Author Topic: Ten Lanes Planned For Interstate 10  (Read 3874 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Ten Lanes Planned For Interstate 10
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
Yeah, they have some editing - or maybe software - problems.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »
Oh cool.  One of those interchanges that nobody will know how to use...  The Wackos crowd will love this.  Bye bye smokers video.

Transman

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 01:32:31 PM »
Hopefully, by then people will have driven the same layout on SR 200 and I-95 up in Nassau County.  ;D

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »
^It's statewide. A similar interchange just opened in Brevard County last month. Like roundabouts and LRT, people will eventually get used to them.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 07:59:27 AM »
^It's statewide. A similar interchange just opened in Brevard County last month. Like roundabouts and LRT, people will eventually get used to them.

If the folks in Brevard County and Manatee County can figure it out, I'm sure local folks can too. Heck, there's even two diverging diamond interchanges in Miami now. Of course driving on the wrong side of the road is nothing new there ;)

Transman

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
It will also be interesting to see how the "Peanut Intersection" in St. Augustine is handled by the Public.  Look at the heat maps on Google Maps, even though it is not completed, it appears to help on the queue coming from the Beach to St. Augustine.

JBTripper

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 07:30:19 PM »
There's also a plan to widen I-95 from just north of Emerson to JTB:

https://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-apr-fdot-considering-expanding-southsides-i-95-to-10-lanes

However long it takes to complete this project, it can't take as long as getting your order at the Dunkin' Donuts slated for replacement by a retention pond.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »
If we would just urbanize the area around downtown we wouldn't need to build far-flung subdivisions that required 10 lane interstates to get people downtown.

If anyone thinks 10 lanes will reduce traffic congestion please show me 1 time it has ever worked.

WHat do you do when that's full?  The region adding around 7500 housing units a year.  That's refill the urban core in a year.  Then what?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »
If we would just urbanize the area around downtown we wouldn't need to build far-flung subdivisions that required 10 lane interstates to get people downtown.

If anyone thinks 10 lanes will reduce traffic congestion please show me 1 time it has ever worked.

WHat do you do when that's full?  The region adding around 7500 housing units a year.  That's refill the urban core in a year.  Then what?

Lol, 7500 units wouldn’t fill the Urban Core.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:27 PM »
I note that the diagram for "North of Emerson" shows putting up new sound walls just inches from the existing ones that are not all that old.  Not only do we spend millions on new walls, we dispose of millions more in landscaping.

I am amazed at the lack of long term planning or visioning for even 10 years out that is not taken into account during FDOT projects.  How many billions and interruptions to daily traffic life must we incur for these ridiculous "do overs" of walls, lanes, bridges and interchanges that sometimes are not even 10 to 15 years old, if that.  This waste and inefficiency should be fertile ground for an investigative reporter.

The IRS figures the typical life of a commercial project is about 40 years.  Can't we get even half that for the billions spent on our interstates?  I think this is prima facie evidence that the projects are structured to ensure road builders have never ending work to enrich them and are not designed to truly serve the public good.  That's on top of the fact that these projects bleed dollars from urban core and other non-interstate transportation projects.

I also note that politicos such as Curry and the City Council want detailed and accurate projections of school enrollment for the next 10 years but accept that FDOT experts, consultants and their types can't do the same for their Jacksonville area projects  8).  The double standards...

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »

If Jax was populated at the density of Paris (considered by many to be the most liveable city in the world) everyone in Jax would live within 3 miles of The Landing.  Just image all the tax and transportation savings.
Third Place

Snaketoz

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
If Jacksonville was as densely populated as Paris, there would be 350 murders per year instead of 130.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »

If Jax was populated at the density of Paris (considered by many to be the most liveable city in the world) everyone in Jax would live within 3 miles of The Landing.  Just image all the tax and transportation savings.

If only Jax would have been founded 2000 years ago...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »

If only Jax would have been founded 2000 years ago...

;D
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »
If Jacksonville was as densely populated as Paris, there would be 350 murders per year instead of 130.

Actually, it would be closer to 70.  Paris has a murder/attempted murder rate of 7.1 per 100,000 - and that includes terrorism murders/attempted murders.
Third Place