Author Topic: Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market  (Read 2112 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 08:22:20 AM »
It has nothing to go with Jax or a hell of a lot of other places that are just as densely populated and more as the cities on this list. It's likely more to do with CityPass themselves. These are the only cities that's offered in. No Miami, no DC, no Vancouver, no Portland, no Austin, no Montreal....

Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Houston
New York City
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Seattle
Southern California
Tampa Bay
Toronto

https://www.citypass.com/

I've noticed City Pass years ago in Atlanta and have seen it advertised in some of the cities on this list. Despite visiting all of these places several times (excluding Denver), I've never had interest in spending money on it. I've always preferred spending my time exploring the actual cities, their hole in the walls and unique non-touristy places. Every now and then, I'll pay for a specific place on some of their lists, but I'm definitely not blowing my time trying to hit everything on it to get my money's worth out of it. It works for some and it doesn't for others. Just depends on what type of traveler you are and what you're in to. I'm eating breakfast and getting ready to do a free walking tour in Chicago right now. Then I'm going to find me a sports bar and maybe hit the history museum before catching up with some college classmates in the burbs. Skipping CityPass again. I wouldn't hold anything against Jax, Portland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Baltimore, Miami, New Orleans, Mexico City and host of other interesting places that CityPass doesn't offer their services in.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:33:56 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
Sounds like Jax's main problem might be that so many things are free.  Riverwalk, Sally Museum tours, friendship fountain, art walk, arboretum, beaches museum, cummer on tuesday, Moca on art walk.....

That actually might be a bigger problem than you think.  One of the reason Jax has a cultural attraction deficit could be because private non-profit and for-profit groups can't compete with 'free'.  Florida Blue and others provide free admission to Cummer but maybe they should spend that money on delivering higher quality traveling exhibits and then charge us full price to see them.

As it is, anyone paying to go to the Cummer is wasting money.  It is free on a regular basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*College Students with ID enjoy free admission Tuesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Free admission for all, each Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sponsored by Florida Blue.

Free admission for all, each Friday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sponsored by PNC Bank.

Free admission for all the first Saturday of each month, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sponsored by J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver.

Free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders the first full weekend of each month, provided by Museums on Us.

Free admission for military families Armed Forces Day (May 18) through Labor Day, offered though the Blue Star Museum program.

The Cummer gets some pretty damn good exhibits as it is. When I go to the Cummer I usually donate even if it is free. Not sure I'd want to trade free days though. It's also not true that we have a "cultural attraction deficit" for a city of this size, even just looking at this list. Space needle deficit, sure.

You probably need to get out of Jax more often.

I get out of Jax plenty, thanks. You probably need to get to more museums if you find it surprising that some are regularly free.

For a city our size, Jax is holding its own in the culture sphere.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
It has nothing to go with Jax or a hell of a lot of other places that are just as densely populated and more as the cities on this list. It's likely more to do with CityPass themselves. These are the only cities that's offered in. No Miami, no DC, no Vancouver, no Portland, no Austin, no Montreal....

Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Houston
New York City
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Seattle
Southern California
Tampa Bay
Toronto

https://www.citypass.com/

I've noticed City Pass years ago in Atlanta and have seen it advertised in some of the cities on this list. Despite visiting all of these places several times (excluding Denver), I've never had interest in spending money on it. I've always preferred spending my time exploring the actual cities, their hole in the walls and unique non-touristy places. Every now and then, I'll pay for a specific place on some of their lists, but I'm definitely not blowing my time trying to hit everything on it to get my money's worth out of it. It works for some and it doesn't for others. Just depends on what type of traveler you are and what you're in to. I'm eating breakfast and getting ready to do a free walking tour in Chicago right now. Then I'm going to find me a sports bar and maybe hit the history museum before catching up with some college classmates in the burbs. Skipping CityPass again. I wouldn't hold anything against Jax, Portland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Baltimore, Miami, New Orleans, Mexico City and host of other interesting places that CityPass doesn't offer their services in.

+100.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
I think you are maybe taking the term City Pass to literal.  While yes there is a specific brand called City Pass, the concept is just a multi-ticket discount product.  Call it a JaxPass if it makes you happy but the fact remains except for the zoo, MOSH, and the water taxi - everything else is free on a regular basis.
Third Place

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
I think you are maybe taking the term City Pass to literal.  While yes there is a specific brand called City Pass, the concept is just a multi-ticket discount product.  Call it a JaxPass if it makes you happy but the fact remains except for the zoo, MOSH, and the water taxi - everything else is free on a regular basis.

Except for those other 8 things I named.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
That actually might be a bigger problem than you think.  One of the reason Jax has a cultural attraction deficit could be because private non-profit and for-profit groups can't compete with 'free'.  Florida Blue and others provide free admission to Cummer but maybe they should spend that money on delivering higher quality traveling exhibits and then charge us full price to see them.

Free promotes higher attendance, which yields more foundation grants, government grants, and individual donations. Not saying that it's never a problem, but it's not as simple as you state.

As it is, anyone paying to go to the Cummer is wasting money.  It is free on a regular basis.

Lol. I guess you aren't donating to any of these places then.

I don't think citypass owns the rights to the tourist pass concept. Here in Miami there are actually two passes available.

The Sightseeing Pass: https://www.sightseeingpass.com/en/miami
Go Miami Card: https://gocity.com/miami/en-us

I would suspect many of the cities you mentioned also offer a similar type of discount pass. Actually, I just noticed that both of the above mentioned passes are in Washington DC and NOLA as well...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:08:48 PM by ProjectMaximus »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
I guess my point is several cities don't, so I wouldn't necessarily hold it against Jax specifically. We have a lot of things to deal with and overcome and discount passes to a few attractions isn't a major issue, IMO. Especially for a second tier regional city that's more the scale of Grand Rapids than it is the majority of cities mentioned so far.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 08:42:19 PM »
Which will Jax get first - an attraction pass or bike share?
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 08:45:33 PM »
I guess my point is several cities don't, so I wouldn't necessarily hold it against Jax specifically. We have a lot of things to deal with and overcome and discount passes to a few attractions isn't a major issue, IMO. Especially for a second tier regional city that's more the scale of Grand Rapids than it is the majority of cities mentioned so far.

Speaking of Grand Rapids

https://culturepass.experiencegr.com/checkout/142/experience-grand-rapids/471/experience-grand-rapids
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:48:09 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 11:39:53 PM »
Sounds like a great opportunity for you or another budding entrepreneur to put one together for Jax!

Peter Griffin

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
This thread used to be about the o Independent Life building.

Oh how far we've come... city passes and inferiority complexes for everyone!

MusicMan

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
In Jax we could have a "Lenny's Lawns " Tour. If you pay $5 they let you drive on a riding mower and cut a little grass as well.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »
This thread used to be about the o Independent Life building.

Oh how far we've come... city passes and inferiority complexes for everyone!

Adapt or die, Peter.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »
Sounds like a great opportunity for you or another budding entrepreneur to put one together for Jax!

The City already has a CVB that should be doing this kind of thing.  Kind of makes you wonder what they are really doing with their time and money, or of any of them are even qualified for their positions.

https://www.visitjacksonville.com/about/meet-the-team/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:13:31 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »

The 5 years ago comment had me thinking I ran across something old and didn't realize it.  JDR doesn't have a date on their news article.  Luckily WJCT does so this is a new announcement. 

https://news.wjct.org/post/developer-plans-turn-downtown-jax-office-building-apartments-grocery

But as was pointed out, this isn't the first time someone's had grand plans for the building.