Author Topic: First Baptist to Downsize Downtown Campus  (Read 3282 times)

Charles Hunter

First Baptist to Downsize Downtown Campus
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
From the Daily Record
First Baptist Church Jacksonville is downsizing its 10-block Downtown presence.

Senior Pastor Heath Lambert said Sunday the church will move its ministry into one city block and reduce its real estate holdings.

Church leaders proposed a $30 million plan to move its ministry into a 182,000-square-foot facility bounded by Church, Hogan, Laura and Ashley streets.

FBS opened its 20,919-square-foot First Baptist Church South Campus this year as Jacksonville's population center continues to move south. The construction cost was almost $5.8 million.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/first-baptist-church-to-downsize-its-downtown-campus

Kiva

Re: First Baptist to Downsize Downtown Campus
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
Wow! That could eventually open up a lot of downtown for redevelopment.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
Our instagram users are providing their thoughts for redevelopment: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2KTbrAh1Pv/

Personally, I've been waiting for this day for a while now. Seems like a huge opportunity for the Northbank and anyone interested in the inclusive and equitable revitalization of the urban core. This could be a win-win for DT Jax and FBC's financial stability.

Personally, I'd love to see FSCJ (or another institution of higher learning) take advantage of some of their parking decks, auditoriums and classroom buildings. In the case of FSCJ, those parking decks could mean that huge surface lot off Laura Street could then become potential infill building sites, strengthening the connection between DT and Springfield.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:24:36 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
This is huge!

Assuming a competent municipal government (oh dear…), this could be a massive boon for the city as a whole, given the enormous potential of so much square footage.

Between the spaces that could be transformed into apartments, offices, entertainment venues, and who knows what else (plus already existing parking for all of it), this could dwarf Lot J at a fraction of the cost.

But then again, Lenny Curry is mayor, so we could have 9 new grass lots in 5 years.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »
If anyone here wins the lottery tomorrow, this could be one hell of a bet to spend it on.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
But then again, Lenny Curry is mayor, so we could have 9 new grass lots in 5 years.

Let Lenny keep his focus on TIAA Bank Field. Things will work out better allowing the market to play out instead of those guys mucking everything up.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
Church leaders proposed a $30 million plan to move its ministry into a 182,000-square-foot facility bounded by Church, Hogan, Laura and Ashley streets.

The church is spending $5 million per year on the maintenance of its more than 1.5 million-square-foot Downtown complex. That is 37% of First Baptist Church’s total operating budget.

Deferred maintenance is even greater, he said.

The church’s total maintenance need is $7 million per year, or 57% of its budget, and the entire 10-block complex has deferred maintenance needs of $37 million.

Good lord, look at the math here. 1.3 million square feet could be up for grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if $200 million (I wonder what else the city would spend that kind of money on…) could buy you an up to date, 9-block multi-use complex with ample parking. Also, I'm pretty surprised that FBC's entire operating budget is less than $15 million. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a development opportunity.

Lake, I think a really cool post would be to examine each building (apart from the block they're keeping) and listing some potential uses, plus the types of businesses and organizations in town who might be interested in buying each of these sites.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
Thanks for the idea! Was planning to get building picks right after the Jags game.

Kiva

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »
Our instagram users are providing their thoughts for redevelopment: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2KTbrAh1Pv/

Personally, I've been waiting for this day for a while now. Seems like a huge opportunity for the Northbank and anyone interested in the inclusive and equitable revitalization of the urban core. This could be a win-win for DT Jax and FBC's financial stability.

Personally, I'd love to see FSCJ (or another institution of higher learning) take advantage of some of their parking decks, auditoriums and classroom buildings. In the case of FSCJ, those parking decks could mean that huge surface lot off Laura Street could then become potential infill building sites, strengthening the connection between DT and Springfield.
FSCJ just got a new president. I have no idea about his thoughts about downtown revitalization, but it couldn't hurt to approach him with these ideas. If I was new to the city I would be open to it!
https://www.fscj.edu/discover/governance-administration/college-president

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »
^They have a 5-year master plan online but it keeps them north of State & Union:

https://www.fscj.edu/docs/default-source/discover/facilities-board/downtown-campus/board-downtown.pdf?sfvrsn=2

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/fscjs-master-plan-for-downtown/

I wonder if it would make financial sense for them to acquire FBC existing facilities a block south of State and Union as opposed to building new?

itsfantastic1

marcuscnelson

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 07:07:57 PM »
There's a new website about the project:

https://www.fbcjax.com/thestorycontinues

I found this blurb about their "Predicament" interesting:

First Baptist Church is located in downtown Jacksonville, far away from the thriving areas of growth.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »
That proposed main entrance looks tacky. Keep the existing historic 6-story building.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »
I wonder if theyl will be feeding the homeless at their new location as well.
Third Place

Bill Hoff

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
I wonder if theyl will be feeding the homeless at their new location as well.

Hopefully not. There's plenty of food available in Duval for the homeless, especially so Downtown.