Author Topic: Lights for Liberty Vigil  (Read 387 times)

Charles Hunter

Lights for Liberty Vigil
« on: July 09, 2019, 06:55:11 PM »
Ran across this on Facebook, and thought I'd share it here.
This Friday evening, there will be a Lights for Liberty: A Vigil to End Human Concentration Camps, at Friendship Fountain.
From their Facebook Event:
On Friday July 12th, 2019, Lights for Liberty: A Vigil to End Human Detention Camps, will bring thousands of Americans to detention camps across the country, into the streets and into their own front yards, to protest the inhumane conditions faced by refugees.

People will begin arriving at 7pm local time at locations around the nation. At five main locations, legislators, activists, and organizers will speak until 9pm. At 9pm local time, at every detention camp, and in cities, towns, and homes around America, a silent sea of candles will light up the nation.

Lights for Liberty seeks to create this vigil in solidarity and allyship with communities most impacted by the abuse of our immigration system. We are moved to mobilize with anyone: moms, dads, and people of moral conscience who cannot stand to see families and communities destroyed.

According to the national website of Lights for Liberty website, there are hundreds of events all over the US and around the world.
https://www.lightsforliberty.org/

For those with Facebook, the Event Page  https://www.facebook.com/events/589085248282635/

blizz01

Re: Lights for Liberty Vigil
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:23:41 PM »
Interesting, I thought the last concentration camp was liberated April 11th, 1945. 

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:36:01 AM »
Interesting, I thought the last concentration camp was liberated April 11th, 1945.

It may be that you don't know what a concentration camp is. It might also be interesting to you to to find out that the term was used at least as far back as the Boer War. I get your pithy comment, but perhaps you are confusing "concentration camps" and "death camps".
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

blizz01

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 01:00:56 AM »
Nope.  A quick Google search defines what a concentration camp is/was - and its most common associations.  The above is nothing more than convenient linguistic evolution.  While an absolute disgrace, I choose to personally not give the current crisis equal weighting as not to dilute the abhorrent reality of what recent generations recognize as a "concentration camp".

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:20:57 AM »
Nope.  A quick Google search defines what a concentration camp is/was - and its most common associations.  The above is nothing more than convenient linguistic evolution.  While an absolute disgrace, I choose to personally not give the current crisis equal weighting as not to dilute the abhorrent reality of what recent generations recognize as a "concentration camp".

Whether or not the immigration detention camps are "concentration camps" is a matter for debate (I personally think it's over-egging the custard more than a little bit).

But you contended that the last concentration camp was liberated April 11, 1945. And that's not remotely true at all, regardless of whether or not the camps in the USA meet the definition.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:02:02 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Lucasjj

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »

From a quick Google search

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concentration%20camp

Emphasis Mine

Definition of concentration camp
: a place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard —used especially in reference to camps created by the Nazis in World War II for the internment and persecution of Jews and other prisoners

I will not argue that this is the most known association of a concentration camp, but it is one none the less. And it is harmful to the people held there and this country to start qualifying the definition of a concentration camp.

DrQue

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 11:38:35 AM »

Cambodians would like a word.

Lucasjj

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 01:01:47 PM »

Cambodians would like a word.

So too would the Japanese Americans who were locked up in US concentration camps until March of 1946.

And the last Nazi concentration camp was not liberated until May 8, 1945.