Author Topic: What attractions do you want in Downtown Jax?  (Read 1848 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: What attractions do you want in Downtown Jax?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »
I'd like to echo some of the other sentiments.  Easier bike/pedestrian access and just more stuff to do.  As a St Nicholas resident, i spend most of my time in the square and Murray Hill lately.  Unless I am specifically attending an event or satisfying a Volstead craving, I'm never in DT on the weekend. 

I would love to want to come downtown, but there's not much to do.  I like Bellweather, Spliffs, Dos Gatos, & Super Food, but they aren't connected enough to just go downtown and figure it out.  Many Fridays my girlfriend and I start at Posting House, Grape & Grain, or Town Hall and then just see where we end up.  You currently can't do that DT. The ideal situation would be ride bikes to the Atlantic blvd skyway station, take that to Hemming Park station, walk to the bar at the Snyder Memorial and then spend the evening enjoying the downtown atmosphere at a number of Laura Street bars, restaurants, and patios for a few hours.

MusicMan

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
"Baby steps, MM...  lol.

It's coming, but it took me 40 years to even make it to a broadway show - Le Mis last year. "

I'll take it. This year the Broadway Series is AMAZING. I actually bought a 4 pack so my family can go to all the shows.

WICKED, HAMILTON, ANASTASIA, RENT............... There are more, but that line up will have the TU packed!

Jacksonville Symphony starts the Season off with Jacksonville native Marcus Roberts (Piano) and his trio doing Marcus own arrangement of George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"  for Piano Trio and Symphony Orchestra. It should be incredible.
One night ONLY September 28.

marcusroberts.com

jaxsymphony.org

I-10east

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
A Fuddruckers.

I sense the sarcasm LOL

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 03:41:35 PM »
A Fuddruckers.

I sense the sarcasm LOL

:D

On a serious note, I think just more of what we have now - restaurants, bars and cafes or whatever. Maybe some shopping. I remember what downtown was like when I moved to Jax in the late 70s. It was dying then, but there was still stuff going on. I think we can do it again - it really just takes some leadership and committment from our local government.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

I-10east

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »
^^^It's very interesting that most people on the thread aren't calling for any grandiose mega entertainment complexes or anything like that, just simple things like some more restaurants, people doing things etc (like notably NRW said).   

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 03:59:37 PM »
^^^It's very interesting that most people on the thread aren't calling for any grandiose mega entertainment complexes or anything like that, just simple things like some more restaurants, people doing things etc (like notably NRW said).

People doing things in a place with nothing to do is impossible.

A proper Children's Museum
IMAX
Downtown movie theater
Art Museums (Cummer is okay but I mean a real one)
Aquarium
Whitewater rafting facility
Observation tower
Iconic monument
Insectarium
Florida Sports Hall of Fame
Southern Rock Museum
Recreation of civil war forts that surrounded downtown
Florida Music Hall of Fame
Florida Walk of Fame
3D Projection on some building
Museum of Natural History
Duval/Jacksonville Historical Museum
Railroad Museum
Explorer Museum
Air and Space Museum

There are so many possibilities the ideas are endless.  Where Jax fails is throwing money at 3rd parties thinking they are going to build the magic bullet projects when the City should just build these things directly and use corporate donations to close funding gaps.

The CSX Railroad Museum
Gate Museum of Natural History
Vystar Jacksonville Historical Museum
Fanatics Florida Sports Hall of Fame
Florida Blue Insectarium
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:59:51 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
More of everything, better landscaping, more places to live and shop, transit, more places to dine, cleaner parks, business growth, children's museum, etc. Most of all a city government with sound planning and direction to move Jax in a positive direction that allows all these things to take place naturally as the economy allows.   

itsfantastic1

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »
Does proven mass transit around downtown count?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 07:39:51 PM »
Yep ^^^

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
An observation Tower, Mooneyhan Entertainment Complex, Macy's, an NBA team, a Starbucks and Fuddruckers. This would really change the game.

In seriousness, just more density. More people. More lame things to do within a half-mile radius. The need for another grocery store, this time with an urban footprint. Perhaps a scooter/bikeshare. And maybe also karaoke?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
Yep ^^^

In that case, I'd happily take a fixed streetcar line running from the sports complex all the way down Bay Street, past Laura Street and the Landing, through Brooklyn with all the new development there, and into the Memorial Park/Five Points area. Maybe connecting to the JTRC along the way.

Feels like it would bring the corridor together and spur development 100 times more than a parade of clown cars in mixed traffic.

The no-frills Skyway station in Brooklyn that the site pushed for years ago remains one of the biggest missed opportunities out there.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 10:17:15 PM »
Ah, the clown cars! We really do have a way of killing easy wins when they come our way. LaVilla finally starts getting housing units within walking distance of two skyway stations and......bam, that section of the line gets closed completely for JRTC construction and experimentation with what ride share companies are already doing. 10 years of knowing that development in Brooklyn was coming and knowing that a no-frills solution to tie skyway access into it was available......nothing but crickets regarding short term enhancement and more talks about plans for something where basic transit questions can't be answered because what's proposed doesn't really exist. Hotel boom, more residential going up within skyway station 1,4 mile walksheds in LaVilla, Brooklyn and the Southbank....but no weekend service.

This morning on Melissa Ross, a term that was repeated time and time again regarding downtown was being a "C" student. Promises of innovation and one trick pony proposals may be exciting but what Jax could really benefit is from doing the basic things that any average big city would do. These quotes say it all.

In seriousness, just more density. More people. More lame things to do within a half-mile radius. The need for another grocery store, this time with an urban footprint. Perhaps a scooter/bikeshare. And maybe also karaoke?

More of everything, better landscaping, more places to live and shop, transit, more places to dine, cleaner parks, business growth, children's museum, etc. Most of all a city government with sound planning and direction to move Jax in a positive direction that allows all these things to take place naturally as the economy allows.

I'd like to echo some of the other sentiments.  Easier bike/pedestrian access and just more stuff to do.  As a St Nicholas resident, i spend most of my time in the square and Murray Hill lately.  Unless I am specifically attending an event or satisfying a Volstead craving, I'm never in DT on the weekend. 

I would love to want to come downtown, but there's not much to do.  I like Bellweather, Spliffs, Dos Gatos, & Super Food, but they aren't connected enough to just go downtown and figure it out.  Many Fridays my girlfriend and I start at Posting House, Grape & Grain, or Town Hall and then just see where we end up.  You currently can't do that DT. The ideal situation would be ride bikes to the Atlantic blvd skyway station, take that to Hemming Park station, walk to the bar at the Snyder Memorial and then spend the evening enjoying the downtown atmosphere at a number of Laura Street bars, restaurants, and patios for a few hours.

I just got back from vacation in NYC (no, this isn't a comparison) and what did I want to do while there? 

Nothing in particular, I just wandered around lower Manhattan for a day.  Took everyone to Coney Island Thursday.  Went to a Yankees game on Sunday and spent Monday just wandering around Governors Island.  The rest of the trip was spend in the NJ country and rafting in PA. 

So what attractions do I want?  None.  I just want more options - more places to eat, more places to wander, more places to sit back and watch other people doing shit. 

I have season tix for our family at:  Jags, Theater, MOSH, Zoo.  I go to a few shows a year at Daily's and I go to a few at the FL Theater.  I'll hit 6-10 Jumbo Shrimp & Sharks games a season.  But what I never do is just go to wander around.  There's really not much there that I haven't seen. 

The main attraction that DT Jax needs is perception.  No one's going there to do anything that they can't do elsewhere in town aside from special events, so the powers that be just need to make the perception of going downtown en vogue again.

Call me a dullard, but I'd be genuinely thrilled to just have a CVS/Walgreens, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and pizza restaurant without rats within a block of Laura Street.

Plus a well designed urban waterfront park with lots of amenities nearby.

At least twice I week, I get in my car, leave downtown, and drive to Memorial Park in Riverside to get the above experience.

Shouldn't have to be that way.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:18:50 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Todd_Parker

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:48 AM »
I always thought a well-done museum dedicated to "southern rock" could be a draw for Jacksonville. The city actually has quite a few ties to the beginnings of the genre so its placement here would seem genuine. Plus, it would be something unique as opposed to the usual aquarium/ferris wheel.

Perhaps something similar to the National Blues Museum in St. Louis:
https://www.nationalbluesmuseum.org/visitor-info/

Captain Zissou

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
I always thought a well-done museum dedicated to "southern rock" could be a draw for Jacksonville. The city actually has quite a few ties to the beginnings of the genre so its placement here would seem genuine. Plus, it would be something unique as opposed to the usual aquarium/ferris wheel.

Perhaps something similar to the National Blues Museum in St. Louis:
https://www.nationalbluesmuseum.org/visitor-info/

This would be cool to put either on the north bank or over on the RCBC property to create a culture/museum hub between this, the expanded MOSH, and friendship fountain.  I'd like to see a Jazz museum too.  These could be in the same complex with a shared music venue and dining on the water.  If there was an open courtyard you could add a second stage for festivals.... Oh and if there was a nearby street that dead ends into the river and has surrounding green space... that would be perfect for a third stage! Gee... If only we had a vacant existing building that fit these criteria

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
My dream for a future “attraction” is innovative rising water solutions combined with pedestrian oriented  development. Considering the state of the riverfront as it now exists, we are starting with almost a blank slate.  Bring the Dutch over here, and tell us what to do. If we have to blow off the Jags to pay for it, don’t let the door hit you on the way out of town. JEA proceeds? Spend them.If we have to raise taxes a ton, raise them. I would love for my taxes to go for something like that instead of making Government employees millionaires and obscene handouts to the NFL. Let’s have our own version of “Live with water” and become a model for other waterfront US cities. Forget these faux “game changers”. Let’s go big or go home.