Author Topic: Poll shows overwhelming opposition to Lenny Curry priorities  (Read 1025 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Poll shows overwhelming opposition to Lenny Curry priorities
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:09:53 PM »
Poll shows overwhelming opposition to Lenny Curry priorities

JEA privatization: a non-starter with voters.

By A.G. Gancarski on August 19, 2019

In a fresh survey of Jacksonville voters, Mayor Lenny Curry (and some of his key priorities) are strikingly underwater.

Curry, reelected in March with 57 percent of the vote, is in his final term. While he won’t face another electoral challenge, the poll shows some attrition of the Mayor’s popularity in recent months.

On the question of job approval, Curry is -4 with 40 percent approval and 44 percent disapproval.

The survey was conducted by St. Pete Polls,

With Democrats, Curry is underwater by a nearly 2-1 margin (56 percent disapproval, 29 percent approval). Republicans approve of the Mayor by a somewhat smaller spread (55 percent approval, 33 percent disapproval).

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/303649-poll-shows-overwhelming-opposition-to-lenny-curry-priorities

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

Re: Poll shows overwhelming opposition to Lenny Curry priorities
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
How about a new UNF poll?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
#winning

Snaketoz

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »
It was incredible that stammering, stuttering Leonard was elected on his first try.  What is even more incredible is that he was reelected this past March.  I am ashamed of the voters here in Jax.  If there is a more incompetent mayor serving in a major city in America, I'd like to hear about them.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 07:20:04 PM »
To the Civic Council types who funded his campaigns, and are tied to charter schools, he is doing just fine.  Delivering what they want.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 07:42:25 PM »
To the Civic Council types who funded his campaigns, and are tied to charter schools, he is doing just fine.  Delivering what they want.

I wonder if it is what "all" on the Civic Council really want.  From what I hear, I am guessing many (maybe even a majority) are keeping quiet as they don't want to incur the wrath of Mayor Curry for not toeing the Mayor's line.

Scary thought that even those among the "most powerful" can be so easily cowered.  This is bad news for Jax as robust discourse has been stifled insuring that the process of distilling the best ideas for our City never takes place and, instead, we get random walks in the wilderness leading to wasted efforts and idle (or retrogressive?) progress.

FlaBoy

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »

Shame on them for wanting to see reform of our school system that has struggled to serve our populations most in need of a great public education. I will never understand how anyone can watch 12-19% of students reading at grade level at many of our schools and think business as usual can continue on. We need fresh ideas and innovation.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 01:31:51 AM »
Shame on them for wanting to see reform of our school system that has struggled to serve our populations most in need of a great public education. I will never understand how anyone can watch 12-19% of students reading at grade level at many of our schools and think business as usual can continue on. We need fresh ideas and innovation.

No one is calling for shame on people wanting change. Hell, no one is saying that the school system is fine, that's why this whole referendum thing is an issue in the first place. The issue is that these people are intentionally preventing the system from improving itself in order to funnel taxpayer money into their own interests. That's wrong.

MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
For the record Lenny's daughter goes to public school in San Marco.....

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 08:54:54 AM »
Enroll her in Northwestern and see if his mind changes.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
Enroll her in Northwestern and see if his mind changes.

Northwestern's facilities are actually not bad. Now, they are being shut down because they have 15% of students reading at grade level for four consecutive years which is absolutely a crime.

MusicMan

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 01:56:53 PM »
The point I'm making is his daughter is not at a Charter or Private school.....

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »
The point I'm making is his daughter is not at a Charter or Private school.....

Its easy to stay with public schools when you're zoned for Hendricks Avenue Elementary - the downside of our great magnet high schools (Stanton, Paxon, DA) means that talent at the remaining public schools is diminished. That's also happening at the middle school level.