Author Topic: Forward School Issues Directly To The Mayor & Council  (Read 4991 times)

tufsu1

Re: Forward School Issues Directly To The Mayor & Council
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
Why stop with the school board? I for one think the mayor should be able to appoint his own City Council!

some might argue he just did

itsfantastic1

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
Nate Monroe with some hot fire: https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190814/nate-monroe-time-for-school-board-to-sue-city-hall

The city has disrespected school officials for months. Others have already noted this, but it bears repeating again and again: The school system has done a far better job tackling the graduation rate than the city has addressing the murder rate (Jacksonville surpassed 100 homicides this week, the fastest ever the city has reached this point in the 14 years the Times-Union has tracked that data).

Even though it might have looked like these people were debating the fate of the universe, the only thing the School Board needs the City Council to do is put its requested sales-tax on the ballot for voters to ultimately decide.

Here's the problem: The City Council made it clear Wednesday it has far more than questions. The real issue is several members are school board wannabes, and that is why this thing is going nowhere.

Few people in City Hall seem to possess the capacity for self-reflection, however, so the school board faces an endless barrage of "questions" and "concerns," all while the city attorney uses a Bible story to justify the improper role the council has taken by refusing to place the sales-tax issue on the ballot.

Right now, the school district has prioritized spending the money based on where the maintenance needs are, and since the oldest charter school is newer than the newest public school, it's no great surprise where most of the money is going....Giving money on a per-pupil basis — rather than based on maintenance needs — to charters could shift hundreds of millions of dollars away from aging public school buildings.

"What you're asking for is essentially a blank check for charter schools and I'm not hearing the same level of questioning for how charter schools will use that money," School Board member Elizabeth Andersen said during Wednesday's meeting.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
Hear! Hear!
Nate Monroe is a voice of reason in a wilderness of stupidity and avarice.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 09:16:13 PM »
As part of this whole school board debacle; if you haven't kept up; Jason Fischer changed his J-1 bill completely from an appointed school board to an elected superintendent since it was unconstitutional and lost support from Curry and the Council.

Lori Hersey probably put it best...
https://twitter.com/lorihershey4/status/1170422234483175424

Now, as the COJ Charter review begins to debate the topic of an elected superintendent; the chair cuts the meeting short prior to public comment as well as a few non-Curry councilmen that were set to speak.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/abrupt-end-to-charter-revision-meeting-draws-complaints

I don't understand how anyone can stand by and not look at what this is; an attack on the only institution in this city that doesn't bow to our Mayor (and his charter school backers).

This whole thing is a shit show and makes me very sad to be a resident of Jacksonville. 4 points away from an A district for the first time. The main complaint for people leaving Jacksonville is the schools and now that we are on the verge of making progress as an A district with comparable facilities to the other big districts; we pull this.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:19:37 PM by itsfantastic1 »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
The Mayor just accepted this challenge in a tweet so now its official:  He is here to personally oversee school maintenance.  Just email him your list of needs.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Concerned Duval County teachers can now email Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry regarding any issues they are having with their classrooms or schools.

Curry made the announcement on Twitter Sunday night after responding to a Duval County teacher struggling with lack of air conditioning in their classroom.

"I am working on lesson plans wondering if the A/C in my class is going to work tonight," Twitter user @ChrisinJax1 said. The tweet was posted as a response to a Twitter poll Curry posted just before 8:30 p.m. asking his follower if they were watching the Emmy Awards or Sunday Night Football.

Curry responded to the teacher, saying, "DM [Direct Message] me your school and your classroom and we will make sure your problem is fixed." 

... Curry sent another tweet telling teachers with problems to email him.

I think someone just stepped in manure big time!  LOL.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/jacksonville-mayor-lenny-curry-accepting-email-requests-to-fix-classrooms-schools/77-5ab856ab-8f27-406f-92fd-034b11240d19

itsfantastic1

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »
^Careful... His method of repair may be similar to his method of redevelopment... Bulldoze it.

This is just an attempt to try and confuse voters by showing an elected offical can respond better than an appointed one to the needs of the schools without raising taxes. It's a political move that just puts bandaids on the problem.

Someone suggested we should now tweet the superindendant and ask her to fix the roads and other city maintance projects. If I had a Twitter, I'd be doing exactly that.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »
Mayor better get crackin' on those school repairs.  This could look like our schools soon, except we already have A/C, we just don't want to maintain it:

Almost 50 Baltimore schools with no AC close early as temps hit 90 on first day of fall
The schools that lacked air conditioning dismissed students early for the third time this month.

About 50 schools in Baltimore that lack air conditioning dismissed students early on Monday, the first day of fall, for the third time this month as temperatures hit a stifling 90 degrees.

Due to the high temperatures, about 50 schools without air conditioning were to dismiss three hours early, Baltimore City Public Schools said in a statement on Monday morning.

The school district previously announced the affected schools would dismiss three hours early on Sept. 12 and two hours early on Sept. 4, the second day of classes.

The schools are listed on the district’ website as designated for early dismissal on “extremely hot days.” Temperatures have repeatedly reached the low 90s in Baltimore this month.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan wrote in a post on Facebook Monday afternoon that this was "the third time in the new school year that students are being deprived of valuable time in the classroom because of this problem."

"I am appalled that this continues to detract from the education of thousands of young Marylanders who deserve a safe, healthy, and comfortable learning environment," he wrote. "This is the third-highest funded large school system in America — where’s the accountability?"

Earlier Monday, in response to the third day of early dismissals, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s office referred to a previous statement the governor made after the first day of early dismissals this year.

“It is outrageous and completely unacceptable that the third-highest funded school system in America still refuses to put air conditioning in all their schools, and had to send kids home from 57 hot school buildings,” Hogan wrote in a statement on Sept. 4. “The Baltimore City School System must be held accountable.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/almost-50-baltimore-schools-no-ac-close-early-temps-hit-n1057771

Snaketoz

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
Wow, what wimps. I went to Duval schools from grade 1 thru 12.  None of the schools had A/C, and neither did our home.  How did I survive?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 11:48:38 AM »
Wow, what wimps. I went to Duval schools from grade 1 thru 12.  None of the schools had A/C, and neither did our home.  How did I survive?

and walked 5 miles uphill each way, to and from school ...  :)

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »

I went to an un-airconditioned elementary school.  But, in those days, they (1) either had giant hall fans to suck air through the entire building and the classrooms had openings at the tops of the walls facing the halls and/or open doors to allow the hall fans to pull air through the rooms and/or (2) they had rotating room fans in the classrooms.  Also, all the classroom windows from nearly floor to ceiling along the entire outside wall could be opened.

In these days of hermetically sealed buildings for insulation and security, I doubt many, if any, classrooms could be ventilated this way.  Thus, if the infrastructure isn't there to maximize air circulation without A/C, it would get stifling very quickly.  I also note if un-airconditioned spaces were all that great, we would not have nearly 100% of today's buildings in Florida with A/C :).

As has been noted by others, let the Mayor and City Council work in an un-airconditioned building and report back how wonderful it is.