lay down long-term roots in the city. I don't fault him for making these asks. It's what sports owners all over the country are doing. Let our elected city officials and voters do their jobs and decide if it's the best use of city resources. Just wish we'd discuss it for what it is and quit with the narrative of Lot J being a downtown redevelopment project that's going to catalyze the rest of the urban core.

It won't catalyze anything in that area in my opinion for the exception of the build of Lot J next to the Stadium; I could be wrong, but I believe that Curry and Co. should also pay attention, equal attention mind you on the traditional downtown urban core along with Lot J. I think Lot J will be good, cool, etc., but don't neglect our traditional and historic CBD and urban core!

heights unknown

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
Lori Boyer on WJCT 89.9 FM RIGHT NOW!
What did she say Music Man? Are they demolishing BOA Building, Wells Fargo Building, and all other buildings over 100 feet in height on the Northbank and Southbank? Just playing.

MusicMan

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »
She's a good politician, so she didn't want to rock the boat on Khan, The Lot J issue.....  She's pretty much on board with everything that is being proposed for downtown (i.e  demolish The Landing) , lots of HOPE that good things will happen, but no guarantee. 

There will be a replay I believe so you can check out the website and see when that is.

When I suggested we spend half of what has been pledged to LOT J on the rest of downtown (specifically the CBD) she didn't really comment....

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
If we spent half of what Lot J needs on the CBD, that would be a game changer with significant more economic impact. It would actually end the talk about revitalizing downtown by actually truly revitalizing it into a condition where market rate projects really become feasible.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
That sounds great and all, but why accomplish that when we could just sell out the public for some sweet political (and personal) capital and replace Marco Rubio in the Senate before it finally blows up in everyone's faces?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

vicupstate

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 01:05:18 PM »
If we spent half of what Lot J needs on the CBD, that would be a game changer with significant more economic impact. It would actually end the talk about revitalizing downtown by actually truly revitalizing it into a condition where market rate projects really become feasible.

Well, to be fair, it isn't just how much is spent, but how. If you add up all the money (adjusted for inflation) to demolish buildings, build Seafood restaurants that never open, over-widen Riverside Avenue, build the largely useless Skyway, build mini parks for the homeless,  etc., etc., it would total at least as much as 50% of Lot J, maybe 100%.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln