Author Topic: Annual Landing Tree Lighting Moved to Hemming Park  (Read 1143 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Annual Landing Tree Lighting Moved to Hemming Park
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
Why not Friendship Fountain Park?  That way it would still be on the riverfront and more visible.

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Why not Friendship Fountain Park?  That way it would still be on the riverfront and more visible.

Right, they should put that tree right in the middle of the barely functional fountain.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »

Right, they should put that tree right in the middle of the barely functional fountain.

It would'nt get wet...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sandyshoes

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
Oh dear, so we're going to keep forcing the various populations of Jacksonville (homeless or not) to look at a Christian-based celebration they don't necessarily care for, buy into, believe in nor practice?  How thoughtless and cruel of us.  Come out, come out, Festivus, Pagans, agnostics - we know you're out there waiting to jump on it.  Let's just nip it in the bud.  How did we ever allow this at The Landing for so long.  O the Shame.  If people want Christmas trees they should put them in their own homes, in designated areas where they won't offend anyone who could see it from the windows or front doors.  (If you think this sounds absolutely ridiculous, you get my point, and I thank you).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »
As a taxpayer, I'm more offended at +$20 million being spent to kick out small businesses and tear down a perfectly fine building with nothing to show for it, except giving Khan $233 million to construct literally the same thing next to the stadium. So $253 million in order for the next Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings to show up a mile down the street. So transformational. Nevertheless, I get your point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
What's most important is that the Mayor and City Council can look out City Hall windows, see the tree, and pat themselves on the back for "preserving the tradition."  Watch for the City photo ops and contrast that with a picture a few days later of the lack of crowds viewing it  8).

Thanks to the City finishing off dozens of retailers/restaurants who used to surround or be in proximity to Hemming Park/Plaza years ago with two other "save Downtown" projects (the remake of the park into a plaza and the Skyway construction) leads to the fact that few of our citizens will encounter Hemming Plaza during the holidays to see this tree or anything else there.  Oh, the irony!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:01:25 PM by jaxlongtimer »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
As a taxpayer, I'm more offended at +$20 million being spent to kick out small businesses and tear down a perfectly fine building with nothing to show for it, except giving Khan $233 million to construct literally the same thing next to the stadium. So $253 million in order for the next Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings to show up a mile down the street. So transformational. Nevertheless, I get your point.

No 40 year old building is perfectly fine.  You know that.

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »

No 40 year old building is perfectly fine.  You know that.

I think your math is a little off.