Author Topic: Let's Make The DIA The Next Thing We Demolish Downtown  (Read 1272 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Let's Make The DIA The Next Thing We Demolish Downtown
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:21:21 AM »

While the Downtown Investment Authority is officially tasked with building up Downtown, in recent months it has taken to tearing it down instead. If Jacksonville ever wants to see a thriving downtown, something drastic needs to change at the DIA.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/lets-make-the-dia-the-next-thing-we-demolish-downtown/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:57:48 PM by Tacachale »
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Charles Hunter

Re: Let's Make The DIA The Next Thing We Demolish Downtown
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »
Excellent article.  The agency either needs to be independent or abolished.

CityLife

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
Hopefully DIA V2 with Lori Boyer can get it's sea legs and make some things happen.

There is an open position for a "Redevelopment Coordinator" at the DIA right now, which is really just a mid level role there, but a good opportunity to bring in someone with fresh ideas and outside experience. Hopefully they can bring some talent in, but that is no easy task in this economy. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
Hopefully DIA V2 with Lori Boyer can get it's sea legs and make some things happen.   

But the DIA ain't got no legs Lieutenant Dan.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »
I assume some people on this forum are well-qualified and it looks like Lori Boyer is trying to get some positions filled. This could be a great opportunity to influence the city of Jacksonville with some of the good urban design practices this website constantly shares!

Boyer said she’s looking for someone with expertise in urban design and landscape architecture or who worked in construction management. The position will report to Parola.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dia-will-address-low-staffing-levels-fill-vacant-positions

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
Kerry or North Miami would be great fits.

MusicMan

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »
Does Lori Boyer know Ennis? He's got more understanding of what makes a city work, at the street/pedestrian level, than anyone in North Florida.

If not they should meet......  Before things get any worse!

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
Does Lori Boyer know Ennis? He's got more understanding of what makes a city work, at the street/pedestrian level, than anyone in North Florida.

If not they should meet......  Before things get any worse!

yes

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
While it doesn't hurt having people with urban design experience employed by the City, the real problem is with entiries like the DDRB.  It should be filled with urban activist not the incessant relationship between developers, industry professionals, and City board members we have now.  Put me and some other like-minded individuals on the DDRB and you would get a whole different downtown.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »
Put me and some other like-minded individuals on the DDRB and you would get a whole different downtown.

That I would agree with!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
While it doesn't hurt having people with urban design experience employed by the City, the real problem is with entiries like the DDRB.  It should be filled with urban activist not the incessant relationship between developers, industry professionals, and City board members we have now.  Put me and some other like-minded individuals on the DDRB and you would get a whole different downtown.

A more serious reply. I don’t think having developers and industry professionals is the issue. The challenge is finding the RIGHT developers and professionals. It can’t just be urban minded activists. I suppose you could have 1 or 2, but you have to have professional knowledge from people that know what they’re doing.

Example: The Residence Inn In Brooklyn. The developer of the project is right to call out the buried utilities under Price St. As urban advocates, I’d say screw the utilities and build on top of them.

What a good developer/land planner/architect does is say, “ok the issue is legit. How do we design this thing so it fits in to the urban fabric better?”. Lakelander had the suggestion of just moving the building so it properly fronts Magnolia, which I thought was a good compromise. Forest St’s Widening screwed up a bunch of stuff, but it’s not the developer’s job to fix that mess (road diet, anyone?).

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »

A more serious reply. I don’t think having developers and industry professionals is the issue. The challenge is finding the RIGHT developers and professionals. It can’t just be urban minded activists. I suppose you could have 1 or 2, but you have to have professional knowledge from people that know what they’re doing.

Example: The Residence Inn In Brooklyn. The developer of the project is right to call out the buried utilities under Price St. As urban advocates, I’d say screw the utilities and build on top of them.

What a good developer/land planner/architect does is say, “ok the issue is legit. How do we design this thing so it fits in to the urban fabric better?”. Lakelander had the suggestion of just moving the building so it properly fronts Magnolia, which I thought was a good compromise. Forest St’s Widening screwed up a bunch of stuff, but it’s not the developer’s job to fix that mess (road diet, anyone?).

That is actually a perfect example to use.  It isn't the DDRB job to give a crap about the utility lines either.  That is an issue between the developer, the utility company, and the City.  All the DDRB should care about is good urbanism.  They need to tell the developer what ever it they are building HAS TO COMPLY with urban design standards in place.  The developer has multiple choice: design something else that complies, work to get the utilities moved, or go build somewhere else.  What happens now is a bunch of people looking for their next job contract gives everyone a pass.  I saw it first hand with the Gate Gas Station - something like 10 variances were given when Gate was perfectly capable of building an urban gas station.  They just didn't want to modify their standard site plan - plain and simple.

If it was urban activists on the board there would either be an urban gas station there or a vacant lot.  Instead we got the, "if we don't approve it the land will sit vacant and we won't have the 6 jobs" excuse.  Activist don't care about that.  The land can sit vacant for all I care and those 6 jobs will just go to the next suburban gas station.
Third Place