Author Topic: Curry, Boyer offer Updates on Downtown Projects  (Read 2507 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
Re: Curry, Boyer offer Updates on Downtown Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »
Now why did they have to bring up development for River City Brewing and get my hopes up? Interesting wager...what happens first, new development of the site or expiration of the 99 year lease?
I guess we might need a study on the impact of the city losing the massive revenues from the lease first.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
Old Courthouse:  So we're just abandoning the convention center idea?  How much money did we waste on the RFP?

Everything else: I'll believe it when I see it, but it seems like he's leveling everything to the ground and just hoping that someone comes along.

Hotels:  I'm hopeful for these, but I don't think we'll get all 7.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
It's super cool that Lori Boyer says that the former City Hall site hopefully can support high rise residential development.  If only there had been a high rise on that site that could easily have been retrofitted to become a residential property...

(Yes, that's sarcasm) (No, I don't know how to do a sarcasm font)
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
Old Courthouse: They mentioned a "city owned parcel east of the Hyatt". Is that the Landing East lot or the small parking lot on Bay Street next to the Main St Bridge Ramp? Also, doesn't the Hyatt owner have an option on it? What's to stop them from responding with a P3 on a Exhibition Hall?

Landing: Whatever. So stupid to kick everyone out then RFP the thing. I'll believe it when I see it in terms of development.

JEA: I suppose good that Curry "thinks" JEA goes forward with the Ryan plan. But I won't celebrate until I see a tower crane on the site.

Hotels: My Guess:

• AC Hotel By Marriott: Downtown Southbank, The District (Will happen enventually)

• Courtyard By Marriott: Laura Street Trio (As soon as it can, will likely happen as Barnett is wrapping up and the Garage is coming)

• Hyatt Place: Hogan Street and Independent Drive (sounds like permits applied)

• La Quinta: Ambassador Hotel (shockingly, I think this just might happen)

• Residence Inn by Marriott: Brooklyn (happening now effectively. Stupid design)

• Unnamed hotel: Lot J  (may happen as I get the feeling COJ will effectively be paying for it and it would be a deal no one could turn down)

• Unnamed hotel: The Shipyards (not holding my breath)

River City Brewing Co.: This land is so underutilized I can't believe someone hasn't responded up to this point. But, I've heard about those "unnamed developers" before....so....let me know when there is something to talk about. If I were the city I'd push for something to happen here as it could be a cool area.

Berkman Plaza II: lol. Shocking that the Wally-world thing didn't work out.

Duval County Jail: Nothing to report and not going to happen during Curry's admin which we all knew but now he's saying it, which is actually good (rather than than total BS about moving it within the next 4 years) No need to spend this money unless there's an urgent need to expand as there's WAY cheaper low hanging fruit.

Greyhound parking lot: This was a paragraph that said nothing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:23:17 AM by Steve »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
Definitely don't get the point of wasting money and time hiring a firm to do a highest and best use study for the Landing or city hall annex sites. But also don't/didn't see a need to spend money on demolition of either site before issuing a RFP. As we said in the past, you'd have to issue a RFP for them at some point anyway. Get on with it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »
Hopefully any development on the River City site, in conjunction with the planned reworking of MOSH, will help to create better Riverwalk access and more interaction and connectivity.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
Definitely don't get the point of wasting money and time hiring a firm to do a highest and best use study for the Landing or city hall annex sites. But also don't/didn't see a need to spend money on demolition of either site before issuing a RFP. As we said in the past, you'd have to issue a RFP for them at some point anyway. Get on with it.

Yeah, Jesus can this group spend money.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »
I'd be surprised to see something go up on the River City Brewing site anytime soon...other than the place being demolished. Reading that article, probably 50% of the projects mentioned are the type of fluff we heard from the JEDC back in the day when they were justifying their push for the main street pocket park (i.e. someone called about building a hotel six months ago). Focus on the projects that are close to actually breaking ground or applying for permits and how to activate the properties and public realm immediately surrounding them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:01:18 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »

Yeah, Jesus can this group spend money.

The only thing the current process guarantees is that more tax money will be spent and it will take more time (years) to reactivate these sites. Seriously, after all that's been done, discussed and spent on the city hall annex/courthouse site, the next step is to market it with the direction for infill to include something that activates foot traffic on Bay Street? We've known that for nearly 20 years now.

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 11:28:06 AM »
Sleiman: "Here's my proposal for a new Landing."

City: "It needs some tweaks. Let's commission Wakefield Beasly for help on a redesign."

Sleimain: "I love their plan! Let's partner on it! You operate the public spaces, I'll leverage my unparalled local expertise to operate the restaurant and retail."

City: "Naw, we're gonna bulldoze the Landing and buy you out instead."

Sleiman: "..."

Wrecking ball: "BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!"

City: "Wait, maybe we do the Wakefield Beasley plan?"

---

The Courthouse/Annex RFP is baffling to me.

I'm all for seeing it developed, but I don't understand why we identifed that space as the best strategic location for a convention center, put out a ridiculous RFP for a billion dollar facility, balked at the price tag, and then completely eliminated a more reasonably sized convention center from the discussion about the property.

Obvious answer is that someone decided that we'd rather have it at the sports complex down the line, leveraging Lot J's parking and entertainment infrastructure, but if that's the case, just come out and say it so we can publicly have that discussion.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »
About that throw-away paragraph at the end, about the Greyhound lot
Nikki Kimbleton, the city’s director of public affairs, said the parking lot owner has been fined for the unauthorized paving and is in negotiations with city code enforcement officials about what’s next for that use.

“Right now we’re in the process of communicating with them,” Kimbleton said. “You can’t take it back. The damage is done.”

The property owner illegally paved the lot, is "in negotiations" about fines, and continues to make money while all this goes on.  Since the lot is illegal, put some nice big city padlocks on the gates.  Why should the owner make money from an illegal action?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
Obvious answer is that someone decided that we'd rather have it at the sports complex down the line, leveraging Lot J's parking and entertainment infrastructure, but if that's the case, just come out and say it so we can publicly have that discussion.

Amazing to me that we built the Prime Osborne, realized it didn't work because it's disconnected from the core, so we're deciding to build it at the sports complex, which is equally disconnected the other direction.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
^The problem is "we" didn't decide. That was a closed door decision made by those who likely don't even know or comprehend the full history, cause and effect of why and how we got to this point today. Because of that ignorance, even well intended dreams can be destined to follow the same path of failure as the generations before them. Unfortunately, groups like the civic council, who gave their public opinion on everything Alvin Brown proposed downtown, have been silent on the current issues.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 12:26:43 PM »
My take....

Old Courthouse: They mentioned a "city owned parcel east of the Hyatt". Is that the Landing East lot or the small parking lot on Bay Street next to the Main St Bridge Ramp? Also, doesn't the Hyatt owner have an option on it? What's to stop them from responding with a P3 on a Exhibition Hall?

Time continues to tick. We're into the mayor's second term now and all we have to show for it is a vacant site, +$8 million in tax money spent, with a goal of being able to put it on the market eventually. In the meantime, it's a vacant hole of blight and inactivity.

Landing: Whatever. So stupid to kick everyone out then RFP the thing. I'll believe it when I see it in terms of development.

The plan is to basically do the same thing we did with the former courthouse site...waste more tax money on demolition and doing another study to tell us what we already know. Then we'll get around to putting it on the market. Sorry, that's not a redevelopment plan. Press pieces and fluff aside, in short, we're looking a a dead space of inactivity for the next few years, just like the former courthouse site.

JEA: I suppose good that Curry "thinks" JEA goes forward with the Ryan plan. But I won't celebrate until I see a tower crane on the site.

I expect them to move forward. I also hope, but doubt, that the DDRB will be able to get them to include street retail/dining facing Adams Street. However, I also expect the old JEA Tower will be sold and not be demolished since its not in COJ's hands.

Hotels: My Guess:

• AC Hotel By Marriott: Downtown Southbank, The District (Will happen enventually)
I'd like to see the District actually break ground and make some progress on the infrastructure before speculating about the individual projects that may or may not happen in the future.

• Courtyard By Marriott: Laura Street Trio (As soon as it can, will likely happen as Barnett is wrapping up and the Garage is coming)
- I believe this one will happen

• Hyatt Place: Hogan Street and Independent Drive (sounds like permits applied)
I believe this one will happen

• La Quinta: Ambassador Hotel (shockingly, I think this just might happen)
I believe this one will happen although I suspect they'll have to get DDRB approval at some point if they're going to do anything with the facade, parking, etc.

• Residence Inn by Marriott: Brooklyn (happening now effectively. Stupid design)
I believe this one will happen

• Unnamed hotel: Lot J  (may happen as I get the feeling COJ will effectively be paying for it and it would be a deal no one could turn down)
This one will happen but probably won't open before Curry's second term is up.

• Unnamed hotel: The Shipyards (not holding my breath)
Hahahaha

River City Brewing Co.: This land is so underutilized I can't believe someone hasn't responded up to this point. But, I've heard about those "unnamed developers" before....so....let me know when there is something to talk about. If I were the city I'd push for something to happen here as it could be a cool area.
Not a project. I'll get back on this one when there is an actual proposal.

Berkman Plaza II: lol. Shocking that the Wally-world thing didn't work out.
Something will get done or it will be blown up before Curry leaves office.

Duval County Jail: Nothing to report and not going to happen during Curry's admin which we all knew but now he's saying it, which is actually good (rather than than total BS about moving it within the next 4 years) No need to spend this money unless there's an urgent need to expand as there's WAY cheaper low hanging fruit.

I don't see anything happening here. However, it isn't essential to the redevelopment of downtown at the stage of revitalization that we're currently in.

Greyhound parking lot: This was a paragraph that said nothing.

It will be a parking lot for years.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:41:21 PM by thelakelander »