Author Topic: Orlando Unveils Under I Project  (Read 1705 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Orlando Unveils Under I Project
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »

Who says the widening of an interstate through the heart of a community has to be viewed as a negative? Orlando's proposed 9.75-acre Under I project sets the precedent on what can be achieved when a local municipality coordinates with the Florida Department of Transportation.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/orlando-unveils-under-i-project/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

wanderson91

Re: Orlando Unveils Under I Project
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »
This is very, very cool!!

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
Maybe with a little more creativity in Jax, something like this could have been done for under the Hart Bridge ramps.  But, hey, creative solutions are not the Jax way.  Bulldozers are.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »
Maybe with a little more creativity in Jax, something like this could have been done for under the Hart Bridge ramps.  But, hey, creative solutions are not the Jax way.  Bulldozers are.

We have RAM/riverwalk parking, which is being expanded along with the Fuller Warren Bridge expansion. We're also getting a pedestrian link between Riverside and San Marco with that project.

Corkscrew park beneath the Acosta is a great little use of space and complements the active lifestyle the riverwalk helps to support. We've got some nice amenities under our bridges, too.

Keep in mind the hart bridge is only 4 lanes wide, doesn't provide nearly the cover this project does. I-4 thru DT Orlando is MASSIVE. It's not really comparable in my opinion.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »
I think the link is what can possibly happen when there's early coordination with FDOT. Under I is representative of a multimodal project that we typically would never imagine being possible with roadway construction. That space (formerly a parking lot like the RAM lot on weekdays) will be more lively than anything we do that will replace the Landing, despite being under a bridge instead of on the river..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:41:32 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
Keep in mind the hart bridge is only 4 lanes wide, doesn't provide nearly the cover this project does. I-4 thru DT Orlando is MASSIVE. It's not really comparable in my opinion.

Points noted but this would never happen in Jax on this scale in today's world.  I would think the land under the Overland Bridge would be more comparable sans the railroad section.  How is that being used?

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »

Points noted but this would never happen in Jax on this scale in today's world.  I would think the land under the Overland Bridge would be more comparable sans the railroad section.  How is that being used?

There is a massive areas between Kings and Montana that's just bare dirt.  Over by Baptists there is Parking between San Marco and Palm ave, west of that has been a construction staging area for years.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 06:21:21 AM »

Doubt Jax would even ask. Overland Bridge is comparable. Part of it is used for parking. The other....nothing.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 07:12:02 AM »
the project is not even scheduled for construction and this forum is already hailing it as yet another failure by exclusion for Jax

I really can't stand the ever present negativity and self-bashing on this forum

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
Don't take it as bashing. Take it as an opportunity and a precedent for future better projects.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »
the project is not even scheduled for construction and this forum is already hailing it as yet another failure by exclusion for Jax

No one hates the negativity and inferiority complex more than me. This isn't that. It's simply pointing out something a peer community has done that we could do just as well or better if we put our mind to it. There are *plenty* of things we do right that Orlando will never compete with.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Peter Griffin

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 09:18:05 AM »

No one hates the negativity and inferiority complex more than me. This isn't that. It's simply pointing out something a peer community has done that we could do just as well or better if we put our mind to it. There are *plenty* of things we do right that Orlando will never compete with.

Don't get me wrong, I like the article and don't take the article as self-bashing. I actually like the article and think it does show a nice example of better use of space that is typically underutilized. It's the forum posts in response to articles like this that get me.

Maybe my real problem is that I've heard way too damn much about how wonderful OKC is and it's gotten under my skin...

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I like the article and don't take the article as self-bashing. I actually like the article and think it does show a nice example of better use of space that is typically underutilized. It's the forum posts in response to articles like this that get me.

Maybe my real problem is that I've heard way too damn much about how wonderful OKC is and it's gotten under my skin...

Don't worry too much about that. That's literally one guy. It's certainly not reflective of the consensus of the forum or Jax in general. OKC has some great stuff going on but so do we.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
Between Montana and King's Ave is about 1,000 feet long and 300 feet wide.  Would be a great space for a skate park, dog park, shaded jogging loop, turf field, volleyball courts, etc....

As that area grows denser, there will be less room for public spaces.  This is about 8 acres of park space not being used.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
I'd rather wait and see how this works for Orlando.  Playing tennis under a noisy freeway bridge may not be something anyone really wants to do in the end.

It may not be practical given how we're at sea level downtown.  But in the long run we'd probably be better served sinking the freeways and capping them a la Columbus.