Author Topic: What are YOUR favorite memories of The Landing?  (Read 7250 times)

sandyshoes

Re: What are YOUR favorite memories of The Landing?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
Tacachale, you brought a very interesting point to light - the opening shots of our downtown area during the Jags home games and Georgia/Florida games.  NOW what are they going to feature?    BTW, I was getting a little ferklempt, too, reading people's favorite memories of The Landing.  Thanks for sharing such special times and emotions.  I know there are lots more out there and I think it does all of us good to read them and nod our heads in agreement and 'oh, I remember that too' moments.  Keep 'em coming.   

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 12:51:38 PM »
This thread suggest the Landing was an iconic and culturally significant site for Jacksonville.

I didn't grow in Jax but as a child, we visited Jax quite often but 90% of our trips were to NW Jax and we never went outside of NW Jax except to church in New Springfield and Main or I-95 south and right out of town. One trip, we went to the Landing and it must have been around 1989, 1990 or so. I remember the fudge place, B. Dalton, Spencer Gifts and a host of other retailers that were in the festival marketplaces we had already visited in Toledo, Miami and Tampa. I just remember the Landing really being lively and the big sign on the top of the building really standing out. As a kid of serial shoppers during the mall era, it also felt pretty unique with the horseshoe shape. Curry is a shortsighted fool for destroying it. The vibrancy of the Northbank core could have been completely different if they just for once, embraced inclusion and community. Some may consider it an old 1980s mall.....but whatever, it was uniquely Jax in terms of the architecture, cultural and social experiences generated there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:53:10 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
I was a bartender at Jocks and Jills for almost 2 years, my (then) wife was working at Southend and just the sheer amount of 20-somethings that worked around there and would hang out and party on their nights off is unimaginable to think about now.

Such good times.

It's weird thinking about it now... did the club scene just completely die or did I completely outgrow it?  Because I remember meeting up at the Landing for drinks before we would go see one of any big-named DJs or band that were coming through. I guess the heydays of Club 5 / 618 / Milkbar / Evo....   

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 03:02:22 PM »
It's weird thinking about it now... did the club scene just completely die or did I completely outgrow it?  Because I remember meeting up at the Landing for drinks before we would go see one of any big-named DJs or band that were coming through. I guess the heydays of Club 5 / 618 / Milkbar / Evo....

Couldn't tell you, I've always been too old for the club scene.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
I visited JAX for the first time in 1995, I believe it was. I don't count driving thru to get to Orlando. I remember being truly blown away, and the Landing was definitely part of that. I ate at the American Cafe, I think it was called. The ambiance of the warm summer breeze and the lights reflecting off the river seemed pretty unique. DT was dead except for the Landing but that was more than most cities could say at the time.     
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:25:14 PM by vicupstate »
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
When the Landing first opened, it had a Banana Republic shop. It was the first time I had ever seen one of those. And they sold a lot of safari-looking clothing. Nothing like what it became.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »
This thread suggest the Landing was an iconic and culturally significant site for Jacksonville.
Curry is a shortsighted fool for destroying it. The vibrancy of the Northbank core could have been completely different if they just for once, embraced inclusion and community. Some may consider it an old 1980s mall.....but whatever, it was uniquely Jax in terms of the architecture, cultural and social experiences generated there.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Echoing many previous poster's comments, always loved Fun and Games/Toy Factory, both as a kid and with kids.  Still have collectible planes and an early 90s Jax-opoly board from there.  They had a ventriloquist's dummy when my nephew wanted one.

The River City Gourmet Shoppe was a nice memory from the Sleiman era.  No one ever had better balsamic vinegar, and the owner graciously replaced the bottle I dropped on the floor at no charge, even as I caused an oil slick through the Landing.  The lady who made the peach Melba flavored cupcakes, the painter by mouth, James Pontal's photography, and Adrian Pickett's charcoal drawings are missed too.

Apple A Day had some good fruit; it and Coastal Cookies were endearingly always there in the same location through much transition.  Always enjoyed the American Café, though it changed its name repeatedly over the years; I think it was Mozzarella's, Silver Spoon, and American Grill at various times.  Twisted Martini always seemed to have its fans.

Loved going to Sports Mania and its predecessor (Raggz?) for Jaguar gear in the early years of the franchise.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:23:18 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
American Cafe and the skyline views of the sign. Big mistake by the city

sandyshoes

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »
Agreed, KNJ, it was a big mistake by the City.  Just remembered a couple other things I enjoyed;  seeing the fireworks 'waterfall' off the Main St. Bridge at boat parades and pep rallies...The Accessory Lady store with all their big '80s jewelry and headbands...Cuco's Mexican Restaurant right there on the right when you first walked into the Landing.  I had forgotten L&N Seafood, it was delicious too.  Got a great hat at the clothing store somebody else mentioned, with the 'safari' type clothing.  Partying at various class reunions...we took a cruise on the Annabelle Lee the first night, and about a handful of us straggled over to Hooters and just sat and talked for another 2 hours or so.  Tears are coming now, gotta go. 

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »
I've had many fond memories as a teen and young adult but there was one moment at the Landing that was especially poignant. I brought my then-girlfriend to the Landing on New Year's eve because she never seen fireworks in person on New Year's Day before. She was so surprised to see the Landing so alive with all the New Year's revelers and fans of the teams playing the Gator Bowl later that day because when friends always brought her there it was always so dead.

And as we kissed under the lights of the fireworks going off that balmy night, as precious as those moments were, I also had a tinge of sadness - with all the fits and starts the Landing had gone through I thought this place, and Downtown in general, was starting to turn the corner into being what it truly can be. After the city hosted the Super Bowl there seemed to be real momentum to start putting hotels, residences, and office space to an area that was ripe for a shot in the arm of urban vitality and it was finally going to get it...

...and I was not going to be a part of any of that. My mind had long been made up I was leaving the region I've called home for all these years to start a new chapter of my life. Looking back at that moment to what has become now as well as all seeing these other charming posts of  memories of events and hangouts that have come and gone, my feelings of anger and frustration at the whole handling of the Landing have turned more into abject disappointment.

Disappointment in what could have been.   

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »

I didn't grow in Jax but as a child, we visited Jax quite often but 90% of our trips were to NW Jax and we never went outside of NW Jax except to church in New Springfield and Main or I-95 south and right out of town. One trip, we went to the Landing and it must have been around 1989, 1990 or so. I remember the fudge place, B. Dalton, Spencer Gifts and a host of other retailers that were in the festival marketplaces we had already visited in Toledo, Miami and Tampa. I just remember the Landing really being lively and the big sign on the top of the building really standing out. As a kid of serial shoppers during the mall era, it also felt pretty unique with the horseshoe shape. Curry is a shortsighted fool for destroying it. The vibrancy of the Northbank core could have been completely different if they just for once, embraced inclusion and community. Some may consider it an old 1980s mall.....but whatever, it was uniquely Jax in terms of the architecture, cultural and social experiences generated there.
I agree Lake. A lot of history and of course ingrained and learned Jax Culture grew, in time, into the Landing making it an integral part of downtown Jacksonville and the city as a whole. Yes, huge mistake by Curry and Company.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

MusicMan

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
Being able to get a Starbucks coffee while on break from Jacksonville Symphony services.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Reading through these memories makes me wonder, what the hell happened?  In 20 years if you ask this same question to today's teenagers their memories would be of vacant stores, shootings, and homeless people.

My first (and only positive) memory of The Landing is from a textbook during college in the early 90's.  We moved to Jax in 2003 and it wasn't anything close to what has been described in this thread.
Third Place

pierre

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 02:32:02 PM »
I remember always going there during school field trips to MOSH, the Florida Theater or anywhere downtown. This is early-mid 90's when I was elementary-middle school age.

It involved grabbing lunch at what seemed like a thriving food court and heading to the Ostrich Landing to spend some money my parents gave me.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
Reading through these memories makes me wonder, what the hell happened?

Same thing that happened to most malls that were popular in the 1980s. The market and retailing trends change with times and additional investment in your facilities and strategies to adapt with changes times are needed to remain relevant in the market place. In the case of the Landing, you not only have that to deal with and overcome, COJ has never been a great partner in what was supposed to be a public private relationship. Relationships involving partners that don't get along or can't trust each other tend to ultimately fail.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali