Author Topic: Ten Lanes Planned For Interstate 10  (Read 3875 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Ten Lanes Planned For Interstate 10
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:55:43 AM »

Construction could be in the near future for many Jacksonville commuters. In 2020, the Florida Department of Transportation plans to begin construction of the $148 million widening of Interstate 10. When complete in 2022, the highway will feature ten lanes between Interstates 95 and 295 through the Westside. Here is a look at what's proposed.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/ten-lanes-planned-for-interstate-10/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tufsu1

Re: Ten Lanes Planned For Interstate 10
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:23:21 AM »
Apparently the use of tolled express lanes is not popular with Gov. DeSantis - some projects around the state will continue (like I-295 and I-4), some are bring converted to free lanes, and some are being shelved entirely.

Of course, FDOT will likely have to find billions for the new M-CORES projects, so some future money earmarked for urban areas may get diverted.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
Not sure I’m on board with the retention ponds in LaVilla. This wouldn’t be the first time FDOT stuck us with retention ponds in awful spaces (Unity Plaza, anyone).

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »
If we would just urbanize the area around downtown we wouldn't need to build far-flung subdivisions that required 10 lane interstates to get people downtown.

If anyone thinks 10 lanes will reduce traffic congestion please show me 1 time it has ever worked.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:09:07 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
No they won't reduce congestion if a building moratorium doesn't come along with it. However, it will funnel millions into the pockets of companies and workers involved with the construction of the project. It should enhance safety upgrading the highway to current design standards. At the end of the day, IMO, those are major underlying drivers for many of these infrastructure projects.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
I'd like to personally thank FDOT for once again redoing this interchange (AGAIN) without soft barriers and adding another few lanes for Mrs. Daisy to cross over at the last minute because she doesn't realize that you can go N/S from either side of the split.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
I'd like to personally thank FDOT for once again redoing this interchange (AGAIN) without soft barriers and adding another few lanes for Mrs. Daisy to cross over at the last minute because she doesn't realize that you can go N/S from either side of the split.

No shit.  I still don't know why there isn't a barrier that stops people from coming off of 17 and cutting far left or doing the opposite

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
I bet come 2023 they start construction in the area again to move  the US 17 exit from the left to the right side of I-10 east, instead of idk, having done it during the last two times there was construction there.

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 07:49:54 PM »
I bet come 2023 they start construction in the area again to move  the US 17 exit from the left to the right side of I-10 east, instead of idk, having done it during the last two times there was construction there.

They already tried that this go around and the residents weren't having any of it.

Snaketoz

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
It seems to me that no matter how many lanes of traffic they have, they will shut down all lanes for 3 hours to investigate a fender bender in the far right lane.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »
This won't help as long as I-95 narrows from 7 lanes to 3 just north of Emerson.  I don't understand why they made the capacity so huge only to drop it down to 3 lanes.  I'm sure they will widen it soon, but it's a nightmare right now.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
There's also a plan to widen I-95 from just north of Emerson to JTB:

https://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-apr-fdot-considering-expanding-southsides-i-95-to-10-lanes

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »
This won't help as long as I-95 narrows from 7 lanes to 3 just north of Emerson.  I don't understand why they made the capacity so huge only to drop it down to 3 lanes.  I'm sure they will widen it soon, but it's a nightmare right now.

Seriously. I feel like they need to just merge a couple lanes earlier, line the C/D Road from the exits. Even shrinking it down 1 would help dramatically.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 10:21:24 AM »
Never fear, Capt. Z, FDOT is planning to add Managed Lanes on I-95 from JTB to Atlantic Boulevard. Construction should start in Fiscal Year 2022/2023, at a cost of $325 million. They will start buying right-of-way this year, and continue for 3 years, for about $50 million.

http://nftpo.dtstiptool.com/report/temp/X5v7tQkc9u.pdf

(I can't figure out how to display that page as an image.)

itsfantastic1

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »
Never fear, Capt. Z, FDOT is planning to add Managed Lanes on I-95 from JTB to Atlantic Boulevard. Construction should start in Fiscal Year 2022/2023, at a cost of $325 million. They will start buying right-of-way this year, and continue for 3 years, for about $50 million.

http://nftpo.dtstiptool.com/report/temp/X5v7tQkc9u.pdf

(I can't figure out how to display that page as an image.)

I like how the report project title is for "I-95 (SR 9) FROM J.T. BUTLER (SR 202) TO ATLANTIC BLVD" but the image is of I-295 from Atlantic to JTB, which is also a project they are working on.