Author Topic: San Jose Blvd / Claire Lane is a bad intersection. Why no more red light cameras  (Read 603 times)

Megabox

Why did they get rid of the red light cameras at the San Jose Blvd / Claire Lane intersection? That is a bad intersection. It should have red light cameras.

Charles Hunter

Jax stopped using them at the end of 2017. https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/new-year-to-bring-removal-of-red-light-cameras-in-jacksonville

When Williams made the announcement earlier this year, he cited a report from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles that showed red-light cameras were not making the roads safer. According to that study, crashes increased by more than 10.1 percent after red-light cameras were installed.

Also, I thought I heard somewhere (or my mind just made it up) that they weren't bringing in the level of revenues they expected.

Josh

Jax stopped using them at the end of 2017. https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/new-year-to-bring-removal-of-red-light-cameras-in-jacksonville

When Williams made the announcement earlier this year, he cited a report from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles that showed red-light cameras were not making the roads safer. According to that study, crashes increased by more than 10.1 percent after red-light cameras were installed.

Also, I thought I heard somewhere (or my mind just made it up) that they weren't bringing in the level of revenues they expected.

Red light cameras also increase the number of accidents at an intersection, not decrease them.

Adam White

• Facebook

Red light cameras also increase the number of accidents at an intersection, not decrease them.

That's not true. You can cherry-pick a study or two if you want, but overall, the majority of studies have shown a decrease in accidents.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Charles Hunter

Not going to look it up, but my recollection is that while the number of crashes increases, the severity decreases: rear-end crashes (from quick stops and following too close) are typically less severe than T-bone crashes (running the red light).

Adam White

• Facebook
Not going to look it up, but my recollection is that while the number of crashes increases, the severity decreases: rear-end crashes (from quick stops and following too close) are typically less severe than T-bone crashes (running the red light).

I think - and yeah, totally outside my area of expertise (assuming I even had one) - that the overall opinion would be 'inconclusive' (at worst) on the efficacy of red light cameras. But I also remember reading something that mentioned at least one or more studies that showed certain types of crashes were reduced.

Not sure if cameras are the solution - and I am not familair with this intersection - but based on what I saw at the Town Center, something needs to be done about people disregarding traffic lights.

Charles Hunter

Death Rays ... instead of taking a picture, it vaporizes the offending car.

Adam White

• Facebook
Death Rays ... instead of taking a picture, it vaporizes the offending car.

;D