Author Topic: Watch NFL in Jax?  (Read 1115 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
Watch NFL in Jax?
« on: September 24, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
Due to some Bad Sitcom level circumstances, we may need a good option to watch the 2nd half of Pats/ 1st half of Jags games this Sunday. The challenge is that it has to be reasonably close(urban core), and can’t be too popular due to our arrival time.We need to be confident of getting a good seat. And, the biggest challenge is our admitted snob level as we are used to high end sports bars when we travel. In Jax, Think Ruth’s bar if it was open earlier.

Any ideas?  Our main concern is comfortable seating for 3+ hours and good food. Note, think of it as helping a place you like as we tend to spend stupid amounts on expensive wine/champagne and if we are not the best tippers in Jax, we are damn close.

Wacca Pilatka

Re: Watch NFL in Jax?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 02:02:17 PM »
I would think Strings in Springfield would be a good option.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
For college and NFL football games, I like Mellow Mushroom in Avondale (particularly the couch seating area), rooftop at Burrito Gallery in Brooklyn when the weather is nice, and Strings Sports Brewery and Crispy's- both in Springfield.

The other fail safe for Jags away games is Dos Gatos Downtown. For Jags away games, they open early, regulars bring pot luck, and Joy/Jay typically have community pizza from Casa Dora across the street. In addition to cheap cans of Tecate, guests also enjoy free shots whenever the Jags score... and the cocktails are already the best in the city.

Those may not be up to snuff to your admittedly bougie standards of seeking a Ruth's Chris-like sports bar... but listed those as a reference for the rest of us commoners.

Sounds like you are looking for either Black Sheep, or the new Tavern inside the Hyatt Downtown.  Neither are 'sports bars', but both have a couple tv's at the bar, comfortable high tops, expensive wines and top shelf spirits, and food above typical sports bar fare.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:44:29 PM by fieldafm »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
For college and NFL football games, I like Mellow Mushroom in Avondale (particularly the couch seating area), rooftop at Burrito Gallery in Brooklyn when the weather is nice, and Strings Sports Brewery and Crispy's- both in Springfield.

The other fail safe for Jags away games is Dos Gatos Downtown. For Jags away games, they open early, regulars bring pot luck, and Joy/Jay typically have community pizza from Casa Dora across the street. In addition to cheap cans of Tecate, guests also enjoy free shots whenever the Jags score... and the cocktails are already the best in the city.

Those may not be up to snuff to your admittedly bougie standards of seeking a Ruth's Chris-like sports bar... but listed those as a reference for the rest of us commoners.

Sounds like you are looking for either Black Sheep, or the new Tavern inside the Hyatt Downtown.  Neither are 'sports bars', but both have a couple tv's at the bar, comfortable high tops, expensive wines and top shelf spirits, and food above typical sports bar fare.

I think you nailed it on our standards. Thanks for the Tavern idea as that might work. For some reason I never even thought of the Hyatt. A little concerned about the quality of tv watching but I can walk over there tomorrow and do some reconnaissance.

Because the the Jags game starts at 4:25 which I just realized, My only other plan is to drive to the doubletree and watch the second half of the Pats game at some restaurant  lounge I have never heard of that opens at 3 and then move to Ruth’s Bar at open time of 4:30. I will recon that lounge on the way to the Hyatt.

The commoners have it so easy!

edjax

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »
Perhaps the J Bar at the Omni.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
Why doesn't Good Dough have Sunday Ticket??

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »

This is a guy that gets it.

Nice website by the way. As a graduate of the fire movement, I really like the story.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 10:44:10 AM »
Since I know people care deeply about my predicament, I did some bougie recon this morning. The Hyatt tavern looks pretty good and can switch to Morton’s bar if necessary at 4. They also have big screens on their patio so that is an option but with construction, that may be a little rough. I was told getting seats should be no problem.

I hit the doubletree and per an employee, the lobby bar is open all day despite what web site indicated. Thus we could handle that for the end of the Pats game and then be able to get to Ruth’s bar( much better post remodel) early to secure primo spot for Jags.

I think we may survive our ordeal.

Kiva

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 05:13:05 PM »
If you are willing to try something different (definitely not the Hyatt!) the new Lemon Street Brewing Co. is open, and has craft beer, wine, and big screen TVs for sports. Definitely more down market than San Marco, but you have to live a little! Railyard district is not far from San Marco. https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/09/25/new-brewery-hits-jacksonvilles-railyard-district.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline  ;D

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »
Since I know people care deeply about my predicament, I did some bougie recon this morning. The Hyatt tavern looks pretty good and can switch to Morton’s bar if necessary at 4. They also have big screens on their patio so that is an option but with construction, that may be a little rough. I was told getting seats should be no problem.

I hit the doubletree and per an employee, the lobby bar is open all day despite what web site indicated. Thus we could handle that for the end of the Pats game and then be able to get to Ruth’s bar( much better post remodel) early to secure primo spot for Jags.

I think we may survive our ordeal.

The patio is not terribly 'scenic' at the moment with the multiple years-long Coastline Drive rebuild (with no end in sight), but the construction crews are not working on Sundays.  They don't seem to work very hard Monday through Friday (and some rare Saturdays from what I can tell), but that's a different story.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:26:22 PM by fieldafm »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
If you are willing to try something different (definitely not the Hyatt!) the new Lemon Street Brewing Co. is open, and has craft beer, wine, and big screen TVs for sports. Definitely more down market than San Marco, but you have to live a little! Railyard district is not far from San Marco. https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/09/25/new-brewery-hits-jacksonvilles-railyard-district.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline  ;D

The 78th brewery to open in Jax is different? I kid. I kid. I am happy to see that breweries are so popular in Jax.. especially in areas that could use a boost. It just isn’t our thing.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »

This is a guy that gets it.

Nice website by the way. As a graduate of the fire movement, I really like the story.

Thanks! I just published the site last week and added it to my sig a few days ago. You are very observant for a Patriots fan.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 04:50:33 PM »

The 78th brewery to open in Jax is different? I kid. I kid. I am happy to see that breweries are so popular in Jax.. especially in areas that could use a boost. It just isn’t our thing.
This one makes lagers. There may be only one or two others locally that do this.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
I know everyone has been dying for the results of my terribly inconvenient Football situation. Due to timing and proximity to our house, we kept it simple. Went to Doubletree and caught the end of the Pats game at the lobby bar. The DT appeared dead so it was fine as we had comfortable chairs and the best TV. Didn’t really care about anything else for that first hour. Wish there had been more Pats haters as their tears are always great. We then were first at the Ruth’s bar for Jags which was pretty dead at open which was good as there are limited good options for the best tv viewing. High marks for viewing,comfort, and some nice HH food options for the price.Fyi,  No real values on drinks  but it’s Ruth’s. It did fill up so I expect if the hotel hadn’t been so dead, might have had to get there before open.