Author Topic: Riverside & San Marco Parking Plan Draws Opposition  (Read 6030 times)

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Riverside & San Marco Parking Plan Draws Opposition
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
Vicupstate - are you aware of any local discussions about charging for on-street parking there?

None currently. There was a study done about 5-8 years ago that recommended it and it went nowhere.  The mayor is very much against it charging for on street parking.     

Wait, what? They have a City Manager in Greeneville, no? How can this sort of travesty happen in that type of superior structure, in a place where sprawl does not exist?  Has the City Manager not watched YouTube?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 04:14:46 PM »
Just curious, how do the Greeneville parking folks keep track of vehicles to enforce the 2-hour (or whatever) limit?  I ask because I remember from earlier this year that a court has declared "chalking" to be unconstitutional.
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716248823/court-says-using-chalk-on-tires-for-parking-enforcement-violates-constitution

vicupstate

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Just curious, how do the Greeneville parking folks keep track of vehicles to enforce the 2-hour (or whatever) limit?  I ask because I remember from earlier this year that a court has declared "chalking" to be unconstitutional.
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716248823/court-says-using-chalk-on-tires-for-parking-enforcement-violates-constitution

The parking attendants use a hand-held device to key in the tag numbers. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »
Relax!
This is all so easy.
Simply shift this to US Army Corps Of Engineers, in some form or fashion, place in the laps of Corps Jacksonville Office persons ( Including former River Keeper ) handling Fishweir Creek Restoration.
Parking/ Meters DIA and River Advocacy quite similar digestive.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2019, 07:44:45 AM »
Relax!
This is all so easy.
Simply shift this to US Army Corps Of Engineers, in some form or fashion, place in the laps of Corps Jacksonville Office persons ( Including former River Keeper ) handling Fishweir Creek Restoration.
Parking/ Meters DIA and River Advocacy quite similar digestive.

I almost never have any idea what you are saying on this website

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
I think he is saying even if it gets approved it will take years to be implemented.
Third Place

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »

Parking that is free but limited in time does not result in the same behaviors as parking that has a fee up front.

For those on the Shoup bandwagon, not charging a fee upfront is bad.

As for tracking, even if the anti-chalking ruling holds up as is, I'm not sure it matters much. 

If it's not already on the market, we have the pieces of tech to have smart meters that do things like give the first 30 minutes free and auto bill for the rest.  And / or they could alert people when their 3 hour limit is approaching.  Etc, etc, etc.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 11:55:43 AM »
Having visited the Riverside area for nearly a decade now, and lived there for about 18 months I can see a major unintended effect of this very clearly:

If you charge for parking in "the squares" like 5-Points, King St., San Marco Square, people will try to evade the paid parking by parking street-side in front of the residences around the area, which already causes a lot of headache for residents in the areas and would likely only be made worse by making the "best" spots paid. People will walk blocks to avoid paying a couple of dollars for parking, and the residents may be unable to find parking for their own homes as a result.

Riverside and San Marco differ substantially from Downtown in that they are residential areas with commercial blocks. I don't think the residents are being considered here (of course they aren't, this is about money nor public service)

Des

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
Having visited the Riverside area for nearly a decade now, and lived there for about 18 months I can see a major unintended effect of this very clearly:

If you charge for parking in "the squares" like 5-Points, King St., San Marco Square, people will try to evade the paid parking by parking street-side in front of the residences around the area, which already causes a lot of headache for residents in the areas and would likely only be made worse by making the "best" spots paid. People will walk blocks to avoid paying a couple of dollars for parking, and the residents may be unable to find parking for their own homes as a result.

Riverside and San Marco differ substantially from Downtown in that they are residential areas with commercial blocks. I don't think the residents are being considered here (of course they aren't, this is about money nor public service)

Key West marks the residential spots, maybe implement that? Just a bit of paint.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »

Areas reserved for residential parking only are pretty common in cities.     That shouldn't be an obstacle.  In fact, if it's a problem for residents today it's something that needs to be implemented.   

That would also go to show that demand is outstripping supply.