Author Topic: Friendship Fountain not functioning...again??  (Read 7908 times)

sandyshoes

Friendship Fountain not functioning...again??
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
Just read on another downtown thread that FF is not working again.  Is that fountain cursed?  I know Jacksonville has hard water, but should the pumps keep failing after only a few short years?  Seems once we get about 3 years in following a rebuild or repair there's a problem. 

Ken_FSU

Re: Friendship Fountain not functioning...again??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
Expect to see the entire surrounding park closed sooner than later as well.

$4.2 million has been allocated in next year's budget to repair and significantly alter the fountain (water will come over the edges of the fountain into a new shorter pool surrounding it, and misters will also be added), as well as to restore all of the electronics, lighting, audio, etc.

From a different fund, there are plans to set up a projection system to display animated shows hourly at night directly onto mist-screens shooting from the fountain, in conjunction with light shows at the the Times-Union Center as part of Lori Boyer's nodes thing. Not sure on the timeframe for this, or if it ultimately ends up happening, but funding has been identified.

Concurrenty, $2.55 million has been allocated to upgrade the park surrounding Friendship Fountain, including a concession area (also being added at the Times-Union Center), public restrooms, and potentially a playground/splash pad area.

I've heard the city wants the entire project done by Florida-Georgia next year, though that sounds pretty aggressive.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
Sounds nice

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:16 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 11:40:33 AM »
Bwahahaha... they cannot even maintain the 7 year old renovated one.  Who actually believes this would last more than two years before falling into disrepair like the last renovation... :o ::) :-[
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

acme54321

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »
Bwahahaha... they cannot even maintain the 7 year old renovated one.  Who actually believes this would last more than two years before falling into disrepair like the last renovation... :o ::) :-[

Such a joke.  After the last renovation it wasn't a year before there were maintenance issues.  The riverwalk is a mess too.  Half of the lights don't work and haven't for some time now.

Bativac

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:53 PM »

Such a joke.  After the last renovation it wasn't a year before there were maintenance issues.  The riverwalk is a mess too.  Half of the lights don't work and haven't for some time now.

I was visiting recently and was shocked at the disrepair at the Riverwalk since when I moved in 2016 it was pristine. I was there at the end of September and there was construction lighting set up. A friend of mine who lives in Murray Hill said the construction lights had been there for months since some light fixtures were damaged in a storm. That was their solution.

Noticed lots of the lighting set into the riverwalk itself was full of moisture and I would say 2/3 of them just weren't working and a few others were flickering quite a bit.

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 09:15:42 AM »
With a $1.3 billion City budget it makes you wonder the money goes.  We know it isn't going to keep the public realm in working order.
Third Place

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »

I was visiting recently and was shocked at the disrepair at the Riverwalk since when I moved in 2016 it was pristine. I was there at the end of September and there was construction lighting set up. A friend of mine who lives in Murray Hill said the construction lights had been there for months since some light fixtures were damaged in a storm. That was their solution.

Noticed lots of the lighting set into the riverwalk itself was full of moisture and I would say 2/3 of them just weren't working and a few others were flickering quite a bit.

The City's Parks Dept fixed many of the lamp-post LED lights over Florida-Georgia weekend. The uplighting is still not functioning, but my understanding is that those are next on the punch list.

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »

The City's Parks Dept fixed many of the lamp-post LED lights over Florida-Georgia weekend. The uplighting is still not functioning, but my understanding is that those are next on the punch list.

That's what they told me a year ago when I first inquired too.

jaxjags

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »
The city needs to step up its game with respect to infrastructure, and not just DT. Sidewalks, drainage systems, roadways, ect need better maintenance and in some cases capital upgrades. Why does the Mayor, his administration and City Council not understand this. I think I am back to my old argument that raising taxes is not a bad thing if we can improve the services to its citizens. Too many politicians just ant to say "taxes never went up when I was in charge".

acme54321

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »
The city needs to step up its game with respect to infrastructure, and not just DT. Sidewalks, drainage systems, roadways, ect need better maintenance and in some cases capital upgrades. Why does the Mayor, his administration and City Council not understand this. I think I am back to my old argument that raising taxes is not a bad thing if we can improve the services to its citizens. Too many politicians just ant to say "taxes never went up when I was in charge".

It's not just the sentiment of the mayor.  They have a lot of constituents that honestly don't care and scream if anyone mentions raising taxes.  Now, it would be a good Mayor's job to communicate to the people why a tax raise is needed and what they are getting out of it but I don't see that happening.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:45:53 PM by acme54321 »

jaxjags

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
Could also be a little bit of a "credibility issue" with the Mayors office when the see Lamping talking about more stadium upgrades on top of the Lot J subsidies. I am not against having an NFL team, but there comes a point where we need to look if those dollars could be better used to improve infrastructure city wide.