Author Topic: Redevelopment for old JEA Building beginning January 2020?  (Read 668 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Redevelopment for old JEA Building beginning January 2020?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
Interesting. Good luck to them. Are they still working on the Ambassador? I know they did some interior demo a few months ago but last time I went by there, it didn't appear anything else has been done.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
This is quite a large commitment on their part. Getting and keeping open a grocer will be a big lift, IMO. Did they get incentives for the Ambassador?  I wonder if they will seek them for the Old Independent Life project?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
I'd be overjoyed to see this building come back online and to have a rooftop restaurant downtown.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Ken_FSU

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:19 AM »
Are they still working on the Ambassador? I know they did some interior demo a few months ago but last time I went by there, it didn't appear anything else has been done.

Construction fences came down about a month and a half ago. I haven't seen anyone on site since.

Did they get incentives for the Ambassador?  I wonder if they will seek them for the Old Independent Life project?

$1.5 million grant from the Downtown Historic Preservation and Revitalization Trust Fund for the restoration of the existing building. $4.9 million tax rebate for the 200-unit Vestcor apartment complex.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
I'd be overjoyed to see this building come back online and to have a rooftop restaurant downtown.

Having spent some time in the building, in a former life, the view from the former board room is nice.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
I'd be surpised if they can land a national chain. That location, space and surrounding demographics don't meet the site selection criteria for most. But hat's off to them if they can get started and complete renovation of the building in general.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »
If this works out well, maybe they move on to renovate the current JEA/former Charter & Universal Marion building.

The way things are going with JEA, in a few years, they can complete the JEA building hat trick by taking on the new JEA HQ's being built when all their admin offices get moved to FPL HQ's in south Florida  8).