Author Topic: Two developers working on plans for former Beach Boulevard Kmart property  (Read 2990 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Kind of crazy to see how the private sector can retrofit a long closed K-mart, but COJ can't open that door to the private sector for the Landing. Anyway, Boulevard Crossing is shaping up to be a good infill, adaptive reuse development.

Northwest Beach and University boulevards is slated for more redevelopment as a South Daytona investor envisions turning the closed Kmart into self-storage, a warehouse showroom, a food store and retail space for lease.

Buyer John Hinton intends to open one of his John’s Appliance & Bedding superstores there, too.

Hinton bought the 7.2-acre former Kmart building and site at 5751 Beach Blvd., where the store parking lot is under redevelopment as Boulevard Crossing by Jacksonville-based Hallmark Partners.

Full Article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/two-developers-working-on-plans-for-former-beach-boulevard-kmart-property
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: Two developers working on plans for former Beach Boulevard Kmart property
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »
Nice! So what happens to the Kmart itself? Would love to also see something like this eventually in St Nicholas where the Save A Lot is.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
The top image shows the proposed K-Mart plan. It's going to be subdivided into several uses, including a furniture store/showroom, self storage facility and retail space.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
I hope the Mandarin K-Mart turns out to be something other than more bedding stores, fast food places and a mini-storage.  I don't think Mandarin needs many more of these places.

I would love to see a version of Tapestry Park on the Mandarin property.  I think that's a great concept and surprised it isn't practiced more often.

I know I pushed for a Home Depot move to the Avenue's Sears site but Home Depot taking over the Mandarin K-Mart would seem reasonable too.  Lowes owns Mandarin with two locations serving it and none from HD.  Not really any other obvious big box parcels left in Mandarin for HD to move into.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:12:23 AM »
Self-storage.  *sigh*

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 08:40:32 PM »
The top image shows the proposed K-Mart plan. It's going to be subdivided into several uses, including a furniture store/showroom, self storage facility and retail space.

Thanks I didn't even see that first image.

Bativac

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:35 AM »
This is one of those cases where literally anything would be better than what's there now. Hope it happens as I would love to see this stretch of Beach Blvd turn into something decent. Maybe it will spread over into the surrounding neighborhoods.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »
Drove past yesterday, and the parking lot is all torn up.

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
This is one of those cases where literally anything would be better than what's there now. Hope it happens as I would love to see this stretch of Beach Blvd turn into something decent. Maybe it will spread over into the surrounding neighborhoods.

This.

Converting these old big box stores into indoor self storage is getting pretty common.

CityLife

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
I would expect to see a site plan like that in Middleburg, not 5 minutes from the Hart Bridge, 8 minutes from the Southbank, and right next to Memorial Hospital. I'm not sure there is a major city in America that allows its major commercial corridors to be developed as poorly as Jax does. I mean even Northeast SJC has a requirement to provide parking in the rear of commercial buildings. Is Jax that far behind that it can't even get basic concepts like this right?

Peter Griffin

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
I would expect to see a site plan like that in Middleburg, not 5 minutes from the Hart Bridge, 8 minutes from the Southbank, and right next to Memorial Hospital. I'm not sure there is a major city in America that allows its major commercial corridors to be developed as poorly as Jax does. I mean even Northeast SJC has a requirement to provide parking in the rear of commercial buildings. Is Jax that far behind that it can't even get basic concepts like this right?

What are you on about? This is a suburban shopping center with a large vacant space that would do well to be filled by one or many tenants. Like an above poster said, ANYTHING here is better than the vacant discount store that was here.

Beggars can't be choosers, but holy cow do the people on here love to be choosy

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »
Sprawl with large surface parking lots in front of commercial buildings is still a thing in NE St. Johns.

CityLife

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »
Sprawl with large surface parking lots in front of commercial buildings is still a thing in NE St. Johns.

Mis-typed, I meant NW SJC.

SJC's Comp Plan has a NW Sector Overlay which states, "Non-residential development shall be arranged in a manner that emphasize human-scale, pedestrian-oriented design with buildings fronting the sidewalk and street, short blocks, wide sidewalks, street furniture and similar requirements." There are quite a few other provisions that attempt to limit bad strip development. I believe this is relatively new, so it can't fix past mistakes, but at least attempts to improve new projects. Their County Commission may grant waivers to some of these provisions on projects, but at least they've made an effort with their Comp Plan and code.

I was merely using that for shock value though. The real comparison would be to try and find a large new infill site (not in an extreme low income area) within 3-5 miles of Downtown Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, etc that has exurban style wasted space with large stormwater retention ponds (instead of vaults or exfiltration) and buildings that aren't even fronting the street. In Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, the aforementioned Florida cities, I don't think you would see anything similar to this proposed in an area that close to Downtown, particularly along major arterial roads.

I understand there are some market limitations in that immediate area, but the proposed development program is as simple as possible and will quite likely be in 2030 what the current site is today.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:19:16 PM by CityLife »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
Is Durbin Park considered NW St Johns? It doesn't appear to be any different in design. Definitely a 1990s suburban layout. With that being said, Jax's zoing ordinance is decades out of date. It encourages suburban site development patterns, even in the urban core. Until the policies change, non autocentric site development will remain an exception to the rule.

CityLife

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
Is Durbin Park considered NW St Johns? It doesn't appear to be any different in design. Definitely a 1990s suburban layout. With that being said, Jax's zoing ordinance is decades out of date. It encourages suburban site development patterns, even in the urban core. Until the policies change, non autocentric site development will remain an exception to the rule.
Believe that Durbin Park is in both Jax and SJC and either applied COJ’s less stringent standards or used them as justification for waivers.

Agreed. Jax is long overdue for a code overhaul. Do you know what the height/density limitations are for this site anyways? Would be a prime site for mid-rise residential and/or hotel in addition to the mix of commercial uses proposed.