Author Topic: Old Ind Life Bldg ---> luxury condos + grocery store?  (Read 6884 times)

aubureck

Re: Old Ind Life Bldg ---> luxury condos + grocery store?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 06:25:10 AM »
Do you have any idea why Vestcor pulled out?  Are they over committed with all of their other ongoing urban core projects at the moment?

Sounds all like promising things.  I can't wait to see active construction on these sites and hope this current uncertainty doesn't derail the project.
The Urban Planner

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 08:13:35 AM »
Vestcor was unsuccessful in getting the subsidies it recieved for other projects recently completed in LaVilla and under construction in Brooklyn. At this point, I don't know the status of their townhouse project in LaVilla, the Cathedral District and Murray Hill projects and if they are seeking subsidies for them.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

aubureck

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 07:24:07 AM »
That makes sense but also shows the difficulty of always relying on subsidies.  I guess that's the difficulty with affordable housing.  I'm not sure that I've seen an affordable housing project that did not include some level of subsidies.  I do hope that the Lavilla project is able to move forward.  Downtown needs more for sale housing and, of course, more activity in Lavilla.
The Urban Planner

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »
That's basically their business model. Getting federal tax credits and incentives to build affordable housing in different markets. So it's not a reflection on downtown Jax specifically. They got incentives for the LaVilla townhouse project as well, in the form of three full city blocks basically for free in order to do "market rate" housing. Hopefully, they'll break ground soon but I'm sure coronavirus could delay things a bit with the city literally shutting down.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 09:00:33 AM »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »
Great news. I remember as a kid in the mid-60's, always gazing at all of the neon signs on the buildings back then; but the one that stuck out was this building. That stem coming up at the top had a flourescent light in it that flashed solid, and then blinked incessantly and rapidly, then solid again, and then blinked again from the bottom to the top; I hope they find a way to get it working again. I'm going to try to find that online if available. But super news about this historic buildling.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »
I imagine it'd be LED this time like the Maxwell Coffee sign, it does sound cool though.

But yeah, let's get this done. Augustine Development and JWB aren't getting enough credit for the work they're doing downtown.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

vicupstate

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »

But yeah, let's get this done. Augustine Development and JWB aren't getting enough credit for the work they're doing downtown.

Agreed. If we spent $10 million or maybe $20 million on 2 waying streets, and improving the esthetics of the Northbank generally, we would get a lot more investment from them and others that would follow them.  Far more than anything that is going to happen at Lot J and for a tiny fraction of the cost.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
^This is why I can't take "the Jags are the only ones trying to do anything downtown" sentiment seriously. What could groups like Augustine Development and JWB do if 50% of their development costs were publicly funded? My guess, is a hell of a lot more than they're already doing. Set aside $200 million in public funding to assist projects like these and you'll have a revitalized Northbank prior to the first guest being able to order a plate of chicken wings at Lot J in 2028. This doesn't mean I'm saying don't do Lot J. But it does mean that I believe the narrative should change towards it and other projects in downtown.