Author Topic: Carlucci Seeks To Replenish Downtown Preservation Trust  (Read 12409 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Carlucci Seeks To Replenish Downtown Preservation Trust
« on: October 14, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »

City Council member Matt Carlucci has introduced a new bill that would put $1.5 million back into Jacksonville's depleted Downtown Historic Preservation Trust Fund, which has helped restoration projects like the Cowford Chophouse and the Laura Street Trio.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/carlucci-seeks-to-replenish-downtown-preservation-trust/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:55:16 AM by Tacachale »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Carlucci Seeks To Replenish Downtown Preservation Trust
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:18:23 AM »
Excellent idea.
Who woulda thought another city would be jealous of our old-building stock?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
Matt Carlucci has been batting 1000 in my book since taking office.  Hopefully Curry's cronies won't shut this down as retaliation for Carlucci's opposition to previous Curry pet projects. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
Unfortunately, there's been some push back. Not everyone is a fan of more inclusive and equitable participation with downtown economic opportunities. It's important that people let their council representative know that they support replenishing the fund.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 10:12:39 AM »
Excellent idea.

That one surprised me as much as it surprised Matt, but it makes a lot of sense. Charlotte demolished a lot of buildings dating from their days as a much smaller city as their downtown bloomed. But the modern office towers and apartments don't have the character of the old buildings, and in their case like many others, don't have the streetfront retail and integration that historic buildings do. Jacksonville has lost a lot of old buildings, but partly because we haven't had new construction in nearly 20 years, there's more left than there is in some places. It also means it's especially important to save what's left, since they're the only way for new businesses to open up in the downtown core right now.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Matt Carlucci has been batting 1000 in my book since taking office.  Hopefully Curry's cronies won't shut this down as retaliation for Carlucci's opposition to previous Curry pet projects. 

Carlucci is in a great position to stand up for what he believes. He has a TON of name recognition, doesn't appear to have eyes on a higher - state or federal - office (though perhaps he gives Mayor another go in 4 years - pure speculation and nothing factual to back that up), is well liked due to his resume up to this point, and is happy to cross the aisle if he believes it's the right thing to do.

The problem is....not many on the council are that way it doesn't appear. My fear is on things like this, much of the council will roll over to what Curry wants. Carlucci won't...but he's one vote. Hopefully he can cast some influence there.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
Excellent idea.

That one surprised me as much as it surprised Matt, but it makes a lot of sense.

I'm not. From my travels, it's clear as day what is unique to Jax and what its assets are. We're overdue in acknowledging what makes us special and working to preserve what's left of our cultural identity and unique sense of place. All the town centers and Lot Js of the world aren't going to make you out Orlando..Orlando, Charlotte...Charlotte or Miami...Miami, etc. However, being the best Jax is something no other place can replicate.

vicupstate

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »
Excellent idea.

That one surprised me as much as it surprised Matt, but it makes a lot of sense.

I'm not. From my travels, it's clear as day what is unique to Jax and what its assets are. We're overdue in acknowledging what makes us special and working to preserve what's left of our cultural identity and unique sense of place. All the town centers and Lot Js of the world aren't going to make you out Orlando..Orlando, Charlotte...Charlotte or Miami...Miami, etc. However, being the best Jax is something no other place can replicate.

Me either. Never ceases to amaze me how little recognition there is of JAX's assets, particularly the older building stock. As someone that has lived within 100 miles of Charlotte for essentially my whole life, they absolutely regret losing the streetfronts and older buildings.  I've heard that comment many, many times from officials there. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »
Good for Carlucci.

Amazing how, for all the big talk from the city about their focus on downtown redevelopment, the Downtown Preservation Trust (and to a lesser extent the Retail Enhancement Program) continues to get nickel and dimed.

A $60 million cash grant to Iguana for just agreeing to start on Lot J, and we're haggling about $1.5 million in the DPT.

Has any single investment/fund ROI'd for downtown as much as the Preservation Trust in the last 20 years?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
Excellent idea.

Me either. Never ceases to amaze me how little recognition there is of JAX's assets, particularly the older building stock. As someone that has lived within 100 miles of Charlotte for essentially my whole life, they absolutely regret losing the streetfronts and older buildings.  I've heard that comment many, many times from officials there.

I'll put it this way: it surprised me that Downtown Jax's historic building fabric was noticed by those in other cities, especially one that's so far ahead of ours in other ways.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
^It's because anyone can build a new structure. However, no one can recreate the things that were built with a different level of craftsmanship and quality of material a century ago. The same thing that makes a Riverside, San Marco or Springfield so special that can't be replicated in Oakleaf or Nocatee is the same thing Jax has with its downtown.