Author Topic: Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market  (Read 2113 times)

Kerry

Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market
« on: October 17, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »
I remember when this project was first announced....5 years ago.

But hey....good to have you back! I was wondering if you said, screw this place and moved to OKC permanently! I strangely missed the whole, "Find the negative in holding the winning lottery ticket," viewpoint.

How many Shipyard and Berkman II groups have there been?  If this building is only on its 2nd proposal we have a long way to go.

Kidding aside, it would be nice for something to get done but until we put together a couple of things in a row successfully, I'll remain pessimistic.

We went on vacation for awhile to Seattle and Victoria, BC.  It served as a reminder of how far we have to go.  It is funny though, my wife never gave much thought to walkable urbanism, or the urban lifestyle in general until the last 2 years.  While using our City Pass in Seattle the conversation went like this:

Wife: We should have something like this in Jax.
Me: Good idea, but what attractions would we put on them?
Wife: Ummm.  Okay, never mind.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:41:55 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Challenges and Opportunities for Jax's Tourism Market
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »

1. MOCA Jacksonville.
2. Cummer Museum.
3. Jacksonville Zoo.
4. MOSH.
5. St. Augustine Alligator Farm.
6. Jumbo Shrimp game.
7. Ritz.
8. Catty Shack Ranch.
9. Tour at White Oak Conservation.
10. Maybe a shuttle to a park or two.

That's already more than what you can get for $109 in Tampa Bay.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »

1. MOCA Jacksonville.
2. Cummer Museum.
3. Jacksonville Zoo.
4. MOSH.
6. Jumbo Shrimp game.
7. Ritz.
8. Catty Shack Ranch.

To break that down:

1. MOCA Jacksonville : $8 per adult, $5 for kids.
2. Cummer Museum : $10 per adult, $6 for kids.
3. Jacksonville Zoo : $20 per adult/teenager, $15 for kids.
4. MOSH : $15 per adult, $12 for kids.
5. St. Augustine Alligator Farm : $26 per adult/teenager; $16 for kids.
6. Jumbo Shrimp game : Cheap tickets are $7.
7. Ritz : $8 per adult; $5 per kid.
8. Catty Shack Ranch : $10 per adult, $5 for kids.
9. Tour at White Oak Conservation : $100 per adult; $50 for kids.
10. Maybe a shuttle to a park or two : cost would vary.

Even if you cut it down to 5 or 6 and axed White Oak, say, $50 or $60 would be a good value to see a bunch of cool stuff over the course of a week (or month or whatever it is), with nary a lameass theme park or Ripleys attraction among them. Actually, this is a pretty good idea. Why isn't this a thing?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kiva

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »
We went on vacation for awhile to Seattle and Victoria, BC.  It served as a reminder of how far we have to go.  It is funny though, my wife never gave much thought to walkable urbanism, or the urban lifestyle in general until the last 2 years. 
Seattle obviously has Microsoft and Amazon headquartered there, so have lots of high paying jobs. Victoria, and Vancouver, have recently had a big influx of wealthy Chinese buying homes in the area. Good luck getting Lenny to invite any Chinese here (unless Shad Khan asks him to).
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/douglas-todd-new-immigrants-vancouver-houses-worth-824000-more
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:51:11 PM by Kiva »

Kerry

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:58:01 AM »

1. MOCA Jacksonville.
2. Cummer Museum.
3. Jacksonville Zoo.
4. MOSH.
6. Jumbo Shrimp game.
7. Ritz.
8. Catty Shack Ranch.

To break that down:

1. MOCA Jacksonville : $8 per adult, $5 for kids.
2. Cummer Museum : $10 per adult, $6 for kids.
3. Jacksonville Zoo : $20 per adult/teenager, $15 for kids.
4. MOSH : $15 per adult, $12 for kids.
5. St. Augustine Alligator Farm : $26 per adult/teenager; $16 for kids.
6. Jumbo Shrimp game : Cheap tickets are $7.
7. Ritz : $8 per adult; $5 per kid.
8. Catty Shack Ranch : $10 per adult, $5 for kids.
9. Tour at White Oak Conservation : $100 per adult; $50 for kids.
10. Maybe a shuttle to a park or two : cost would vary.

Even if you cut it down to 5 or 6 and axed White Oak, say, $50 or $60 would be a good value to see a bunch of cool stuff over the course of a week (or month or whatever it is), with nary a lameass theme park or Ripleys attraction among them. Actually, this is a pretty good idea. Why isn't this a thing?

We actually went down the list while talking about it.  Yes - MOCA, MOSH, and the Zoo are doable and probably the water taxi - and honestly, there absolutely should be a single pass for those.  As for the rest, Cummer is free on a regular basis so good luck selling a ticket to something that is available for free.  Jumbo Shrimp games aren't doable for a number of reasons and honestly, no one is coming to Jax to see a Jumbo Shrimp game.  I would exclude anything NOT in Jax since the goal is to increase tourism here, not in St Augustine.

This is what $99 gets you in Seattle

1 Space Needle
2 Seattle Aquarium
3 Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour
4 Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP)   or   Woodland Park Zoo
5 Chihuly Garden and Glass   or   Pacific Science Center

Anyhow, I think I derailed this thread.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:02:09 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:33:52 AM »
I didn't think the Space Needle was that great (Smith Tower is better), and I didn't go to Seattle to see the Chihuly Garden, but i was in the neighborhood so why not.  People probably aren't going to come to Jax for the Jumbo Shrimp, but if you buy the city pass and see that one of the best and highest attended Southern League teams plays here, you may check it out. 

As for our city pass, I'd add the arboretum & beaches history museum too.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 11:29:53 AM »
I didn't think the Space Needle was that great (Smith Tower is better), and I didn't go to Seattle to see the Chihuly Garden, but i was in the neighborhood so why not.  People probably aren't going to come to Jax for the Jumbo Shrimp, but if you buy the city pass and see that one of the best and highest attended Southern League teams plays here, you may check it out. 

As for our city pass, I'd add the arboretum & beaches history museum too.

The problem with the Jumbo Shrimp is that they don't play every day.  You would have people paying for an attraction that is closed far more often than it is open due to the off season, away games, and days off.  To be included in some kind of pass attractions need to be open and available everyday.  The Arboretum and Beaches Museum are free - again, no one is going to buy a City Pass for something that is already free.

As for Chihuly Gardens - lots of people do go there to see it.  It is a major Seattle attraction featured prominently on all Seattle visitor marketing material.
Third Place

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Sounds like Jax's main problem might be that so many things are free.  Riverwalk, Sally Museum tours, friendship fountain, art walk, arboretum, beaches museum, cummer on tuesday, Moca on art walk.....

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
Love the free stuff. DC and St. Louis are two favorite cities of mine because of the large amount of free attractions they have. Here, I'd add Kingsley Plantation and Fort Caroline National Memorial to the list of free quality places worth visiting.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »
Did we just get negged into some good ideas?  ;D

edjax

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
TIAA Bank Field Tours and the Jacksonville Walking Tours.  ( the downtown one and the top to bottom one)

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
Sounds like Jax's main problem might be that so many things are free.  Riverwalk, Sally Museum tours, friendship fountain, art walk, arboretum, beaches museum, cummer on tuesday, Moca on art walk.....

That actually might be a bigger problem than you think.  One of the reason Jax has a cultural attraction deficit could be because private non-profit and for-profit groups can't compete with 'free'.  Florida Blue and others provide free admission to Cummer but maybe they should spend that money on delivering higher quality traveling exhibits and then charge us full price to see them.

As it is, anyone paying to go to the Cummer is wasting money.  It is free on a regular basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*College Students with ID enjoy free admission Tuesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Free admission for all, each Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sponsored by Florida Blue.

Free admission for all, each Friday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sponsored by PNC Bank.

Free admission for all the first Saturday of each month, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sponsored by J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver.

Free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders the first full weekend of each month, provided by Museums on Us.

Free admission for military families Armed Forces Day (May 18) through Labor Day, offered though the Blue Star Museum program.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:29:15 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 05:37:04 PM »

That actually might be a bigger problem than you think.  One of the reason Jax has a cultural attraction deficit could be because private non-profit and for-profit groups can't compete with 'free'.  Florida Blue and others provide free admission to Cummer but maybe they should spend that money on delivering higher quality traveling exhibits and then charge us full price to see them.

As it is, anyone paying to go to the Cummer is wasting money.  It is free on a regular basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*College Students with ID enjoy free admission Tuesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Free admission for all, each Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sponsored by Florida Blue.

Free admission for all the first Saturday of each month, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sponsored by J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver.

Free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders the first full weekend of each month, provided by Museums on Us.

Free admission for military families Armed Forces Day (May 18) through Labor Day, offered though the Blue Star Museum program.

The Cummer gets some pretty damn good exhibits as it is. When I go to the Cummer I usually donate even if it is free. Not sure I'd want to trade free days though. It's also not true that we have a "cultural attraction deficit" for a city of this size, even just looking at this list. Space needle deficit, sure.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »

The Cummer gets some pretty damn good exhibits as it is. When I go to the Cummer I usually donate even if it is free. Not sure I'd want to trade free days though. It's also not true that we have a "cultural attraction deficit" for a city of this size, even just looking at this list. Space needle deficit, sure.

You probably need to get out of Jax more often.
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 04:05:05 AM »
I think the bigger problem is that there are things to do in Jax, but they tend to be spread out over a very large area and there is no real mass transit option to get a tourist from one thing to the next.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”