Author Topic: The Sears at Avenues Mall will Close in December  (Read 1999 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: The Sears at Avenues Mall will Close in December
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
I definitely don't see Target moving there. They just invested a ton of money renovating their store down the street.

Then I'd agree it's unlikely for them to move. My main point is I don't see a traditional department store taking the entire Sears footprint.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »
Target like the rest of big box retail,  hasn't been about opening stores in indoor shopping malls.  They've had some, especially back in the 90s.  But  the few they have left these days are an exception to the rule.

The chatter amoungst the Target HQ peeps in MPLS / Brooklyn Park is the company isn't only focused on smaller stores but on the idea of turning their existing stores into distribution centers.    It's not clear how moving a store to an aging indoor shopping mall would be on Target's to do list.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
Seems like filling or replacing dead traditional anchor spots with a collection of restaurants and entertainment uses are the trend these days.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

pierre

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
Whenever a mall anchor closes, the smaller shops on that wing tend to follow suit. It will be interesting to see how quick they can find something else to activate and anchor that part of the mall.

I have not been to the Avenues in a few months. But there was not much beyond the food court already.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 12:17:03 AM »
Whenever a mall anchor closes, the smaller shops on that wing tend to follow suit. It will be interesting to see how quick they can find something else to activate and anchor that part of the mall.

I have not been to the Avenues in a few months. But there was not much beyond the food court already.
Did you leave the food court?  I'd bet it still has a 90%+ occupancy.

I-10east

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »
It's interesting that Oaks Mall in G-ville replaced it's old Macy's with a second Dillards. Also Oaks Mall went unconventional with their old Sears being constructed into an UF Health Speciality Practices and Outpatient Surgical Center.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 11:54:39 PM »
Haven't been to the Oaks in decades. Is it still popular? I thought some town center type development had been constructed elsewhere in town?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 12:35:10 AM »
Haven't been to the Oaks in decades. Is it still popular? I thought some town center type development had been constructed elsewhere in town?

Hello from G-ville! Yeah, there's a newer place here called Butler south of Oaks, although from a layout standpoint it's probably somewhere between SJTC and what Durbin Park might be in a decade or two. The stores definitely aren't as clustered (although the Butler Town Center part might be heading that way in a few years), and there is a Walmart (that is constantly packed at pretty much all hours).

I-10east

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 01:06:00 AM »

It's doing okay. I definitely won't say that it's in 'it's prime' by no means, but it's doing fairly okay.

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
Cabelas/Bass Pro would be nice.
Third Place

pierre

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »

Did you leave the food court?  I'd bet it still has a 90%+ occupancy.

I am talking specifically about the Sears wing, beyond the food court.

Megabox

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
I don't think losing Sears will affect the smaller stores in the area much. They still have Dillard's and the food court in the area. If the Orange Park Mall were to lose its Sears however it could affect the stores in the wing because it is a lone anchor in that wing at the Orange Park Mall.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »

Geez you really have gone full suburbia haven't you??

Captain Zissou

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »

Having spent 16 hours there in May at the NEFAR temporary offices, I can tell you the occupancy is still quite high.

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »

Geez you really have gone full suburbia haven't you??

The only place to buy high quality hiking gear in Jax is REI.  Some options wouldn't be bad.  Bass Pro anchors Discover Mills Mall in Atlanta and Savannah Mall in Savannah.  If it was up to me though I would build a Cabela's at The Landing site.
Third Place