Author Topic: Riverside & San Marco Parking Plan Draws Opposition  (Read 10456 times)

Papa33

Re: Riverside & San Marco Parking Plan Draws Opposition
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
"Drain the swamp.  I only hire the best."

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »

This is why we need to get rid of the Strong Mayor format and move to a City Manager.  The day to day operations of the City need to be taken out of the hands of politicians, and all these review boards need to be stacked with activist and not political appointees who later want to do business with the City and/or the businesses they are supposed to be monitoring.  The whole thing is an cesspool.

I know I know - the strong mayor format works in City X - but who gives a crap - it isn't working here.
Third Place

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »

This is why we need to get rid of the Strong Mayor format and move to a City Manager.  The day to day operations of the City need to be taken out of the hands of politicians, and all these review boards need to be stacked with activist and not political appointees who later want to do business with the City and/or the businesses they are supposed to be monitoring.  The whole thing is an cesspool.

I know I know - the strong mayor format works in City X - but who gives a crap - it isn't working here.

There is a City Manager/weak Mayor system in Tallahassee (and a separate County Commission, since Leon County and the City of Tallahassee are not a consolidated form of government, although of all counties in Florida, Leon is the poster child of needing a consolidated form of government). That checks all your convenient boxes on what's wrong with Jacksonville... and low and behold, corruption still happens.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-scott-maddox-tallahassee-plea-20190806-p6e63ky52jfkvh5sxkidmsjewq-story.html

None of that though, has anything to do with privatizing public parking in Jacksonville. Please stay on topic.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:55:57 PM by fieldafm »

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
So what are the odds the City agrees to this?  I personally think paid parking should be extended to Riverside and San Marco with all parking converted to pay stations and the complete removal of individually marked parking spaces along streets.  If your car can fit you can park, if it can't, go look somewhere else.  However, I see no reason to let a middle man enter the mix.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:04:39 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

vicupstate

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 02:27:35 PM »
So what are the odds the City agrees to this?  I personally think paid parking should be extended to Riverside and San Marco with all parking converted to pay stations and the complete removal of individually marked parking spaces along streets.  If your car can fit you can park, if it can't, go look somewhere else.  However, I see no reason to let a middle man enter the mix.

The whole thing is a scam, and the powers that be stand to gain from it. I put the odds at passage at 95%. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Captain Zissou

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »

The whole thing is a scam, and the powers that be stand to gain from it. I put the odds at passage at 95%. 

I say 85% odds based on what neighborhoods this is impacting.  If this was for springfield and the eastside, it would have passed before the news ever got wind of it.  If San Marco raises hell, odds of passage are lower.  If they see this as a way to keep outsiders from sullying their beautiful neighborhood, odds of passage 100%.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »

I say 85% odds based on what neighborhoods this is impacting.  If this was for springfield and the eastside, it would have passed before the news ever got wind of it.  If San Marco raises hell, odds of passage are lower.  If they see this as a way to keep outsiders from sullying their beautiful neighborhood, odds of passage 100%.

I doubt it goes through in its entirety, and maybe not at all. I feel like the proposal works for Grey economically because of the inclusion of San Marco and Riverside. But, I can’t see them being for this at all and if it gets serious, watch them raise hell. I feel like even Curry himself wouldn’t be stupid enough to screw up San Marco and Riverside.

Then they may consider the proposal for downtown only, but likely the economics create a challenge.

CityLife

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 02:51:30 PM »
I can't believe anyone would even think to make a proposal like this without heavily engaging the merchants associations and community groups in both neighborhoods.

An interesting case study would be the Beaches Town Center. AB and NB just implemented paid parking programs and the process was exactly the opposite of this. The Beaches Town Center Merchants Association spent years trying to solve actual parking issues by creating parking studies and parking management plans, before finally convincing the municipalities to implement a paid parking program.

Would be interesting to get the perspective of the BTCA President Jay Handline, who spent years working on getting community buy in for the implementation of a paid parking program, compared to how Jax is going about it.

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
I don't see how San Marco or Riverside are negatively impacted in any way.  The City on the other hand would get screwed by not getting the full financial benefit.  Springfield should also be included.

For those who have more than a passing interest in paid parking I suggest you joing The Shoupistas group on facebook, read/watch The High Cost of Free Parking,  watch the Donald Shoup videos, and join the Market Urbanism group on Facebook.
Third Place

jaxjags

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 03:06:00 PM »
Be careful with parking privatization especially as it comes to San Marco and Riverside. As it now comes down to money and nothing but money, the managing company can get very cut throat without regards to the citizens or the merchants. I have had this experience at Atlantic Beach Town Center. My vehicle got towed over a non issue (long story). Neptune Beach mayor AGREED with me and tried to get me a refund, BUT had no control as it is privately operated. Even the merchants are not happy with the situation, BUT can do nothing about it. So if you want to keep your customers and merchants happy - BEWARE.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »
I don't see how San Marco or Riverside are negatively impacted in any way.  The City on the other hand would get screwed by not getting the full financial benefit.  Springfield should also be included.

I’d ask the business owners whether they think they’d be negatively impacted.

In terms of including Springfield, I think we all know why they aren’t: The finances likely don’t work for downtown alone. Springfield, while developing, likely would make it even worse. Riverside and San Marco on the other hand get Grey the volume he needs to balance the investment.

vicupstate

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 03:50:21 PM »

For those who have more than a passing interest in paid parking I suggest you joing The Shoupistas group on facebook, read/watch The High Cost of Free Parking,  watch the Donald Shoup videos, and join the Market Urbanism group on Facebook.

I see no benefit to Riverside or San Marco myself. I expect the merchants to fight it tooth and nail.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »

On one of the many Facebook discussions of this, the owner of the Sun-Ray Theater has said he is likely to shut down if short-term meters come to Five Points.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
San Marco’s  formal initial response presented as efficacious,a certain Solid outlook and stance, Riverside / Avondale’s response eventually mirrored Backbone apparent across the River.

Regards neighborhood/ home street parking space charged.....why not simply pay a dividend to the adjacent home/ property owner.Toss that to General Counsel,for starters.
Hopefully this episode will soon Stop dia.

avonjax

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 05:33:48 AM »
Just more incentive for people to shop and eat at SJTC.