Author Topic: Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market  (Read 2115 times)

Peter Griffin

Re: Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »
Current debate aside - that is a very crap term to describe people seeking life-saving medical specialties.

holy shit dude it's ALWAYS something, isn't it?

Yeah, if it was me I think I would come up with a term a little more human-oriented and not so much like they are a product, especially when they are seeking life-saving treatments and not cosmetic/elective surgeries.  Memphis must be tickled pink with all their medical tourist at St. Judes.  If one of my family members were in need of life-saving medical care in another city and someone described them as a medical tourist I would probably punch them right in the mouth and tell them to enjoy their vacation to the ER.

Man, that went from 0-100 real quick.

"I don't like this innocuous term that approximately describes a known phenomenon, I think I'll inflict violence upon those who use it in a hypothetical situation"

r u ok my dude?

EDIT: ok I'm bashing my head against a wall here, I better log off and go enjoy my long weekend and take a few deep breaths
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:03:02 PM by Peter Griffin »

CityLife

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2019, 01:05:51 PM »
Current debate aside - that is a very crap term to describe people seeking life-saving medical specialties.

Yeah, if it was me I think I would come up with a term a little more human-oriented and not so much like they are a product, especially when they are seeking life-saving treatments and not cosmetic/elective surgeries.  Memphis must be tickled pink with all their medical tourist at St. Judes.  If one of my family members were in need of life-saving medical care in another city and someone described them as a medical tourist I would probably punch them right in the mouth and tell them to enjoy their vacation to the ER.

As someone who used to live next to many UF Proton Therapy patients and has also served as a lobbyist for a cancer center (outside of Jax), I can assure you that none of them are offended by being considered "medical tourists". In fact many of them treat their stays as if its a vacation and the hospitals even provide them with tourist like activities to do. It is literally why they come to warm climates for treatment. Proton therapy is not as physically taxing as chemo, and even the patient typically goes out quite a bit.

You take a lot of flak on these boards, but off all the debates you've been in, this is not the hill to die on. Jax's forays into "medical tourism" are arguably one of the savviest plays the City and it's leaders have made in recent years. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
You take a lot of flak on these boards, but off all the debates you've been in, this is not the hill to die on

Pretty sure Kerry just said to himself:

Kerry

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »

As someone who used to live next to many UF Proton Therapy patients and has also served as a lobbyist for a cancer center (outside of Jax), I can assure you that none of them are offended by being considered "medical tourists". In fact many of them treat their stays as if its a vacation and the hospitals even provide them with tourist like activities to do. It is literally why they come to warm climates for treatment. Proton therapy is not as physically taxing as chemo, and even the patient typically goes out quite a bit.

You take a lot of flak on these boards, but off all the debates you've been in, this is not the hill to die on. Jax's forays into "medical tourism" are arguably one of the savviest plays the City and it's leaders have made in recent years.

I'm not saying Jax isn't a destination for medical treatment or that we shouldn't do what we can to attract patients and provide their families with distractions from the medical concerns - I just don't care for the term or really the underlying "how we can make money off  all these sick people" mentality.  It just seem morbid to me and "do anything and say anything to make a few dollars". Now granted, I am well aware it is an industry term in wide spread use - heck, the trade group for doctor and hospitals catering to these people is called the Medical Tourism Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/12/us-states-vie-to-lure-medical-tourists-seeking-healthcare-alongside-vacations

Because it’s located in the United States, the most expensive healthcare market in the world, Florida won’t compete for medical tourists – either domestic or international – on price, said Will Seccombe, president and CEO of Visit Florida, the state’s tourism marketing organization. Instead, Florida is playing up its hospitality culture, and famously temperate climes, while also promoting the quality of its medical centers.

The long-term goal, Seccombe said, is to attract “high-yield visitors” to the state –tourists who drop cash not only on medical treatment but also hotel stays, car rentals, Disney World tickets and more.

Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2019, 02:43:31 PM »

I'm not saying Jax isn't a destination for medical treatment or that we shouldn't do what we can to attract patients and provide their families with distractions from the medical concerns - I just don't care for the term or really the underlying "how we can make money off  all these sick people" mentality.  It just seem morbid to me and "do anything and say anything to make a few dollars". Now granted, I am well aware it is an industry term in wide spread use - heck, the trade group for doctor and hospitals catering to these people is called the Medical Tourism Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/12/us-states-vie-to-lure-medical-tourists-seeking-healthcare-alongside-vacations

Because it’s located in the United States, the most expensive healthcare market in the world, Florida won’t compete for medical tourists – either domestic or international – on price, said Will Seccombe, president and CEO of Visit Florida, the state’s tourism marketing organization. Instead, Florida is playing up its hospitality culture, and famously temperate climes, while also promoting the quality of its medical centers.

The long-term goal, Seccombe said, is to attract “high-yield visitors” to the state –tourists who drop cash not only on medical treatment but also hotel stays, car rentals, Disney World tickets and more.

Dude. First of all, if you had a winning lottery ticket I bet I could come to you to criticize everything from the convenience store where you bought the thing to the friendliness of the Lottery official in Tallahassee working with you to wheel your cash out to the car.

Back on topic: I actually see part of your point on terminology but is that really an issue? if a family can enjoy a museum or the beach or a festival downtown while a family member is here for an unfortunate reason, why not cater to those folks and take advantage of it. The city didn’t give someone cancer, but if the city can help make that experience as enjoyable as possible (and yes, someone may make some money off of them) then so be it! So long as no one is getting ripped off and people are treated fairly then take advantage. If a mom and pop restaurant owner can make a little extra money (they have a family too BTW), then why not?

Peter Griffin

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »
You take a lot of flak on these boards, but off all the debates you've been in, this is not the hill to die on

Pretty sure Kerry just said to himself:

and as evidenced by the post immediately following yours, you called it to a T

There's nothing insidious about providing quality medical care that is substantial enough to draw in patients from the surrounding region.
Honestly the way Kerry's talking about this is more inline with some Social Justice type talk, which is a little funny to me

Kerry

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
So can we conclude the following?

Hotel Vacancy Rate:
The 75% rate for Jax is consistent with other regional cities but should primarily be used to compare year over year changes within a specific city instead of as a comparison between cities dues to vast differences in the number of hotel rooms, and what actually is counted as a hotel room.

Medical Tourism:
A medical tourist is any person seeking to combine any medical procedure with a vacation, and as much as I personally dislike the term, it is an industry standard term.  VisitJacksonville should bring their Medical Tourism website up-to-date to recruit patients to Jax.
Third Place

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
You're alright Kerry, and so are you Peter, just the both of you go to a bar, get drunk, get a hotel room, to hell with everything, and when you both wake up the next morning in the same hotel room you can shout at the top of your lungs...…."BOY WAS I DRUNK LAST NIGHT!!! Can't we all just get along? Just playing and kidding. You guys are making good points, but try to cool and calm down; it's not that intensive to choke or tap each other out about. LOL?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:19:46 PM by heights unknown »
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

KenFSU

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
^Legit laughed out loud at this in the middle of a meeting.

Amazing :D

itsfantastic1

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
You're alright Kerry, and so are you Peter, just the both of you go to a bar, get drunk, get a hotel room, to hell with everything, and when you both wake up the next morning in the same hotel room you can shout at the top of your lungs...…."BOY WAS I DRUNK LAST NIGHT!!! Can't we all just get along? Just playing and kidding. You guys are making good points, but try to cool and calm down; it's not that intensive to choke or tap each other out about. LOL?

Kerry

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »
At the end of the day - we all want the same thing, a more vibrant and urban downtown Jacksonville.  We only differ in our opinion of how we get there, what the barriers to success are, and how to remove those barriers.
Third Place