Author Topic: Forward School Issues Directly To The Mayor & Council  (Read 7002 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Forward School Issues Directly To The Mayor & Council
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »

In an unprecedented step, Mayor Lenny Curry and Jacksonville City Council have denied Duval County Public Schools the ability to fund the district's building maintenance. In doing so, they're taking the responsibility of school maintenance on themselves - and you should forward any complaints directly to them.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/forward-school-issues-directly-to-the-mayor-council/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

Re: Forward School Issues Directly To The Mayor & Council
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
Mandarin High is Currently without running water or A/C.  Can't wait to see how that goes next week.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »
Lol, I received a text update this morning from Mandarin High this morning. The A/C has been fixed for now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:34:44 PM »
I see a lot of Trump in Jacksonville mayor . . . including listening to no one but himself.  However, I think if the owner of the Jags or the organization as a whole took a stance, the mayor and most of city council would pay attention.  I have have to think Kahn would support putting the 1/2 cent sales tax on the ballot sooner rather than later.  Investment in the public good/schools is good for business and good for the community.  I believe that would be his position.  Kahn took a position on the HRO and and I believe it helped (others here would know better than I how much it helped).

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:37 PM »
Love this idea! Shared it with my sphere of influence, too.

vicupstate

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:27 AM »
Curry doesn't want the tax to be voted on in 2019, because it will only make it harder to justify the millions going to Lot J if taxes are already going up for something else. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
"Career politician Carlucci has spent the last three or four decades just being negative and the truth seems to be he’s more focused on grabbing headlines than helping people."

This quote by Fischer is extremely inaccurate and should be all you need to know about him and his plan..  Another Curry sycophant slinging mud in order to get their way.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »
"Career politician Carlucci has spent the last three or four decades just being negative and the truth seems to be he’s more focused on grabbing headlines than helping people."

This quote by Fischer is extremely inaccurate and should be all you need to know about him and his plan..  Another Curry sycophant slinging mud in order to get their way.

Pretty sad when you can’t argue for your own bill with anything but personal aspersions against those who disagree on its merits.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

itsfantastic1

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »
What I don't understand is how this can even be considered, ignoring the timing of this and the individual proposing it. Florida Constitution art. IX, §4(a) says:

"In each school district there shall be a school board composed of five or more members chosen by vote of the electors in a nonpartisan election for appropriately staggered terms of four years, as provided by law."

Do any lawyers (or armchair lawyers) know if Jacksonville's status as a consolidated government provides the ability to override this section? It pretty clearly states that school boards are to be elected and since it's in the constitution, any state or local law that does otherwise should be deemed unconstitutional; especially if you have a "originalist" view of laws as most Republicans claim to. 

Papa33

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »
What I don't understand is how this can even be considered, ignoring the timing of this and the individual proposing it. Florida Constitution art. IX, §4(a) says:

"In each school district there shall be a school board composed of five or more members chosen by vote of the electors in a nonpartisan election for appropriately staggered terms of four years, as provided by law."

Do any lawyers (or armchair lawyers) know if Jacksonville's status as a consolidated government provides the ability to override this section? It pretty clearly states that school boards are to be elected and since it's in the constitution, any state or local law that does otherwise should be deemed unconstitutional; especially if you have a "originalist" view of laws as most Republicans claim to.

https://news.wjct.org/post/jacksonville-mayor-appointed-school-board-proposal-could-face-legal-hurdle

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 10:49:56 AM »

I know City Charters CAN overrule things like this. Ours currently does not.

Now, in order to do so, that has to go before the State Legislature. The city can’t just make up their own rules on their own, no matter how hard they try

vicupstate

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 12:49:19 PM »

Now, in order to do so, that has to go before the State Legislature. The city can’t just make up their own rules on their own, no matter how hard they try

I'm not a lawyer but I have a hard time believing any city or county ordinance can override even a state law, much less a state constitution. If the legislature has to pass a law in order for something to happen, then it really is the state doing it, not the city. Admittedly, this may be just symantecs more than anything else.

As I understand it, from cases involving the application of consolidated government (which applies only to JAX), Jacksonville has all the authority that conveys to a city and the all the authority that coveys to a county under the FL constitution.  Since no county or city has the authority to appoint a school board, clearly a change at  the state level, and most likely the constitutional level, would have to take place.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »

I'm not a lawyer but I have a hard time believing any city or county ordinance can override even a state law, much less a state constitution. If the legislature has to pass a law in order for something to happen, then it really is the state doing it, not the city. Admittedly, this may be just symantecs more than anything else.

As I understand it, from cases involving the application of consolidated government (which applies only to JAX), Jacksonville has all the authority that conveys to a city and the all the authority that coveys to a county under the FL constitution.  Since no county or city has the authority to appoint a school board, clearly a change at  the state level, and most likely the constitutional level, would have to take place.

That’s the point. The City cannot. Effectively, the Charter Commission’s end product is to “ask” the state government to do things. There are a few exceptions to state law on how county/local governments are organized. The key thing is the State Legislature has to green light it

DrQue

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »
Why stop with the school board? I for one think the mayor should be able to appoint his own City Council!