Author Topic: St. Johns Town Center preparing expansion with theater, hotel and more  (Read 2838 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Almost 15 years after opening St. Johns Town Center, owners are preparing for a fourth phase at the Southside shopping center that includes a theater, hotel and additional retail space.

A multistory building for Restoration Hardware also is proposed at St. Johns Town Center that could be part of the project.

Separately, a news report shows that Pinstripes Bowling Bocce Bistro is interested in a Jacksonville location, but no site was specified.

St. Johns Town Center is at northwest Butler Boulevard and Interstate 295.

Plans show a four-parcel fourth phase, primarily east of True Food Kitchen, J. Alexander’s and the shops that include Tesla, Apple and Urban Outfitters.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/st-johns-town-center-preparing-expansion-with-theater-hotel-and-more
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jagsdrew

Re: St. Johns Town Center preparing expansion with theater, hotel and more
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 07:47:39 AM »
Took a photo of Gate Parkway and Town Center Blvd.

Twitter: @Jagsdrew

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »

About fifteen years ago during some regional planning event I visited with an elderly Skinner....he was trying mightily to rationalize what had been lobbied,agreed and planned on.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
Perpetual traffic concerns aside, looks like a really cool addition to the Town Center.

Pinstripes would be a really fun get for the TC, and I like that the movie theater is small enough (and likely different enough) to not cannibalize Tinseltown. Interesting that Fuqua's development across the street also includes a dine-in movie theater though.

Absolutely crazy to think that when the SuperBowl was here in Jax, our destination shopping area was the Avenue's Mall.

We've clearly underacheived as a city with our downtown during this economic cycle, but it's pretty cool to see how many huge retailers have bet on Jacksonville/Town Center post-recession.

One underrated aspect of all this development in that area in the last decade as well is that, at least in my opinion, it makes UNF way more attractive to prospective students. The school has historically had the reputation of a commuter college, but in the last 10-15 years, every restaurant and store you could possibly imagine has sprung up across the street, along with places like Top Golf, IKEA, iFly, Pinstripes, etc. If there's a shuttle that goes back and forth between UNF and the TC (which I believe there is), it's a million times easier for freshmen to live on campus without a vehicle than it was when the area was just forest. I'd almost market the TC area as an extension of the campus. Having a lifestyle center nextdoor will clearly never be the reason that someone chooses a school, but I do think all the nearby amenities could easily swing some decisions here and there.

Glad to see continued economic growth in the region.

Jax is killing it with the Town Center, killing it with the Beaches, killing it with Brooklyn/Riverside and other urban neighborhoods.

There's just one missing piece of the puzzle that would make Jacksonville a complete, unique, diversified city...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:49:07 AM by Ken_FSU »

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 11:03:55 AM »
Personally, I don't feel that traffic is all that bad and I have to drive through there every day.  I do feel they should be planning on a widening to 4 lanes pretty soon.   

RiversideRambler

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:01 PM »

About fifteen years ago during some regional planning event I visited with an elderly Skinner....he was trying mightily to rationalize what had been lobbied,agreed and planned on.

What do you mean?

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »

What do you mean?

No one will ever know.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »
Personally, I don't feel that traffic is all that bad and I have to drive through there every day.  I do feel they should be planning on a widening to 4 lanes pretty soon.   

Widening WHAT to four lanes - Big Island Drive?  Most everything else is four or six lanes in and around Town Center.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
Sorry,
4 each way. 

Captain Zissou

avonjax

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
I'm thrilled with the news. SCREW DT Jax. It's over. Finally a mayor was elected who has absolutely ZERO idea of how to make Jax downtown a better city. I hope everyone enjoys the HORRIBLE empty lots on the riverfront. Not opposed to Lot J but not at the cost of the core. He's finally killing the place. I'm done! It took years and years of fake plans but staring at empty lots for years has killed my desire to care. At least the town center offers something decent. A little crowded but doesn't bother me at all.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »
I'm thrilled with the news. SCREW DT Jax. It's over. Finally a mayor was elected who has absolutely ZERO idea of how to make Jax downtown a better city. I hope everyone enjoys the HORRIBLE empty lots on the riverfront. Not opposed to Lot J but not at the cost of the core. He's finally killing the place. I'm done! It took years and years of fake plans but staring at empty lots for years has killed my desire to care. At least the town center offers something decent. A little crowded but doesn't bother me at all.
You and Kerry should start a support group.  Meetings can be held at the Chili's on San Jose in Mandarin.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
Perpetual traffic concerns aside, looks like a really cool addition to the Town Center.

Pinstripes would be a really fun get for the TC, and I like that the movie theater is small enough (and likely different enough) to not cannibalize Tinseltown. Interesting that Fuqua's development across the street also includes a dine-in movie theater though.

Absolutely crazy to think that when the SuperBowl was here in Jax, our destination shopping area was the Avenue's Mall.

We've clearly underacheived as a city with our downtown during this economic cycle, but it's pretty cool to see how many huge retailers have bet on Jacksonville/Town Center post-recession.

One underrated aspect of all this development in that area in the last decade as well is that, at least in my opinion, it makes UNF way more attractive to prospective students. The school has historically had the reputation of a commuter college, but in the last 10-15 years, every restaurant and store you could possibly imagine has sprung up across the street, along with places like Top Golf, IKEA, iFly, Pinstripes, etc. If there's a shuttle that goes back and forth between UNF and the TC (which I believe there is), it's a million times easier for freshmen to live on campus without a vehicle than it was when the area was just forest. I'd almost market the TC area as an extension of the campus. Having a lifestyle center nextdoor will clearly never be the reason that someone chooses a school, but I do think all the nearby amenities could easily swing some decisions here and there.

Glad to see continued economic growth in the region.

Jax is killing it with the Town Center, killing it with the Beaches, killing it with Brooklyn/Riverside and other urban neighborhoods.

There's just one missing piece of the puzzle that would make Jacksonville a complete, unique, diversified city...

Great points and I would add Jax is killing it in healthcare with Mayo and Baptist.

avonjax

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
You and Kerry should start a support group.  Meetings can be held at the Chili's on San Jose in Mandarin.

At least there is a place to meet. Can't say the same thing for the dwindling downtown.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 12:45:27 PM »
Where is Glenn when you need him?