Author Topic: Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020  (Read 68232 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
But Khan’s strongest opinions were about Lot J and how it could bring a new energy to Jacksonville and revive downtown.

Three months ago, Jacksonville mayor Lenny Curry announced a tentative deal for the city to pay up to $233.03 million toward the cost of Khan’s proposed $450 million development on parking Lot J next to TIAA Bank Field, but there’s no agreement yet in place.

Curry said at the July 31 announcement that the Lot J development would “position Jacksonville for world-class events that we simply cannot compete for today.”

Khan’s development team, which includes The Cordish Companies as a partner, would build the entertainment district containing restaurants, bars, a 300-unit luxury high-rise tower, a 200-room boutique hotel, an office tower and outdoor stage, though the plan does have flexibility.

While Curry outlined the deal’s framework, it still awaits approval by the Downtown Investment Authority, which hasn’t heard yet on the agreement, and then the City Council.

Khan was especially passionate about building a high-end hotel on the river to serve as a focal point of a revived downtown area. His group is talking with three hotel operator candidates about being part of the Lot J development, and remains hopeful another five-star hotel can be built if a Hart Bridge overpass comes to fruition.

“We definitely want to have a better hotel experience than we do right now in Jacksonville,” said Khan. “I get that all the time from executives who come in and leave town. It would be a higher hotel [on Lot J] than what we have [in Jacksonville].

“I think the ultimate thing is, we would like to envision a Four Seasons. That’s what we’re targeting on the river once the [Hart Bridge] overpass comes in. That’s going to define the city. Really, what a difference that would make to have people come in who are going to stay in the city.”

Khan relayed a story from an unidentified executive who stayed in Jacksonville, but left unsatisfied with his hotel accommodations.

“He goes and comes to Jacksonville and he says [the hotel experience] is the worst part of my thing,” Khan said. “I could stay there a week, but I only want to stay two nights.”

Full Article: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20191102/khan-jaguars-expect-lot-j-development-to-begin-early-2020
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Khan, Jaguars expect Lot J development to begin early 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »
Lot's of nuggets in this article. Overall, it gives me the impression that there's a disconnect in what's considered downtown (really already knew this) and what's perceived as critically missing. I doubt the majority believe a high-end hotel will serve as the focal point of a revived downtown. That's a rich man's problem that will fail to address the more critical issues hampering the city.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
What’s the “Hart Bridge Overpass” that is being referred to in the article?  And why is a hotel dependent upon it?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »
Khan wants COJ and FDOT to remove the elevated portion of the Hart Bridge Expressway ramps that run adjacent to the stadium. Bringing the expressway to ground and placing a stoplight at the stadium will allow more traffic to turn into Lot J. Without the extra traffic, much of what's proposed for Lot J isn't feasible....even with $233 million in public incentives.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
Khan talks of a Four Seasons hotel on the river.  For that to work, it will likely need to be a mostly self contained resort-style property given there is nothing within walking distance other than occasional events at the stadium complex to drive business.  I am thinking something like the island Westin in the Savannah River or the stand-alone JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton in Orlando 8).  Maybe Khan thinks he also has a future convention center in the bag.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »
^Maybe so, but how is that "transformational" for downtown?

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
Lot's of nuggets in this article. Overall, it gives me the impression that there's a disconnect in what's considered downtown (really already knew this) and what's perceived as critically missing. I doubt the majority believe a high-end hotel will serve as the focal point of a revived downtown. That's a rich man's problem that will fail to address the more critical issues hampering the city.

It's the dumbbell revitalization method, of course! In the dumbbell method, the endpoints must cater to the elite who are served by peons running back and forth.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
^Maybe so, but how is that "transformational" for downtown?

Lake, agree and that's my point.  Having little to do with downtown is why he will have to pull these other rabbits out of the hat to make it work, if it works at all.  I don't see it doing anything for downtown and expect anything on Lot J to actually hurt as it will pull people away from downtown proper setting it back even more.  If one thinks of thinks of downtown as including the stadium area, we could actually have a house divided in which both pieces fail.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:56:42 PM by jaxlongtimer »

MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »
Remind me, where else has Shad Khan done a similar and successful real estate development like this?

Snaketoz

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
I'm aware I am a minority on the subject, but I strongly feel demolishing the ramps into downtown is a BIG mistake.  It's only purpose is to help Lot J to the further detriment of downtown.  This city is demolish-centric.  A stop light at Lot J?  That's funny.  That will make me want to linger in Kahn's development?  While we're at it, why not divert all I-95 traffic down Bay St.?

AdamsOnAdams

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 09:00:24 AM »
The Sports Complex is not Downtown Jacksonville. I don’t care how many times Khan, Curry or their underlings say it. The Sports Complex is not Downtown Jacksonville. Also, the rich businessmen who can’t bear the Omni or Hyatt for more than 2 nights are spoiled little babies. They should be forced to live for a week in a place with real challenges.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:02:22 AM by AdamsOnAdams »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 09:01:27 AM »
Snaketoz, if it is a minority, I join you in thinking removing the Hart Ramps is a dumb idea.  For normal commuters to downtown, it will add two stop lights they don't face now: where the new ramp will come down to Bay at Gator Bowl Blvd. (by WJCT), and the Lot J signal. As they approach Intuition / AP Randolph, they will have a choice of going back up onto the ramps to go to Adams or Duval Streets, or staying on Bay - with a signal at APR.  The real problem for commuters will be every time there is an event in the Sports Complex during the work week.  Commuters that would normally be on the elevated ramps from about Liberty Street all the way across the bridge, will be forced into event traffic along Bay Street. Alternatively, Southside or Beaches commuters who use the Hart could use the Main Street or Mathews Bridges.
Note that New Bay (Khan Parkway?) will not have any more capacity (lanes) than the current Bay Street - 2 lanes each way.

MusicMan

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
And remind me, please, the Lot J site is shovel ready, correct? No environmental concerns or clean up needed, correct?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
No, they're about to start testing the environmental situation to determine what type of clean up is needed.

MusicMan

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 10:29:20 AM »
Lake, what do you expect the outcome to be? The COJ will pay for remediation, correct?