Author Topic: Visit Jacksonville take note  (Read 12049 times)

Bill Hoff

Visit Jacksonville take note
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
This is the first relatively good tourism pitch/theme/slogan I've heard for Jacksonville in quite a long time. 1000x better than "It's easier here" or whatever came before.

https://www.jacksonville.com/opinion/20190929/guest-column-jacksonville-should-embrace-its-size-and-diversity

Guest column: Jacksonville should embrace its size and diversity

I cannot tell you how many meetings and focus groups and community gatherings and presentations I have attended over the last 25-plus years about who we are as a city.

We’re a military town, we’re a business center, we’re the logistics capital, we’re the home of great music, great history, the film industry, the first European settlers (the French). Some of these are facts, some opinions. And few can agree on what is THE most important.

Maybe our problem is that we keep trying to figure out our one thing. And there lies the challenge: we aren’t just one thing. We are a lot of things. And maybe THAT should be our one thing.

What IS one thing that we uniquely own? The one thing no other city in the continental U.S. can claim?

We’re big. And as they say, size matters.

The one thing anyone who grew up here can tell you, is that at 874.3 square miles, we are the BIGGEST city land-wise in the continental United States. It’s a fact. And we are the only city that can claim it. So let’s make that our thing.

Jacksonville: We’re Big.

We’re Big on Beaches.

We’re Big on Military.

We’re Big on Arts. And music.

We’re Big on Sports.

We’re Big on Business.

We’re Big on Nature.

And we’re Big on food, like shrimp, and crab boils, and bbq and candy.

We’re Big on families and faith and fireworks and fun. And we’re Big on YOU (fill in the name of the great thing looking to relocate here).

And there are a few things we’re big on that aren’t so great. But we’re working on those.

The list of good things though is endless, and it can fit as a recurring theme for just about anything. “Jacksonville: 874 Square Miles of (anything you want except snow skiing).”

Maybe as a consolidated city, with residents from around the world and a culture trying to compete with bigger areas, that our one thing is our many things, will work.

We ARE big, so let’s own it. Yeah, it can take 45 minutes to drive across town.

But what else would you expect in the biggest city in the country? And where else can you go from horseback riding to the symphony to surfing to golf or an air show and a hundred other things all in the same town?

Jacksonville: Even our name is big.

Take that Miami.

There’s a lot of big ideas out there.

What’s yours?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:22:46 AM by Bill Hoff »

MusicMan

Re: Visit Jacksonville take note
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »
YES!

Michelle is part of the Jacksonville Symphony management, as am I . I'm the musician rep on the Marketing Committee.  We broke all ticket revenue records last year, over $3,100,000 in sales.  She was also at the Opening Night 'Fanfare' concert (last night) which featured Jacksonville's native son and Jazz Pianist Marcus Roberts with his trio performing Marcus' version of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue."

It was a spectacular opening night.  Marcus' improvisations on the Gershwin were extraordinary.

If you love Jacksonville and want to celebrate one of the best things this city has going then buy some Symphony Tickets. They start at $19 for the upper balcony, which by the way is a great place to sit. It sounds amazing up there, but not too loud.  There are events for every member of the family, just go to the website and shop around, you won't be disappointed. Last night celebrated 70 YEARS since the first Jacksonville Symphony Season. This year the orchestra will participate in the "SHIFT" FESTIVAL AT THE KENNEDY CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS. The only Florida orchestra to ever be a part of this festival! IT'S YOUR ORCHESTRA FOLKS. GO ENJOY IT!

jaxsymphony.org

CityLife

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
People don’t care about municipal boundaries. What people consider to be “Miami” isn’t just the city of Miami proper.  Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Aventura, Miami Gardens, and so on is “Miami”. People at Disney don’t say, “actually, we aren’t in Orlando, this is the Reedy Creek Improvement District”.

Anchorage, Alaska has more than double Jax’s land mass and isn’t out there touting the size of its municipal boundaries. It touts itself as a gateway to outdoor activities. You have to actually brand yourself based on what makes you interesting and unique. Having large municipal boundaries is not even mildly interesting to people outside of Jax.

Jacksonville’s branding/tourism slogan is pretty easy. “Where the South Meets Florida” should be the essence of it. Charm and friendliness of the south, with some of the weather and amenities of Florida.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
People don’t care about municipal boundaries. What people consider to be “Miami” isn’t just the city of Miami proper.  Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Aventura, Miami Gardens, and so on is “Miami”. People at Disney don’t say, “actually, we aren’t in Orlando, this is the Reedy Creek Improvement District”.

Anchorage, Alaska has more than double Jax’s land mass and isn’t out there touting the size of its municipal boundaries. It touts itself as a gateway to outdoor activities. You have to actually brand yourself based on what makes you interesting and unique. Having large municipal boundaries is not even mildly interesting to people outside of Jax.

Jacksonville’s branding/tourism slogan is pretty easy. “Where the South Meets Florida” should be the essence of it. Charm and friendliness of the south, with some of the weather and amenities of Florida.

I like your slogan but think you missed the mark on what they were trying to express. Would you say the same about boundaries in regards to Texas and the phrase "Everything's bigger in Texas"? What about NYC and "The Big Apple"? For some reason, in American society; bigger has always meant better. This columnist is just trying to connect us with that word "Big" in a meaningful way, by using our land size and tying that "Bigness" to our other aspects (Beaches, Military, Art, etc.)

CityLife

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
I do get what she was going for, but Jacksonville is not actually “big” in any of those areas relative to peer cities, other than Military.

If you are going to play on the “Big”angle, it should be something related to Jax still having some small town charm/character despite its large land size. Or the idea that there are many different versions of  “Jacksonville’” within its large boundaries.

It’s a good conversation starter and anything beats the “It’s easier here” approach, but still needs some refining, imo.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
The "big" theme is basically short for "we have a lot of great things you probably like" vs focusing on one particular thing/aspect. It's an opportunity to include all the good stuff. Including some small town charm.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
I get she's saying but I also can see CityLife's point as well. The only thing "big" is land area (a technicality of the city and county government being the same). In reality, every place of decent size has a lot of great things people can do vs focusing on one particular thing/aspect. The average person could care less that Downtown Miami, Miracle Mile and South Beach are within three different municipalities in Miami-Dade County. I have no solid answers for what Jax should be called or marketed as. However, I do think if things were a bit more inclusive and equitable from an economic development, marketing and preservation perspective locally, areas of focus and opportunity would naturally materialize over time.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 02:53:41 PM »
I know it gets made fun of a lot, but I actually rather like "It's easier here"...I think it says something about how Jacksonville is more laid-back and has (for good and bad) a small town feel and outdoor relaxation opportunities, relative to many other larger or similarly sized cities.

I like the "where the South meets Florida" concept too, although in a way Tallahassee already hijacked that with its "Florida with a southern accent" campaign years ago.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

vicupstate

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
I like the "where the South meets Florida" concept too, although in a way Tallahassee already hijacked that with its "Florida with a southern accent" campaign years ago.

That would have worked just as well for JAX.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln